PDA

View Full Version : Time and food

SemperFi
09-20-2011, 10:09 AM
After reading alot of posts and actually looking at the food storage sites , Ive come to the conclusion theres many different types of food for different types of situations . I suppose if you have the time and fuel reserves (and the water reserves) spending 20 minutes to cook a meal might not be a bad thing , maybe in the winter time when snow is on the ground (more of a water supply) ,after the emergency has waned (and your still under foot) , but to have a fresh supply of food in an instant cooking for 20 minutes wouldnt be advisable .If im in a situation where I dont have the fuel to heat it (hopefully Ill at least have water) , I can at the minimum re-hydrate the meal in a few minutes and eat , which brings me to MREs as much as I dont like MREs , they are nutritional and they are "ready to eat" (they also have the right calorie content), protein bars same thing!

Can someone post a schedule of these foods or is there something that shows the emergency and complimentary meals? Just curious because if your just getting into the whole food storage thing , do you really want to stock up with a certain kind of food without knowing what the circumstances are? You might be laid up with $2000 worth of dried foods that are gonna be a bear to deal with because you dont have water or fuel!

SARKY
09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Unless there is absolutely nothing combustible, you should still have fuel of some sort. Water, well that is a whole different problem not just in it's availability but in it's quality(ie. potable). also water no matter whether it is in a canteen or in the MRE is still weight and volume. I would rather scout out good water sources now then be blindly searching for them when i need them. The same goes for a good stand of woods.

Rick
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
SF - I think your observation is an excellent one. I've expanded my options because of some of the things you mention. There well could be times when having a fire is ill advised for a lot of reasons or if you happen to be on the move then you want something that you can eat right now and don't have to heat. I have APak meals (civilian MRE's) for that very reason. I carry them on the trail on occasion as well. I have Clif Bars, Millennium Bars and Granola Bars stashed away, too.

I'm not aware of any type of schedule that would outline what you want but it's a great idea.

SemperFi
09-21-2011, 08:53 AM
But Sarky you cant really scout out good water sources now, they may not be there when you need them, nothings worse than walking 20 miles to a source and it isnt there anymore or is contaminated! I will try to figure this out RIck!

BENESSE
09-21-2011, 10:04 AM
SF, this may or may not touch on what you've brought up but I can tell you what my approach has been for a lot of reasons you mention.
My starting point was a worst case scenario for me (NYC, high rise apt.)--no fuel, no fire, extremely limited water intended mostly for drinking, have to stay indoors.
So, I stocked up a lot of canned food (and pouches)--various beans and legumes, veggies, sardines, tuna & salmon, high fiber cereals and high protein/high nutrition bars, raw almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruit, etc. stuff we consume anyway.
From there I branched out to food that requires minimal prep/water--freeze-dried, instant stuff like oatmeal, soup, grits, powdered milk, and fast cooking stuff like 5min. rice. And of course, tons of water and seltzer (we're addicted to it)
I think of it in terms of starting my preps for code red and working my way down to green.

oldtrap59
09-21-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm setup in two different places and would call either one a bugin. The house we live in or the cabin up on the river. We are pretty much setup for the worst at either place. If it comes to it at either place we can pack to the other one in about a day. Both have a well supplied pantry,arms and ammo for hunting and protection and equipment to garden if conditions allow. We also just installed a 1200 gal plastic tank for water storage at the cabin. (already had one here at the house) Hope I never have to use it but it will keep us going for awhile. I wouldn't use MRE's unless all else failed but do stock a few. I'd hate to think I had to live on them.

Oldtrap

Rick
09-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Okay, so remind me again. EXACTLY where is that cabin.:whistling:

SARKY
09-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Why do people think you need a white mans (bonfire) to cook on? since most of this cooking will be just boiling water, the smell of food will not permeate as much as if you were cooking a big old pot of stew for hours on the fire. Again with water sources, it is plural. Add to that water storage and a water catchment system. Hell you can run around in a dew laden field and squeeze the water out of your clothes if you have to. Water will always be the biggest hurdle even if you have a well. You must ensure it's safe potability or you could be in for a rough time of it. And you are limited to about 3 days (climate and physical exertion factors change that) without it.

SemperFi
09-22-2011, 12:20 PM
very true Sarky , white mans fire? Never heard that one and I lived in Mississippi! but keeping that well safe will be a hurdle ! and Benesse I hear what your saying , I always have lots of stuff like you mentioned in the pantry , the wife doesnt understand it , but if we ever get in that situation we'll have plenty of food (not too mention the long term stuff ive saved) , oldtrap I agree I would hate to think of my survival coming down to eating MREs but if thats what it takes Im willing!

BENESSE
09-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather eat MREs and Datrex bars than hunt mice and dig for grubs.

Rick
09-22-2011, 12:43 PM
A large fire is not my personal concern but having to conserve water for just drinking could be. Not being able to stop or not wanting to stop if on the move will be easier if you have some type of food that doesn't need preparation. If I have no water then food prep is pretty much a non issue. I won't be eating no matter what I have. More food eaten = higher need for water. It also provides some measure of comfort if the kids have something they can eat even if it's just a couple of ounces. I have astronaut ice cream for just that reason.

kyratshooter
09-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Makes me glad I live in the woods by the lake.

SemperFi
09-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Well I live on the lake but as Rick has said if the lake becomes contaminated for whatever reason , it may not be a good thing , sure you might be able to pool water for the short term but eventually that water will become contaminated as well, then what?
As far as traveling is concerned , if your traveling by foot , protein bars are the way to go and yes to some extent MREs because they are stacked with life saving calories , short trips protein bars , long trips MREs!