PDA

View Full Version : My son's first antelope buck

lucznik
09-23-2011, 10:04 PM
I thought I would post a quick picture of my son with his first buck antelope. He made the shot at about 150 yards with a 7-08 Rem. Hunting with your kid is so much better than just doing it yourself...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j104/lucznik/Canon059.jpg

Rick
09-23-2011, 10:06 PM
It just doesn't get any better than that. Unless it's your grandkid. Congratulate him for us.

Willie
09-23-2011, 10:18 PM
That's a nice buck. Its good to see not all kids are stuck behind a video game 24/7. Congrats. My son is 21 and just now showing intrest in hunting with me.

Winter
09-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Nice job Lad, buy him a beer for me....

Skinner
09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Nice Buck .Yea Always Good to Do Things With the Kids And They Learn some things Too. My Youngest Asked to Go Do Some Skinning Of Deer this Year .That Was Nice to Hear .

Winter
09-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Kids enjoy things they are not pushed into. They see dad having fun or into something and they come around.

woodsman86
09-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Great looking buck. I can't wait for my son to get old enough.

Sparky93
09-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Congrats to your son! I don't know nothing about pronghorns but that looks pretty awesome speed goat (to quote Micheal Waddel) to me!

Woodmaster750
09-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Nice. Tell your son congrats.

lucznik
09-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Congrats to your son! I don't know nothing about pronghorns but that looks pretty awesome speed goat (to quote Micheal Waddel) to me!

From a technical, trophy hunter's standpoint from the horn bottom to the prong he's pretty good. Good mass, the prong falls well above the ear, etc. However, I misjudged him in the quickly-darkening evening light and he's not as long as I would have preferred above the prong. In the end it's a nice buck but, he's not a great buck.

From a father-hunting-with-son standpoint he's an awesome trophy as we had a blast together glassing and evaluating different bucks and then finishing off the evening with a successful shot. You just can't buy experiences like these.

your_comforting_company
09-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Nice harvest and got to share it with the kid too! That's really great luc!

Are you keeping those horns?

oldtrap59
09-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Makes me remember back 20 years ago when my son got his first white tail. Iowa just started having a youth season and I took him out to have a try at it. The first weekend out he got a buck that I would have been proud of myself. Now he talks about taking his son out(little young yet) as soon as he can. Seems it was something of an experience he wants to pass on down the line. Makes me smile inside when I hear him talk about it.

Nice pronghorn. Good shot. Goodtime for Dad and Son. What more can you ask for. Tell your son congrats.

Oldtrap

lucznik
09-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Are you keeping those horns?

No... but he is ;-)

finallyME
09-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Excellent shot. I always love doing stuff with my boys. Thanks for sharing.

Sparky93
09-28-2011, 12:06 AM
I remember my first whitetain buck I killed, I was shaking so bad after I shot that I could barely talk LOL. So how does pronghorn taste in comparison to venison? I've never had it before, most people say they hate venison because it tastes to "gamey" but I love it!

lucznik
09-28-2011, 10:46 AM
So how does pronghorn taste in comparison to venison? I've never had it before...

Pronghorn has its own very unique flavor. It is a stronger flavor than your typical venison; much more so than moose or elk and to a lesser extent than deer. Some people really hate it (my boss says the best way to eat pronghorn is to fry it up in a cast iron skillet with some bacon and onions, then throw away the meat and eat the pan) and some people (like me) really like it. Surprisingly, my wife, who doesn't really like game meat at all, actually likes pronghorn. Mostly though, we just make it into jerky.

The overall quality of the meat you get depends a lot on how well the meat is taken care of after the shot. There's a combination of factors involved. Most pronghorn hunting is done in relatively high temperatures (70*+) and unlike deer that have the one scent gland at the back of each hind leg, pronghorn have numerous glands at various locations on their bodies (tail, neck, etc.) so; it's really paramount that you get the hide off and the meat cooled very quickly and that while doing so, you are touching the outside of the hide as little as possible. Done right pronghorn meat is delicious but, done wrong and it will be the gamiest meat you ever "enjoy."

Sparky93
09-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Interesting, Lucznik. I did'nt know that, thanks.

bobzilla
09-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Hunt with them while you can,they grow up too fast,nothing bonds father and son better than a hunting trip that will be talked about for years to come!

Congratulation on a beautiful buck and a new hunter,good combination?

Thanks,Bob