PDA

View Full Version : When to move a tree?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-11-2011, 09:03 AM
I have a 5" at base white oak that uprooted from the side of the ditch, It is alive and I want to move it up by the house? I transplanted a new growth white oak this summer and it is doing great! What are my chances this time of year?

Rick
09-11-2011, 11:42 AM
You're chances should be pretty good. Remember that the root base is approximately the size of the overhang so when you move the tree you will have to trim back the top. The roots won't be able to feed it otherwise.

If you are moving up to the house remember to keep if far enough back so the limbs won't overhang the house in 20 years. Keep it away from any areas that you use for a garden or the roots will eventually steal your water and nutrients from the garden. And keep it away from any clay tile drainage or sewer lines so the roots don't find a new home.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks Rick! I am going to try and get the entire root mass. I f I cannot it is good to know to cut back the tree. I think it'll work fine. I was going to do it today but it didn't work out for me to have the time. Should of got up before 4am...

Rick
09-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Take a felt tip marker and place a mark on the bark of the tree. When you transplant the tree make sure the mark is facing the same direction it was prior to transplanting. You can get sun scald on the tree if you suddenly expose a side to the sun that was not getting it before. Sort of like giving yourself a buzz then going out in the sun. If you have some prominent feature on the tree that you can remember then you don't have to do the felt tip thing but it helps.

Check your root ball for any damaged roots and make a sharp cut on them so they can heal properly. You don't want a ratty, torn root stuck in the ground.

Finally, make the new hole about three times the width of the root ball and water it well before planting. If you don't when you plant the tree and water it the soil will act like a sponge and suck the water away from the tree. So it's important that the ground be good and wet so the dirt around the tree can hold water. The extra width will give the roots softer soil to start growing in.

Pics or it....well, you know.

mouse111111
09-12-2011, 09:25 AM
A good, sharp, grub ax makes transplanting trees easier.

crashdive123
09-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Renting a hydraulic tree spade makes it easier still.

Rick
09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Hiring someone else to do it.....Priceless.