PDA

View Full Version : Soft Wheel Grinding

crashdive123
09-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I posted this in the knife sub forum as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuCgpgAmgLc

Pal334
09-20-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks for sharing, I like that sander setup

Rick
09-20-2011, 06:53 AM
You are grinding the bevel with the belt running into the knife edge (counter clock-wise in the video). Doesn't the knife tend to catch on the belt? I've always sanded stuff with the belt running away from the material. Not saying it's wrong that way I just always felt like the belt would pull the material if it caught. It obviously works well for you. Hope that made sense.

crashdive123
09-20-2011, 08:25 AM
I haven't had it catch yet. If it does, it would sling the blade (get it - sling blade) either down, or toward the back of the bench. Rotating the other way I would think it would throw the blade up, or toward me. So far, so good. Using the contact wheel rather than a flat surface I think it is less likely to "catch an edge". When I sharpen them, I use the slack belt area above the contact wheel with the edge oriented down.

Cousin-IT
10-24-2011, 11:50 PM
You are grinding the bevel with the belt running into the knife edge (counter clock-wise in the video). Doesn't the knife tend to catch on the belt? I've always sanded stuff with the belt running away from the material. Not saying it's wrong that way I just always felt like the belt would pull the material if it caught. It obviously works well for you. Hope that made sense.

he was just polishing the bevel not actually making it. and because of the roundness of the belt sander he wasn't actually any where near the edge of the blade. and doing it the way he did stapped the sander "eating" the blade and pulling the top of the blade into to be polished which would have .....mared?...... the desticnt line between the top of the blade and the bevel.

-in short doing it that way makes it prettier

-am i right crash? oh and did you make it from a length of flat blach bar? i noticed the typical look of polished down black bar is all
...my dad's a boiler maker :)