PDA

View Full Version : Long trip's stuff, advises appreciated.

VERDUGO
08-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi guys,
As said in my introducing, I'm not American, so Please keep that in mind while answering.

So, with two pals, we are going to USA. Outdoor trip: hiking, mountaining, climbing, swimming and so on.

We'll try to go through a LOT Of climates: from Moab desert, to Alaska mountains, Miami's everglades and so on.

I already planned the most part of our equipement, but there are still some blanks.
I absolutely don't know what model, at what price, and if it's easy to get in America for thoses items:

Sleeping bags, will be used in cold climates.
Sleeping pads, with sleeping bags
Tent, for cold climates for 3 people (thinking of a hennessy hammock's tent).

For those items, what would you recommend? What budget for buying this in an American shop?

Thank you really much!!

Sourdough
08-13-2011, 11:37 AM
For Alaska Advise I suggest digging around in the archives of the: Alaska Outdoors Forum. So much depends on the exact month/months that you are in Alaska, and which part of Alaska you are visiting.

crashdive123
08-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Have you considered hiring an outfitter or guide at each location with unfamiliar climate/terrain?

Rick
08-13-2011, 01:53 PM
You might see if you can rent gear as well. Your needs between Alaska and Florida's Everglades are as different as night and day. A bag warm enough for Alaska is going to be too hot and heavy for Florida. A bag for Florida is not going to warm enough for Alaska even if you are traveling to them in the same season. Very much like Finland vs. Southern France.

SARKY
08-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Rule of thumb, Plan to dress in layers rather than getting big bulky cold weather clothes which will be bulky and useless in a moderate clime. By dressing in layers, some of the same clothing can be used in hotter climes. Second rule of thumb, Get a sleeping bag rated for the coldest clime you will be in, you can always unzip and ventilate but sleeping cold really sucks!

VERDUGO
08-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Hi guys, thank you so much for helping me, and sorry for the late answer, I was in the wild ^^, is it an enough good reason? hehe.

@ crashdive123: If I can meet some locals, who knows the cool places and the climates specifications, the appropriated clothes and so on, yes, it'd be GREAT! But I don't plan to hire a professionnal guide, I don't have enough founds ^^.

@Rick: I dind't knew than in USA you can rent gear!!! That's awesome! 'Cause yes, I planned to buy two different sleeping bags for each of us, and two tents... Thank you very much for this precious tip!

@SARKY: Yes, I know how the layers system, thank you. And I would Agree for the sleeping bag, But in fact, an Alaska's one will be kind of heavy and not handy in the Rocky Mountains... So I plan two get two sleeping bags at least: one for the cold climates, and one for the extremely cold climates.

Ideas about sleeping bags, and tents prices?
Can anyone send me a link to a famous American outdoor/sports shop?

Thank you really much all of you guys!

whitis
08-16-2011, 06:28 PM
http://www.rei.com/
REI is a coop with stores in about half the US states. If you are going to spend more than about $200, spend the $20 to join and get about 10% rebate at the end of the year; but you don't need to join to shop. Prices on web site.

Check if there are any real military surplus stores (check yellow pages sites) where you plan to start your trip.

You may be largely limited to what you can carry on your back anyway, so you should be able to bring with you on airplane.

BENESSE
08-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Here's another site: http://www.backcountry.com/

A great range of products very nice and helpful customer service (in case you need to talk to a person) and knowledgeable product reviews.

Rick
08-16-2011, 06:47 PM
And some rental sites for you.

http://www.lowergear.com/

https://www.mountainsidegearrental.com/Welcome.html

And, of course, REI:

http://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html

VERDUGO
08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Oh guys, thank you for all those informations, it'll be really helpful...

I'm not coming with a lot of stuff.
Just bring adapted clothes, a knife (need to check where and in what conditions they are not allowed), a little bag with Nalgene bottles. I will buy/rent directly in USA, currently I don't have any real equipement.

Just hope I won't have any problem at the airport for the homeback flight: Wanna buy a lot of blades there ^^

Thank yoou and be safe!

Rick
08-16-2011, 09:37 PM
You shouldn't have any trouble here with the knife in checked baggage. You can't carry it on the plane obviously.

What size/kind of a knife do you plan on carrying? Most states have some limits on size and/or type that you can carry.

LowKey
08-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Pfff and some cities have rules different from the states they are in.

Sarge47
08-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Here's the thing dude, we have members that live in about every state in the country! Maybe you can PM each one with your budget ideas and where exactly, you plan on going! For example, Crashdive123 lives in Florida and knows that area really well. Sourdough, among some others live in Alaska, and can tell you how cold it gets in an outhouse missing a door, as well as what you might need, so can a member that goes by SJJ! Rick lives in Indiana and can help you find the nearest liquor store...you get the idea. Send some PM's out so that you don't inadvertently broadcast your intentions to the wrong people. We don't know the character of every member on here, just a few...like Sourdough, I can safely say that, yeah, he's a real character! :whistling: But if I was planning on doing outdoors stuff in Alaska, he'd be the 1st guy I'd hook up with. :creepy:

VERDUGO
08-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi,
First I let you know I still don't have any planning, for sure I'm gonna see the WestCoast, and SouthWest.
I have already confirm some locations...
I bought two LonelyPlanets to help me and my friends to build a road board.
There are plenty of locations I want to go, and I'm not sure 3 months will be enough to see USA... I don't want to spend just a day for each place you know... Plus discover also big and world known cities shall be really interesting.

