PDA

View Full Version : How to scare off a bear?

JC!
08-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Anyone an expert on bear (mainly grizzly bear) behavior?

Scenario: I'm in a situation where a bear seems uncomfortable, or is obviously not considering me as prey, and I want to scare it away.
I will be armed with bear spray and a Leatherman TTI as plan B if I must defend myself.

I've read that it is not uncommon for a bear to first stand his/her ground, then charge in your direction, and veers to the side when it gets close to you. That's their warning.
My plan is to imitate that warning by standing my ground, then charge, and veer off, and repeat if necessary.
I would like to know If this is considerable to work not based on my life, but by facts, and if you could help me develop a more complete plan to make this work.

Please let me know if this thread belongs in a different forum, because I had trouble choosing where it should go.

Winter
08-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Your strategy for bear is unsound.

1stimestar
08-26-2011, 03:31 AM
No, if you make yourself a threat to a grizzly by doing your own bluff charge, you will be turned into bear kibble.

Rick
08-26-2011, 08:42 AM
You need to practice quite a bit to get it down right. A strategy I've used with great success is to stand in front of a mirror, generally with my pack on, and make myself as large as possible. You can do this by pulling your pack off and raising it over your head. When an animal sees another animal larger than itself it seldom engages. If you don't have your pack with you then simply raise your arms and puff up as large as you can to make yourself appear larger. Don't wait until you confront a bear. You have to practice this to get it right and to develop muscle memory so it becomes instinctive. Now, practice walking slowly around the room always maintaining your enhanced size toward the mirror as if it were the bear. Take some serious time to recognize how foolish you look. You'll look that way to a bear, too.

finallyME
08-26-2011, 12:47 PM
That might work for black bears, but not grizzlies.

Sarge47
08-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Forget the Leatherman, if you stab a Grizzley with that you're only going to pi$$ it off! If the bear spray fails drop to the ground, roll up in the fetal position, tuck your knees between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye! :cool2: Grizzles are NEVER to be messed with! The only thing worse than a hungry or protective Grizzly is a wounded Grizzly.

JC!
08-27-2011, 09:54 PM
You need to practice quite a bit to get it down right. A strategy I've used with great success is to stand in front of a mirror, generally with my pack on, and make myself as large as possible. You can do this by pulling your pack off and raising it over your head. When an animal sees another animal larger than itself it seldom engages. If you don't have your pack with you then simply raise your arms and puff up as large as you can to make yourself appear larger. Don't wait until you confront a bear. You have to practice this to get it right and to develop muscle memory so it becomes instinctive. Now, practice walking slowly around the room always maintaining your enhanced size toward the mirror as if it were the bear. Take some serious time to recognize how foolish you look. You'll look that way to a bear, too.

Thanks. I will adopt the strategy you requested.

I have further questions.
In most google searches, to escape confrontation, you are not to lock eyes. In the situation that this thread is posted upon, would eye-locking be a pro or a con, and why?

I asked if feint-charging the bear would be a feasible option. Do you agree/disagree? why?

I've heard that bears are really fast, and if it chooses to attack, you have a very slim chance of getting away. In the instance that I am being attacked, I would rather know several possibly fatal areas that I could use my "teeth, claws, leatherman" to end the attacker, or injure enough that it leaves. Sadly my google searches up to this point hasn't been successful in pictures or descriptions of the anatomy and "fatal blow" points of bears. Just some urban legend of a guy that killed a bear by his teeth to a bear's major artery.

If anyone would like to help pick out pros and cons of my original reaction to a bear, please do so at your leisure:
Imagine a 21yr old male, 5'8", 165ibs, medium build, wide stance, arms outstretched like a zombie with claws, mouth open wide so teeth show with saliva dripping out, eyes locked, and yelling like a demonic spartan on steroids, following through with a fient-charge.

Winter
08-27-2011, 10:22 PM
People win knife fights with bear. It happens.

Should it be a strategy? No

If you are, regrettably, in a knife fight with a bear you have to cause pain more than you have to kill. Puncture trauma to the liver is the most severe pain a mammal will face. Your leatherman may not be long enough. Injuries to the face are very painful. Target the nasal area.

After pain is panic. Disrupting air supply will cause panic. This is another reason to target the nasal area.

