08-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Felt our building shake on the 35th fl.
Gotta go!

Sourdough
08-23-2011, 02:22 PM
They are saying a 5.9 centered in VA.

Rick
08-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I've always heard the earth would move before Washington ever started doing anything positive. Looks like now's the time!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38274327/ns/us_news-life/t/freight-train-thunder-holy-cow-earthquake/#.TlP1uVsUmrU
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38274327/ns/us_news-life/t/freight-train-thunder-holy-cow-earthquake/#.TlP1uVsUmrU)
This right on the heels of a medium Colorado quake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/us/24earthquake.html

Pal334
08-23-2011, 02:48 PM
We got it here in NJ. Chair had me swaying like a drunken sailor for a few moments. Kind of weird feeling. Kind of a wake up call

Winter
08-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Recite after me, WTF.

Has anyone ever heard of quakes in that area?

Hurricanes rolling in from the south , quakes in the north. The Earth has us surrounded.

Rick
08-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Very nice, pal. Way to pick on Crash.

Pal334
08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Ya know, was not meant that way, but is a good one on him :)

Followup,, cell service is staying up, but my daughter reports that her Blackberry thing is out. Must be that system is more sensitive or something.

Rick
08-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Might be volume of calls/data related.

BornthatWay
08-23-2011, 03:04 PM
I live abot 120 miles from edpicenter. It certainly gave the house a good shake. We had one about 8 or 9 years ago. This one was much stronger and longer than the other one. Apparently biggest since 1830's. I think that was what the news said.

To me the weirdest thing was the noise it sounded like a freight train. Everybody is fine no damage here.

My husband said maybe a politician actually told the truth. Lol

crashdive123
08-23-2011, 03:21 PM
We got it here in NJ. Chair had me swaying like a drunken sailor for a few moments. Kind of weird feeling. Kind of a wake up call

That is best left to us professionals!

crashdive123
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
My brother lives and works around DC. Cell and land line to him are out for now.

Pal334
08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
That is best left to us professionals!

Aye, Aye , your are welcome to it :)

Sourdough
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Felt our building shake on the 35th fl.
Gotta go!

As one of my life mastery teachers once said, "You can listen to the whispers, or listen to the shouts"

Sourdough
08-23-2011, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=Pal334 Kind of weird feeling. Kind of a wake up call[/QUOTE]

As one of my life mastery teachers once said, "You can listen to the whispers, or listen to the shouts"

gryffynklm
08-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Ya, I felt it here in Elkins, WV. Light shaking, Lights swinging.

New experience. Looking at a seismic map map in the past thought I didn't have to worry about it. Perhaps a re-think is in order.

Rick
08-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Cell outage is volume related.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/23/technology/earthquake_phone_service_outages/

BENESSE
08-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Well, it was a bunch of who shot John and an excuse for some not to go back to work.
And more inane reporting from the guy on the street pov. Grasping for news that wasn't there.

Sourdough
08-23-2011, 05:27 PM
OK, I don't understand exiting the tall buildings.........? I should think if someone is in a modern steel frame building they would be safer inside than outside, where any of twenty different building could fall on you. Or you could be trampled by a herd of silly humans.

Rick
08-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Okay, let's think this through. If twenty different buildings can fall on you do you want to be inside any of those? My luck it would like number 7. The rest would fall on top of me.

crashdive123
08-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Also - not knowing what it was..... One person that was in the Pentagon on 9/11 and again today. The said the shaking was almost exactly the same as when the building was hit almost 10 years ago.

hunter63
08-23-2011, 09:05 PM
So I guessing everyone is OK?
Wasn't a comet was it?,.......gotta go get some beer and a lawn chair..........
Glad I don't live in a high rise.......

RangerXanatos
08-23-2011, 09:14 PM
My girlfriend's mother and sister said they felt the table move here in Georgia.

Rick
08-23-2011, 10:29 PM
It took its toll on a couple of famous landmarks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/earthquake-closes-damages-washington-landmarks/2011/08/23/gIQA2Rf7ZJ_story.html

BENESSE
08-23-2011, 11:38 PM
I ran down the 35 flights of stairs. (Ended up being much ado about nothing.)
Our office building was designed to sway in the wind and often makes a noise like a creaky barge when the wind blows hard.
This was different. Creepy, kinda. A shift, not a sway. You had to be there.

whitis
08-24-2011, 01:28 AM
The epicenter was about 30 miles east of here. Shook buildings pretty well but didn't seem to do much damage around here. Knocked a few things off shelves. Scared the birds. Was reportedly felt from Atllanta to Quebec. Knocked out local 911 service but the regular police phones were working. Had a 4.2 aftershock.