@Rick: I plan to get some CRK, Esee... less than 7" blades...
Max 2 blades on myself, the other knives will stay in the car.

And a machete... Who'll stay in the trunk, then backpack, until I need it.

It looks like it's kind of normal for a hiker to carry a blade in USA.
In Europe, it's forbidden unless to have a "good reason". Hiking isn't one... Here there are no good enough reason... It's sick...

@LowKey: So Yeah, I think I'll check bivouac's rules and knives rules eachtime I arrive in a new town before I go into the wild.

@Sarge47: Ok, I'll try to make contact with some known people on this forum for about each locations I plan to go in.
That could be cool.

Sorry for my English, I'm sure it's a lil bit strange for you to read me :p
Thank you! You really help me for building this trip, I honestly appreciate that.
Bye!

Rick
08-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Your English is fine and a lot better than my anything else.

1stimestar
08-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Depending on where you come to Alaska, the Hennessy Hammock wont work well. Some places here simply do not have trees that you can hang from.

VERDUGO
08-18-2011, 04:44 AM
@Rick: Thany you, but I'm sure you're wrong,

Yeah, the hammock will be for the temperated climates... where you can find tree, I don't plan to bring it in Moab's desert or Alaska's desert, nor in highmountains where trees may not simply be there...

In Great Canyon, Arizona; december: Can I sleep on the ground with simply some warm clothes? Don't wanna bear a sleeping bag on the burning sun's land...

Thank you!!
VERDUG0, who bought a 500ml Nalgene 20$ in Japan, and a 1L Nalgene 10$ in Deutschland...
Bye and be safe.

crashdive123
08-18-2011, 05:29 AM
Temperatures at the Grand Canyon in winter might be a little too cold to just sleep on the ground with warm clothes. A sleeping bag is probably in order.
At the South Rim, the average high in November, December & January is between 52 and 40 degrees F and the low between 22 and 18 degrees F. Keep in mind - those are averages. Source: http://www.thecanyon.com/webpage.php/swmc/webpages/grand-canyon-weather-by-month

Your English is just fine.

VERDUGO
08-18-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm glad I found a story, where was written that three mexicans went to Great Canyon, planning to spend the night lying on the ground.

But they could'nt sleep because of the cold, so they went back in their car for the night ^^

I Plan to buy a US Army blanket by the way...

I'm currently preparing this trip, I'll let you know when it's finished.
This way maybe I'll get some advise, or even meet some of you on some locations!

Thanks crashdive123!!

Rick
08-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Even if the temperatures are warm in the Canyon the wind can drop the wind chill dramatically. Warm night time gear is recommended.

VERDUGO
08-20-2011, 05:01 AM
@Ric: Thank you for the advise.

I received a LonlelyPlanet's book on USA, so I read it, make a roadboard, and then tell you where I plan to hike, bushcraft etc.

Thanks!

Rick
08-20-2011, 09:22 AM
I learned the Canyon thing the hard way. The temperatures were cool but the wind was just brutally cold. Once the sun began to set it make it even worse.

VERDUGO
08-20-2011, 02:37 PM
@Rick: Thanks for the advise Rick !

Just received a Hiking in the USA book!
So I will take my time to read it, as I will also read your websites (REI is really cool)

VERDUGO
08-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi,
Sorry for the double-post, I haven't noticed that it continued on page 2 ^_^

Is there any reliable second-hand outdoor gear's shop?

I'm seeking for Hennessy Hammocks, and Maxpedition stuff.

Thanks!

Rick
08-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Yes, there are a lot of them. Whether you'll be able to score a Hennessy or Maxpedition is a different question altogether.

http://www.playitagainsports.com/

http://www.second-handsports.com/second-hand_Sports/Welcome.html

http://www.2ndtimearoundsports.com/

I've never dealt with any of these so I can't tell you how reliable they are. Playitagainsports is a national chain.

VERDUGO
08-21-2011, 03:03 PM
@Rick: Thank you man! That's useful. I will check it seriously.

I didn't found any Hennessy or Maxpedition though^^
But didn't really looked.

I'm currently buying some items on Ebay.

JC!
08-26-2011, 06:15 AM
In relation to the poster's question:
I could see he Exped Downmat 7, and recently the colder climate version the Exped Downmat 9 being useful to you on your trip. Both come with a price ranged around $200USD, and are not only very warm, but is also very light-weight and compressible (as the fill fibers are down). Here is a link to a site featuring both Exped Downmats. http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/SleepingBags/SleepingPadsInflating/PRD~5018-260/exped-downmat-7-pump-sleeping-pad.jsp

Mischief
08-26-2011, 10:01 PM
The Everglades has some great multi day canoe trails,suggest try in late fall after hurricane season.
Gooogle Everglades canoeing also many books a maps for the trails.
Your best bet is the Gulf of Mexico side not the Miami side.
If you have never been in a canoeand can't swim try the Florida Trail hikes, as you can go from NW Florida Pensacola down to south Florida or the other way or again just a portion of the trail, Again many maps,books and info. on the Florida Trail web site

VERDUGO
09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Sory for non answering time, I arrive in Asia!

Thank all of you for any answers on this thread!

edr730
10-01-2011, 09:18 AM
You may want to consider laying with your sleeping gear also. With two cheaper bags with different temperature ratings and an army blanket, you could put one sleeping bag inside the other or use them alone and be comfortable in temperatures from -20F to 80F.

VERDUGO
10-28-2011, 05:31 AM
That's a great idea!

Thanks Edr730 :p