If you are seriously looking at a knife for bear defense, you need something long and slim. A green river pig sticker comes to mind.

This whole train of thought is unsound.

edr730
08-28-2011, 01:25 AM
A friend was up an apple tree bow hunting. A black bear came around and he decided to mess with it. He growled at the bear loud. The bear charged and began climbing the tree he was in. He shot the bear and the bear shimmied down the tree and ran off. The growling didn't work very well to scare the bear. The weapon did. I've been on top of bear and made them walk away with blowing out my mouth. Usually they will leave or run when they know you are there.

Rick
08-28-2011, 08:53 AM
I've always locked eyes with bears. The easiest method is to place your nose on its nose. Once you are in this position wrap your right arm around the bear's middle and grab the bear's right paw with your left hand. Be certain to let them lead. Tango's seem to be their favorite.

BENESSE
08-28-2011, 09:35 AM
I've always locked eyes with bears. The easiest method is to place your nose on its nose. Once you are in this position wrap your right arm around the bear's middle and grab the bear's right paw with your left hand. Be certain to let them lead. Tango's seem to be their favorite.

Always a good dating advice.

tsitenha
08-28-2011, 07:06 PM
I think Davy Crockett used to "grin" a bear but that was Davy

another zombie stargazer numpty (not Davy C)

crashdive123
08-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Just show the bear this thread. While it is laughing and unable to focus, make your get away.

Rick
08-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Tsitenha - A little known Cliff Clavin fact is Davy Crockett did, in fact, grin a bear quite often. He became well known in bear circles as Grinnin' Davy. Davy's exploits at grinning a bear were so common knowledge in his day that a phrase was coined, Grin a Bear Crockett or as we know it today, grin and bear it. When the British in Cheshire learned of his exploits they were a bit jealous so the really cool Brits started their own phrase, Grin like a Cheshire Cat.

tsitenha
08-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks Rick, the things I learn here are absolutly

tsitenha
08-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Got side tracked a bit... I felt a "grin" comming on and was looking for a bear

Rick
08-29-2011, 06:04 PM
I understand. When that happens it's just hard to ..... wait for it ..... bear it.

DOGMAN
08-29-2011, 06:56 PM
I am not an expert....I'd call myself more of an advanced intermediate in Grizzly Bear avoidance tactics. For those of us in the know however, the technique you've developed is very similar to the "Treadwell Method". This technique has been proven to be not just ineffective- but fatal.

Your listed specs: "21yr old male, 5'8", 165ibs, medium build, wide stance, arms outstretched like a zombie with claws, mouth open wide so teeth show with saliva dripping out, eyes locked, and yelling like a demonic spartan on steroids" wouldn't be scary to most grown men- much less to a Griz. Do you know how large a full grown male grizzly can get?....your comparing "Mini-Me" to a Professional Wrestler here. A griz wouldn't even think twice about taking you down.

The Bear Spray is a good idea though...stick with that. Avoid eye contact and back away slowly. THere is Lots more advice than that out there though, I'd suggest getting a book on Grizzlies and reading that, and also a book on avoiding bear conflicts.

Just out of curiosity are you in Grizzly country? If so, where?

1stimestar
08-30-2011, 04:22 AM
If so, I'd say not for long.

hossthehermit
08-30-2011, 04:47 AM
I, on the other hand would say, would say "forever".

JC!
08-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Thank you Rick, Winter, and DOGMAN for your contributions.

To have a defensive strategy for bears (and other wild animals) makes me feel safer to go along with my plans for adventure.
This is the basic knowledge I have extracted from this thread:

-Make your image appear larger
-Bear spray
-Hit in nasal area to cause pain and panic by disrupting air supply
-Puncture trauma to the liver to cause severe pain

To DOGMAN: I don't live in grizzly country. I have heard that there are grizzlies in/around the vicinity of the Rocky Mountains, which is the finale of my upcoming solo bike tour.

DOGMAN
08-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Thank you Rick, Winter, and DOGMAN for your contributions.

To have a defensive strategy for bears (and other wild animals) makes me feel safer to go along with my plans for adventure.
This is the basic knowledge I have extracted from this thread:

-Make your image appear larger
-Bear spray
-Hit in nasal area to cause pain and panic by disrupting air supply
-Puncture trauma to the liver to cause severe pain

To DOGMAN: I don't live in grizzly country. I have heard that there are grizzlies in/around the vicinity of the Rocky Mountains, which is the finale of my upcoming solo bike tour.