It scrammed the reactors at the Lake Anna power station and knocked out external power forcing the plant to run on generators. the plant is only designed to handle a 5.9-6.1 magnitude. The epicenter was about 12 miles from the reactor.. These reactors were recently ranked 7th most vulnerable to earthquakes in the US - annual risk of core damage 1/22727.

East coast quakes are felt over a much wider area than west coast ones for the same intensity.

Rick
08-24-2011, 01:40 AM
B - It's better to run down 35 flights of stairs and not need to than not run down them when you should have. You picked the better choice.

crashdive123
08-24-2011, 06:02 AM
The important thing is that you are safe.

pgvoutdoors
08-24-2011, 12:39 PM
We had a little tremor here in northeast Ohio. We get them now and then, there's a fault line along the lake.

Mad Cow
08-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Does any one know it Earth quakes are considered in the building codes in the effected areas ? If I remember right, Earth quakes in the east are rare, but not hundred of. There was the New Madrid quake that made Reel Foot lake in TN. Also herd that the Washington monument is closed until further notice.

hunter63
08-24-2011, 02:19 PM
I ran down the 35 flights of stairs. (Ended up being much ado about nothing.)
Our office building was designed to sway in the wind and often makes a noise like a creaky barge when the wind blows hard.
This was different. Creepy, kinda. A shift, not a sway. You had to be there.

Just having to "get out of there" would have scared the carp outta me.

Now the question....Do you have a "get out of the building" bag?

Rick
08-24-2011, 02:32 PM
This might be a good time for everyone to check their insurance policies for earthquake insurance. It is NOT a standard part of your home owner's insurance. It's generally a rider you must add. Mine includes Earthquake Including Masonry Veneer (I have stone on the house) and it's $53.00 a year. Of course, the cost will be dictated by a number of factors including the amount of insurance you currently carry as well as the size of deductible.

BENESSE
08-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Just having to "get out of there" would have scared the carp outta me.

Now the question....Do you have a "get out of the building" bag?

I was just glad I was running downstairs instead of up. I've walked up many a time but running would be a mother.

My go bag is a small, light backpack that's constantly evolving but these things are in it at all times:
16oz water, dust mask, head lamp, whistle, bi-focal safety goggles, Leatherman Skeletool, long sleeve cotton T & briefs, socks, light weight running shoes, space blanket, raw almonds, a protein bar, bus/subway card, a roll of quarters, $200 in small bills and house keys. The pack stays at work. Then I have my EDC in my purse.

This was a good practice run. It made me think that a hard hat would have been useful if TS really HTF. Thing is, it's tough to be conspicuously suited up if you don't have enough to share other than just stop & help.
What would people think?

Mad Cow
08-24-2011, 03:53 PM
I was just glad I was running downstairs instead of up. I've walked up many a time but running would be a mother.

My go bag is a small, light backpack that's constantly evolving but these things are in it at all times:
16oz water, dust mask, head lamp, whistle, bi-focal safety goggles, Leatherman Skeletool, long sleeve cotton T & briefs, socks, light weight running shoes, space blanket, raw almonds, a protein bar, bus/subway card, a roll of quarters, $200 in small bills and house keys. The pack stays at work. Then I have my EDC in my purse.

This was a good practice run. It made me think that a hard hat would have been useful if TS really HTF. Thing is, it's tough to be conspicuously suited up if you don't have enough to share other than just stop & help.
What would people think?

When I think back to loma pretta when I was a kid, a hard hat would have done you no good. Water was scarce for about three days after. Since then I have been very paranoid about not having any. Water filtration would be good to have. I guess you could boil water in a hard hat if it was a steel one.

BENESSE
08-24-2011, 04:10 PM
My main reason for the office go bag is to simply get me out of the building and home where I have much more extensive preps. Door-to-door, 1/2hr walk.
Beyond that, it's just not feasible or realistic to keep much more at work. Space is a huge issue.

Mad Cow
08-24-2011, 04:12 PM
What about one of those pen size water filters ?

hunter63
08-24-2011, 04:12 PM

What would people think?

Hard hat?.....good question, they do help.....?????

Looks like you have that base covered as best as possible.
Good for you......
Stopping to help others would have to be a desision to be made at the time.

Rick
08-24-2011, 04:32 PM
A bicycle helmet or climbing helmet might serve the purpose. It will protect your noggin and a bike helmet wouldn't look too out of place in the city. I would also suggest a good pair of leather work gloves. Your manicure might get pretty messed up if you have to move some debris just to get out of the building. I would also toss in a good whistle in case you become trapped. Something I also have is a second battery for my cell phone. I alternate batteries every couple of weeks. I charge one then swap out to the second and charge it. That way the back up battery carries a full or nearly full charge as well. Gloves, whistle and spare battery would not add any weight to your bag and take up very little space. Yet all three could be very much needed.

