PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit wire

backtobasics
09-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Is one inch small enough for the bottom of the hutch? Thanks

kyratshooter
09-11-2011, 10:51 PM
No!

You will need 1/4" hardware screen for the bottom of the hutch. It is heavier and galvanized and the bunnies' feet will not fall through. You could loose a whole kit dropping through the bottom made of 1" rabbit wire

Dink
04-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Actually, 1/4" hardware cloth is a bit to small. I use 1/2" for the bottoms, it doesn't bother their feet, even the little ones get along on it very well. I use 1"x2" wire for the sides of my cages and I use the 1/4" for a 6" buffer along the bottom edges of the sides to keep babies from getting out, but you need larger than 1/4" for droppings to get through.

Durtyoleman
04-19-2012, 06:05 PM
They say to use 1/2x1 welded wire for the larger breeds since it is supposed to be easier on the pregnant does feet, but there are removable mats you can get for the cages as well. I use 1/2 inch hardware cloth on my hutches for bottom and sides, it's less costly than the 1/2x1 most breeders reccomend and I've had no problems. Just keep it clean and disinfect it regularly. Same with the nest boxes, I had one does that insisted on using the nest box as a toilet and killed her kits with the ammonia. She became stew.
D.O.M.