Disregard everything you just listed...except for carry bear spray. A guy was just killed in my neighborhood yesterday by a Grizzly. That is the second person in two months that has been killed by a Griz near here. Grizzlies are on my mind so much, that I even have a couple of dogs that go everywhere with me that are trained bear alert dogs.

You should get the book "Hiking with Grizzlies" by Tim Reubert, another good read is "Grizzly Country" by Andy Russell, and finally the Stephan Herrero "Bear Attacks: Their causes & avoidance"...............In these books you can really get the info you want and need. On message boards all your likely to get is made fun of and conflicting advice

finallyME
08-30-2011, 12:27 PM
The Rocky Mountains cover a very large area. Some parts have lots of grizzlies. Some have none. I have hiked a lot in the Rockies. I have seen a lot of black bears, never a grizzly. Dogman also is in the Rockies, and he probably has seen a lot of grizzlies.

Woodmaster750
08-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks Dogman on the books to read. SEMPER FI.

Rick
08-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes, I think you have a good plan going. There is a much better way to halt a grizzly than an injury to the liver, however, it does require being behind the bear. This takes a good deal of patience and practice but works every time. Work your way around and behind the grizzly. Sneak up close enough that you can lift his tail. This is where the patience comes in. You can't just grab the tail you have to slowly lift it. If you do it correctly the bear will not even know you are there. If he turns on you then you did it wrong and you'll have to start all over. Once you get the tail raised then slowly insert your right index finger into the bear's rectum. I've tried other fingers but for some reason the right index works best. Once you get past the second knuckle the bear will generally become curious and turn to see what is going on and he'll have a curious look on his face. If you see that look, and you'll learn it, then you've done it exactly correct. Once the bear turns to look grab his bottom lip with your left hand and pull it up over his eyes and pull back on the bear with your right index finger. Everyone knows a bear can't run backwards and since he can no longer see he won't run forward. Now quickly pull your right index finger out of the bears rectum and you'll hear a popping sound when you finger comes free. This popping sound will startle the bear and it will actually lay down at which point you can walk away.

Don't worry about the bear. The lip will retract in about 30 minutes and I promise the bear will not be harmed in any way.

finallyME
08-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Rick, I did that with my left index finger, and it seemed to work just fine. Are you sure you aren't confusing your right hand from your left?

Rick
08-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Well, let me see. I used one and pinched the other. I put one in my mouth but it wasn't the one that hurt so that would....by golly...I think left index is right! Hard to forget that taste.

tsitenha
08-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Rick that was by far the best post :):):)

It was un bear ybly hilarious

Rick
08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
And I just bear ly tried.

Sarge47
08-31-2011, 07:47 AM
What ever you do when confronted by a Grizzly, do NOT do any of the following:

1.) Regarding about Rick's "fingering" method, DO NOT use your middle finger by waving it around in the "upright" position. This could anger the bear! :bored:

2.) Refrain from making any remarks about the bear's Mama! They're sensitive you know! :yes:

3.) Always completely extinguish campfires, otherwise Smokey the bear will kick your...! :cowboy:

4.) Always drive carefully and obey traffic laws, this way you can avoid the "Smoky Bears" on the highway! :laugh:

5.) If you see a Grizzly charging down on you and you know that the end is near you can always use your Leatherman to cut your wrists before the bear kills you! :scared:

6.) My preferred method of avoiding bear attacks is stay the crap out of bear country! I saw "Grizzly Man!" :yes:

hunter63
08-31-2011, 11:06 AM
I like using the running shoes and 3 bullet method, personally when in bear country.

RangerXanatos
08-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Out of curiosity, how close would a bear charge before turning? 20 feet, 5 feet...?

finallyME
08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
Well, let me see. I used one and pinched the other. I put one in my mouth but it wasn't the one that hurt so that would....by golly...I think left index is right! Hard to forget that taste.

See, I told you. Oh wait, maybe it was my right index finger that I used. Oh crap, now I have to go find another bear to test this on. I just got out of the hospital from the last one.

finallyME
08-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Out of curiosity, how close would a bear charge before turning? 20 feet, 5 feet...?

