PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Stop!

Winnie
08-10-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure whether it's because it's just fun, or whether I know something I don't know yet, but I've been pickling and preserving like there's no tomorrow. Canned Peaches, Pears, Cherries, Bread and Butter Pickles, Pickled Cucumber, Dill Pickled Beans and pickled Beetroot(Beets?). I had to buy more canning jars, and I haven't even thought about Applesauce yet (Apples aren't ready) Do you think I have a problem?:blush:

BENESSE
08-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Send over some samples and I'll let you know.

Rick
08-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Just think how good they will taste about February when the cold wind is knocking on the door and peeking in around the windows.

crashdive123
08-10-2011, 08:37 AM
No need to stop, and no problem.......you still have my address right?

Sourdough
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Winnie...........Your in a pickle. Hehehehehe

Winnie
08-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Yup, I do. I don't think pressurised jars and plane holds would play nice though.:blush:

crashdive123
08-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Yup, I do. I don't think pressurised jars and plane holds would play nice though.:blush:

Dagnabit!!!! OK - when do you start making jerky?

Winnie
08-10-2011, 02:10 PM
After eating the equivalent of 3lb fresh beef as jerky in a couple days, I no longer make it. I was almost poorly sick........ So you'll have to make your own!

BTW Pickled Beans are pretty darn good!

Rick
08-10-2011, 02:11 PM
3lbs in two days. Yup, sounds right to me.

crashdive123
08-10-2011, 02:55 PM
3 pounds in two days? Ha! Amateur.

Cousin-IT
08-10-2011, 11:54 PM
lol haven't done any prickling or presserivng before (once had an attempt at jam, it sorta worked) but that's cos i'm in winter. but a week ago all i was doing was coooking big meals and packed it away in the freezer. it was like i was possesed. but it was beneficial, haven't had to cook for a while. whatelse do you do when your fridge is full and your not allowed outside cos you hurt your back? COOK! or in your case jar.... i say good on ya :D

-lol i already got 10 jars ready for summer :P

whitis
08-11-2011, 01:02 AM
I don't think pressurised jars and plane holds would play nice though.
Unless something went wrong in the canning process, the jars are under partial vacuum. If the air pressure in the airplane hold drops below the air pressure in the jar, though, you will lose your seal. It is outside air pressure that holds the lid tight.

On a commercial jet airliner, the cargo hold, like the passenger cabin, is supposed to be pressurized to the equivalent of about 8000 feet which is a small drop in pressure vs. sea level. In the event of a pressure loss, this could drop to the pressure at 34000ft altitude which is a very severe pressure drop. This is worse than the dead zone on everest - hence the oxygen masks. Lacking good data on the variation of vacuums inside home canned mason jars, it is hard to say if they would pop the seal under normal cabin pressure, depressurization accident, private plane, or mountain travel conditions. One source suggests the required vacuum in conmmercially produced cans is about 3/4 atmosphere absolute which would be about 8000ft altitude equivalent. Under ideal conditions (lid seals the instant canner reaches atmospheric pressure), pressure in a jar might be about 1/15 atmosphere.

Replacing the rings and screwing them tight would probably allow you to transport the jars at altitude but unless they are returned to a lower altitude the lids may bulge and you can't tell which ones have gone bad.

I have spent a lot of time at altitude but not with home canned food. Bags of chips did have a tendency to explode.

Skinner
08-11-2011, 01:07 AM
I Loved Going to My Great Grandmothers House and Being Allowed to Pick threw the Stash(Her Made for Her Canned Stuff.)She Was the One Who Got Me Cooking and She Started At 90 and for the Next 12 Years(Yep She Lived to Be 102) It Was Class Every time I Was At her House. and The One Thing She Taught me Was Canning Everything.
So When She Passed Great Grandpa Passed at 107 Everyone Was Wanting Furniture and Such . I Pull My Uncle aside and Told Hime They Can Have Everything We Want What's In the Celler . He Made the Announcement and Everyone Said Go Head .So Off we Went Down Into the Celler and Were Were Pulling Wooden Creats Out With All the Fruits and Veggies My Great Gandpa Grew and My Great Grandma Canned or Made Into Wine Out (What She Called Tonic)She Made Wine and SHINE. We Were Happy as all Get up . Also Got All Her Recipe Books . And There Written In Checz ,Slovic and Russian . So Keep Going On Canning and Teach Everyone Who Will Learn On How to Do It .

Rick
08-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Whitis - I think that was Winnie's pitifully lame excuse for not sending samples to Quality Control like all members are supposed to do. I should also add that Ken has not been around for a while and I am the Minister of Science so samples should now be sent to me as well as a way of checking the checker, so to speak. We wouldn't want an FDA style brouhaha on our hands and I'm unbiased if not anything. Or maybe that's unbalanced. Matters not. Send the samples.

Winnie
08-11-2011, 08:11 AM
There's no pulling the wool over your eyes is there, Rick:blushing: Maybe Customs could help me out of this jam.

Rick
08-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Unfortunately, no. It's a custom here to send samples and we wouldn't want you to break tradition.

crashdive123
08-11-2011, 11:23 AM
There's no pulling the wool over your eyes is there, Rick:blushing: Maybe Customs could help me out of this jam.

Wait a minute! You made jam too?

Rick
08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
OOooooh. She's a sneaky lass, this one.

your_comforting_company
08-24-2011, 10:09 PM
What kind of beans are you pickling?

Sorry I missed this post before! Sounds like you've been busy too!

I wanted to try some spicy pickled snap-peas and ladyfingers (the peas, not okra lol). I might hit you up in a few days for your recipe and just add peppers. I got some of those "ghost peppers" and lots of my birds-eyes are ready now.
We've put up all the garden made and replanted for our second harvest before cold weather gets here for greens. Gotta learn to can cabbage and collards lol. (nah, I doubt it'll last that long around here hehe)

Winnie
08-25-2011, 04:10 AM
I grew Borlotto and Bobis d'Albengo both dwarf French beans, like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-DWARF-ITALIAN-BEAN-BOBIS-DALBENGA-100-SEEDS-/280725393992?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBu lbs_JN&hash=item415c899248

Oh, Sourkraut or Chow chow for the greens? I'm not a fan of either. Rick is the chap for that.

I've just looked at your pickled Okra recipe, and it's the same as the Green Bean recipe I used, except I omitted the chilli and added peppercorns and sugar. What can I say, I'm a wuss.

2dumb2kwit
08-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Just think how good they will taste about February when the cold wind is knocking on the door and peeking in around the windows.

I had to read that twice, to make sure you weren't talking about me. LOL

Winnie
08-27-2011, 07:17 AM
I had to read that twice, to make sure you weren't talking about me. LOL

I've got your number 2D, I close the curtains!

nig
09-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Have you tryed pickled nettles there are nice, i have mad bouts on pickling,jam drying ect i go a bit mad now and then, im collecting seeds at the moment (hemp) lol.

oldtrap59
09-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Winnie. Only problem I see is that you had to buy more jars. Ever tried dill green beans? just like dill pickles but sub whole beans for the pickles.

Oldtrap