PDA

View Full Version : Dry bags, one big one..or several smaller bags?

hunter63
09-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Have been using three medium dry bags for canoe camping for quite some time.

Saturday I happened to be a a yard sale and picked up a duffel size dry bag for $5 bucks, with pack straps....good shape.

Starting to think about how to pack it the thought occurred to be that I would essentially be putting "all my eggs in one basket" so to speak.

So as the smaller bags all have redundant emergency supplies, like PSK and TP plus other packed supplies.....I'm thinking, why ruin a good thing?

I'll find a use for this bag I'm sure, but for right now, I not gonna "rock the boat" (ha, ha).

So what do y'all pack your stuff in? One big bag or a bunch of smaller ones.

finallyME
09-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes. I pack it in smaller bags, and then put them in one big one.

Rick
09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I use various sized bags. I'd like to have a large one but the things are pretty expensive and it hasn't been a priority since I have the smaller ones. I think if you are carefully how you pack and seal there shouldn't be a problem. If you portage at all then the larger one would be the way to go, IMO.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
They all float but a big one will float you....

natertot
09-20-2011, 08:36 PM
I use a big one to put most everything in. I then use one smaller one inside of it yet that holds important essentials. Usually TP, extra fire stuff, extra pair of socks, and a few 1st aid items. Even with the one big one, I have never had water get in. I always insoect them before heading out to make sure holes haven't developed.

Winter
09-21-2011, 12:07 AM
I have one hell of a time with one big one as a ruck liner. It's hard to get in the pack when it's full and hard to purge and roll when packed after put in the ruck.