For a black bear, it would be until he either sees you as not worth it, or sees you as something that could hurt him. For a griz, they will charge until they don't see you any more.

1stimestar
09-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Oh my gosh you guys have won my highly sought after Steaming Foot Award! Too funny!

crashdive123
09-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Oh my gosh you guys have won my highly sought after Steaming Foot Award! Too funny!

If you'd use Rick's method instead of using your feet it might solve the steaming, stinking feet problem. Just sayin'.

Rick
09-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Out of curiosity, how close would a bear charge before turning?

I've found that a bear has no sense of economics and will continue to charge well beyond the established limit on the card. You'll wind up incurring monumental charges as a result. I know they are cute and cuddly and it's easy to fall in love with one but giving a bear your credit card is a recipe for disaster. Don't ask how I know. It's best to just give them cash each morning, give them a kiss and tell them to have fun. Far less expensive that way.

crashdive123
09-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Boy, ain't that the truth. Who was that Polar Bear....Newt?

kyratshooter
09-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Judging from my own past experiences with black bears in the eastern mountains there has been a terrible failure ion the part of survivalists on forums and wildlife magazine writers to properly educate the bears in this matter. The other part of the equatiuon might be that the bears were not paying attention in class.

I have found that they pretty much do what they want too and have no tape measures for detirming at what distance they will stop doing anything.

I also have found that the big blackies in the southern Apps really get peed off when you wave your arms around and yell at them. They think you are surrendering and move in to take your food. I hope you have food, otherwise you are no longer the top of the food chain.

And remember that there was a very receint time when firearms were not allowed in Federal Parks. I spent several nights on the roofs of trail shelters on the AT with a mama bear patrolling the area looking for fresh meat for her brood.

Not a year goes by that a blackie does not eat someone in the eastern U.S., and not all of them are kids smeared with honey for photo opps.

Rick
09-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Zingo! Bear measuring tapes. Why didn't I think of that? I'll bet not a single bear in the U.S. carries a tape measure. What a market. I'll make a for.....I mean, WE'll make a fortunate, ole buddy.

ryaninmichigan
09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I have found the defense is to take a slower dumber frenamy with me. I dont have to be faster then the bear, just faster then him..

1stimestar
09-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I just want to thank you OP and you other comedians for giving me a bit of brightness in my day. I have a terribly sad situation here that is coming to a final ending now, but this thread has been my entertainment for a couple of days now.

Sourdough
09-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I just want to thank you OP and you other comedians for giving me a bit of brightness in my day. I have a terribly sad situation here that is coming to a final ending now, but this thread has been my entertainment for a couple of days now.

Whats-up.........You OK........??? Can We help........?

Rick
09-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Gee, 1st, I'm sorry things are not going well. I will keep you in my prayers and hope things work out the way you want them to.

Ryan - I'm sorry to say that philosophy is simply no good and Scopes proved it was originally started by a Grizzly in Montana back in 2003. Here's what actually happens in that situation. The slower runner is caught rather easily by the bear. The bear actually runs past the slower runner giving the runner the misconception that he is saved. At the very last moment the bear will stick out it's leg, the runner will trip and perform an epic face plant. The bear will then touch the runner on the forehead pronouncing him, "IT". This is usually followed by "Touch me back, Touch me back, hurry up." Not wanting to be eaten the downed runner touches the bear who jumps up and says something like, "I'm it again" and he's off after the faster runner. Unless the fastest runner can find "home" and touch it the bear will continue the chase until he is no longer it. Here's the problem. No one really knows what home is and the bear doesn't have to share the information. When the bear finally tires of the game, which could last four or five hours, he will usually hide along the path ahead of the faster runner. Extremely exhausted and afraid the runner actually runs right into the bear who will jump up, roar as loud as he can, then tag the second runner who becomes "it". It's much better, in my opinion, to be the slower runner. Just watch out for the leg!

1stimestar
09-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Gee, 1st, I'm sorry things are not going well. I will keep you in my prayers and hope things work out the way you want them to.

Whats-up.........You OK........??? Can We help........?