Mad Cow
08-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Thats if cell service is still working. If not, then texting will work.

Rick
08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
You have the option of cell, text or email depending on the type of phone you have. Mine does all three.

B-One other thing that you might consider is an M10 gas mask. I place no stock in them for NBC protection but as a dust mask I think they would be the berries. After seeing what some of the folks looked like after 911 a mask that covers the whole face might be a huge plus. Sportsmansguide has them for $20.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=542413

It would sure have been nice if these folks had one.

http://visibility911.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/image072.jpg

Pal334
08-24-2011, 07:02 PM
The photo Rick posted reminded me. Seeeing all that dust in the air, would actual googles be a good adjunct to the safety glasses? I am thinking about being able to preserve your vision if there is debris in the air. Something along these lines is cost effective and time tested: http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Type-Sun-Wind-Dust-Goggles-Available/dp/B000KDFCW8

BENESSE
08-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks Rick, I just ordered 2 masks. Always wanted something along those lines but wasn't sure what to get.
So much out there, some of it pretty expensive. At $20 a pop and your stamp of approval, it's worth it.

Leather gloves are another good suggestion. I have a pair in my main BOB but it more than makes sense to have them in the office GoBag as well. Got whistle, got extra battery (at home--should have it on me!) Bike helmet is a better option than hard hat--blends in better.

I forgot to mention that I also always carry moist antibacterial towelettes (a must in the city) a few band aids and Vicks ointment. (smelly cabs, and garbage)

Rick
08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
As I said, I don't put much stock in them as an NBC investment. There are just too many variables to rely solely on a mask for that but it will make a good dust mask and if you try to buy a full face dust mask they want over $100 for them. So, IMO, these are a good investment for that.

Rick
08-25-2011, 01:09 PM
I had to put my money where my mouth is so I picked up a few of the masks and a couple of water bobs this morning. With any luck at all the masks will rot before I need them and the bags will disintegrate.

Dylan
08-25-2011, 04:07 PM
That's a great find. Great pic too!

You have the option of cell, text or email depending on the type of phone you have. Mine does all three.

B-One other thing that you might consider is an M10 gas mask. I place no stock in them for NBC protection but as a dust mask I think they would be the berries. After seeing what some of the folks looked like after 911 a mask that covers the whole face might be a huge plus. Sportsmansguide has them for $20.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=542413

It would sure have been nice if these folks had one.

http://visibility911.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/image072.jpg

whitis
08-26-2011, 02:52 PM
The epicenter was about 30 miles east of here. Shook buildings pretty well but didn't seem to do much damage around here. Knocked a few things off shelves. Scared the birds. Was reportedly felt from Atllanta to Quebec. Knocked out local 911 service but the regular police phones were working. Had some aftershocks.

It scrammed the reactors at the Lake Anna power station and knocked out external power forcing the plant to run on generators. the plant is only designed to handle a 5.9-6.1 magnitude. The epicenter was about 12 miles from the reactor.. These reactors were recently ranked 7th most vulnerable to earthquakes in the US - annual risk of core damage 1/22727.

East coast quakes are felt over a much wider area than west coast ones for the same intensity.

Written earlier but apparently not posted.

Mad Cow
08-26-2011, 03:03 PM
As I said, I don't put much stock in them as an NBC investment. There are just too many variables to rely solely on a mask for that but it will make a good dust mask and if you try to buy a full face dust mask they want over $100 for them. So, IMO, these are a good investment for that.

Get the ones rated for asbestos. I got mine for $65.00. There are also the disposable dust masks rated for asbestos that will bet you about 5 for $15.00. In situations like 911 the mask would be clogged pretty fast so be sure to have clean filters to.

SARKY
08-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Miss B, and now you have to contend with a hurricane! Might want to think about puting some duct tape on your windows.

BENESSE
08-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Went downtown with Mr. B to get his 4 wk. haircut. (sacrosanct!) No public transportation running as of noon. Cabs charge a flat rate according to zones. (officially sanctioned) Paid $30 for a $12 ride. Rain comes and goes, nothing bad yet. Humidity, 100% pea soup.
Most businesses closed including ALL Starbucks. Some have plyboard on the windows, others duct tape. We're not duct taping yet although it's all ready to go and be done in 5 min. Lots of heavy plastic sheeting on hand as well as sham wows. Water and liquor a plenty. WaterBob arrived yesterday just in time.
Should be exciting...can't wait to see how it's all gonna play out.

Hope y'all are safe and cozy.

Pal334
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Heavy rain and wind starting here now. Coming in squals. Guess it is not as bad as thought, but will definitely be a gully washer and quite breezy. Hold on to your hat B