PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever tried pemican?

oldtrap59
09-27-2011, 01:40 PM
As I have gone through different threads I see alot of comments on jerky but don't see anything on pemican. I have spent time on the net looking for and finding how to make it but have never tried it myself. It acually sounds like it is pretty easy to make and store. Also sounds to be a really good energy source per the early native americans and voyagers of the north used it alot on long treks.

Question is. Have any of our forum members ever tried making and using pemican? If so what would you think of it as a packable emergency food source now?

Oldtrap

crashdive123
09-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I have not made any. I have had some that others made though. While I understand the need for fat and calories in certain situations, I hope that my planning and preparations keep me clear of those situations. If I were more rural and had to "earn my keep" so to speak, there would probably be a need for a high calorie diet. Right now I am trying to do the opposite. Here is an older thread discussing it. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?674-Homemade-Pemmican-Recipe&highlight=pemican

oldtrap59
09-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks Crash. Just read through that thread and learned some things. Think I'll be trying the peanut butter recipe. Sounds abit more to my liking. Although the suet recipe probably is ok with the fruits and nuts added.

Oldtrap