I'm updating everyone through my blog. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts.

jsonlong
09-02-2011, 01:03 AM
http://juneauempire.com/local/2011-08-30/woman-punches-bear-save-her-dog#.Tl534jss3as

crashdive123
09-02-2011, 06:08 AM
1stimestar - My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

hunter63
09-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I would like to extend our thoughts and prayers as well.....This "Life" stuff gets heavy sometimes......

Rick
09-02-2011, 02:46 PM
1stime - I had a close uncle that went through the same thing. All of the stages were expected but as you said it doesn't make it any easier even when you know what to expect. It's sad and it's predictable but sometimes there is simply nothing you can do for them no matter how bad you want to. I wish you and the kids strength in what I am sure is a very difficult time.

1stimestar
09-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Thank you all. We are going to be able to get out of here early Sunday morning.

gryffynklm
09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I'll send some prayers, my thoughts will be with you and the kids for some time.

crashdive123
09-03-2011, 11:55 AM
1stimestar - you have a PM waiting for you in your in box.

1stimestar
09-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I don't mean to be a Debbi Downer on this most amusing thread so please check the one I am about to post in a few minutes.

2dumb2kwit
09-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Around here somewhere, is a picture of Rick, in a thong. I have found that it will scare away nearly any living creature. You may want to print it, and keep a copy with you, when you are in bear country.

crashdive123
09-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Around here somewhere, is a picture of Rick, in a thong. I have found that it will scare away nearly any living creature. You may want to print it, and keep a copy with you, when you are in bear country.

Oh sure. Give the guy advice that will cause him to end up with animal cruelty charges.:innocent:

Sourdough
09-03-2011, 04:50 PM
http://juneauempire.com/local/2011-08-30/woman-punches-bear-save-her-dog#.Tl534jss3as

crashdive123
09-03-2011, 06:53 PM
NEVER mess with a lady with purple hair!

Rick
09-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I've often found that bear's bluff quite often. That's probably what happened with the purple haired girl. I remember one time I was locked eye to eye with a bear. I had a terrible decision to make so a took the gamble and called his bluff. Turns out all he had was a 9 high to my pair. You just have to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run.

2dumb2kwit
09-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I've often found that bear's bluff quite often. That's probably what happened with the purple haired girl. I remember one time I was locked eye to eye with a bear. I had a terrible decision to make so a took the gamble and called his bluff. Turns out all he had was a 9 high to my pair. You just have to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run.

Hey, that's from that song. You know....the one with four hundred children.

Rick
09-03-2011, 08:45 PM
That, my friend, is bear safety in action. You are probably thinking of the song, "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel" from the album, "Buck naked in Tijuana" or "Hey, Dude, where's my car?".

JPGreco
09-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I just drop my picnic basket and run. I've seen many documentaries showing bears much prefer picnic baskets to people.

BENESSE
09-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I just drop my picnic basket and run. I've seen many documentaries showing bears much prefer picnic baskets to people.

I know I do.

Rick
09-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Another fallacy. While most documentaries do show it to be true you will also notice that there are usually two bears involved. I'm not sure why film makers used a specific set of bears like that but it is what it is, I guess. Perhaps they were trained bears and that was all they could get. However, when you have a much larger bear and a small bear then it does seem to work. But let's face it, how often do you encounter a black bear with a midget bear in tow? Not very often, I'm afraid.

Sarge47
09-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Another fallacy. While most documentaries do show it to be true you will also notice that there are usually two bears involved. I'm not sure why film makers used a specific set of bears like that but it is what it is, I guess. Perhaps they were trained bears and that was all they could get. However, when you have a much larger bear and a small bear then it does seem to work. But let's face it, how often do you encounter a black bear with a midget bear in tow? Not very often, I'm afraid.

So what are you trying to say Rick? That Yogi and Boo-Boo aren't real! :scared:

Rick
09-04-2011, 03:06 PM
What I'm saying is if you encounter Yogi AND Boo Boo then drop your picanic basket and walk away. If you encounter Yogi my himself then you are in deep doodoo and need to employ one of the methods I outlined earlier.

finallyME
09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
What I'm saying is if you encounter Yogi AND Boo Boo then drop your picanic basket and walk away. If you encounter Yogi my himself then you are in deep doodoo and need to employ one of the methods I outlined earlier.

Well, you're not really in DEEP doodoo. After all, you are sticking your finger in the whole to keep it all inside. Kinda like the kid and the whole in the dike.