PDA

View Full Version : BOB Repack

hunter63
08-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Mine stays by the door, and actually use it as my grab and go bag for everything.

Returning home from a trip the "The Place", I decided to repack the bag reflecting season changes, and re-wash remaining leftovers as keeping it packed at all times, seem to get a tad "musty".

I had always "packed" for a trip in the past, but have kept this bag ready to go for a while now, so never had the "contined" problem.
Any one else repack regularly.

When repacking I am adding a 16 GB stick drive with all current doc's saved, and re-doing the meds in the travel FAK.

Alao added a spare pair of glasses.

SARKY
08-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Twice a year I go through our BOBs unless they've been used then they get a through cleaning and going through. If you take care of your gear, it will take care of you.

crashdive123
08-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I do go through ours periodically.

hunter63
08-17-2011, 05:57 PM
I thought I would mention that DW tossed the bag into the washer as well.........Got it outside on the line drying out.
And i got about $1.86 in change out of it.

Rick
08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
We go through ours at least twice a year to accommodate the change of seasons. Check dates on items, etc.

My thumb drive is worn around my neck. It has an ICE document, my complete medical records, my living will, my medical power of attorney and I just added my organ donor document to it. All is in MS Word format so there shouldn't be any problem reading it.

By the way, I think that change was mine. There should have been $1.86. That's what I lost anyway.

hunter63
08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
LOL, so did you lose you fire steel as well?.....Got a really clean one here, and yeah lights just fine.
You have mentioned the thumb drive a while back, made me think about it....Thanks!
Not sure about wearing it on my neck, though.

Was at Best Buy the other day,.... found a sale on drives 16GB for $20 bucks......crap, the biggest hard drive I could get in my $3500 buck Gateway was only 4gb way back when.....couple of years ago.

Rick
08-17-2011, 06:39 PM
When I traveled for business I was always concerned that I might wind up in an airplane crash and my family might have trouble identifying me from the tiny left overs. So I had a set of dog tags made to identify the carcass and I've worn them pretty much ever since. I added the thumb drive to it and don't even notice that I'm wearing it.

Here is a link to make your own Living Will:

http://www.doyourownwill.com/living-will/states.html

Here is a link to make your own Health Care Power of Attorney:

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/estate_planning/medical_power_of_attorney.html

Here is a link to make your own organ donor form:

http://www.giveawaylegalforms.com/glf/directory/medical/organ-donation-form.php

hunter63
08-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Great sites.
We had that all done a while back, with copies to all concerned......I like the dog tags idea though.

Pocomoonskyeyes3
08-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Just repacked mine about a week ago. Just something I did on my "Birthday time". LOL I have to check mine fairly regularly as we have a mouse problem ...even with 3 cats here at the house and 2 in the barn! I guess it's all this pastureland all around us. The first time I repacked it I found that the mice had ate a whole bag of dried beans! Nothing else was bothered though, not even the rice. I had just thrown a bag of dried beans in the BOB and left it about 2 months. So I have to check it fairly often.

BornthatWay
08-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Just a note about living wills in VA theyare not recognized by Emergency Services so if you do not want them to resusitste you you need the state form that you get from your doctor and keep a copy on your person. Many lawyers and these do it yourself on the internet do not warn you these documents are not recognized. So you should check with your doctor.

Rick
08-17-2011, 08:10 PM
That's a good point BTW. I should point out that I am not a lawyer and laws do vary from state to state. Like Hunter, we had our wills, power of attorney, medical power of attorney and our living wills completed by our attorney. The donor form I did pull from that web site.

hunter63
08-17-2011, 08:21 PM
My donor status is right on my drivers license, has been for a long time.......If there is anything left that works......

I have to tell you that not having a will and power of attorney and anything else survivors might need is a real PITA.....Just finished up with a BIL estate took 2-1/2 years. Was great procrastinator.......

All necessary paper work was completed in 1/2 hour $150 bucks....with copies to everyone, money well spent.

Rick
08-17-2011, 10:49 PM
And unnecessary estate taxes go to Uncle Sam and his little Sammies (states) with no will.

hunter63
08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
My thumb drive is worn around my neck. It has an ICE document, my complete medical records, my living will, my medical power of attorney and I just added my organ donor document to it. All is in MS Word format so there shouldn't be any problem reading it.

This brings to mind a question on those drives....what percautions are suggested as far a heat, cold, dirt...or in the case of neck worn, sweat, impact.....even EMP?
Ideas?
My plan is to carry in the Go bag.....Not gonna call it a BOB... as food/water isn't included....thats the other bag.

Rick
08-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I have a PNY 8 Gig that folds into a protective plastic cover and has a ring hole in the other end for my chain to go through. It certainly isn't waterproof but the cover should provide some protection. Heat and cold should not impact it. If it gets hot enough to melt I'm in a lot more trouble than loosing data. I'm probably standing in lava or the campfire so just give me a shove. Beating me out with a shovel would be okay, too. I test it every couple of weeks or so to make certain I can still read the data. So far, no problems. I walk every day and with the heat I've been pretty sweaty (Oh, eeeeewww) and so far it has not affected it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PNY-P-FD8GB-MINI-EF-8GB-Mini-Attach/13073361

hunter63
08-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Yeah, thanks, The one I got, the USB pulls back into the housing.

The pricing just amazes me.....pretty soon they will be giving them away.....LOL.
So no excuse on not having one.

Rick
08-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Or several. That way if you do loose one you still have backups.

Beans
08-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Dog tags!!! Attach one to your boots, shoes Etc or what ever you wear. the other one you can wear around your neck. something will remain to access your ID

Rick
08-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Psssst. (looking around) See post 7.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
08-19-2011, 01:51 AM
I don't believe there's ever a time when we aren't checking improving repacking adding and subtracting from them , as in one in vehicle one in closet one carry etc. lol maybe I am a fanatic but I have it all covered I believe multiple bags everywhere means if one is lost or whatever and if there's a group some are just basic some luxurious.

BENESSE
08-19-2011, 07:38 AM
All this packing, repacking, rotating, backing up and improving upon, (not to mention practicing) can be a full time job.
And that's just the BOB & home preps. Unless you're retired, it's just hard to keep up.
For every one thing I accomplish, there are 5 more waiting to be done. Then there's regular life, job and business as usual. Somewhere along the way, it's all gotten more complicated and I'm just tired.

hunter63
08-19-2011, 01:26 PM
All this packing, repacking, rotating, backing up and improving upon, (not to mention practicing) can be a full time job.
And that's just the BOB & home preps. Unless you're retired, it's just hard to keep up.
For every one thing I accomplish, there are 5 more waiting to be done. Then there's regular life, job and business as usual. Somewhere along the way, it's all gotten more complicated and I'm just tired.

LOL....Yes...What you said.
I retired....well, just quit working because I didn't have time to work with all the packing, planning, storing etc, etc,etc......