PDA

View Full Version : forum upgraded

Chris
08-04-2011, 06:02 PM
it was a small change but let me know if you see anything wonky

Sourdough
08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
it was a small change but let me know if you see anything wonky

Look......Look there is Rick, I see Rick, I see something "Wonky"........:ohmy::sneaky2::ohmy:

Rick
08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
This from a man with 347 packs. 346 of which are all the same size and color.:blink:

Sarge47
08-04-2011, 08:29 PM
This from a man with 347 packs. 346 of which are all the same size and color.:blink:

And not one of them have a nice, new shiny survival kit! It's not right, I tell you, it's just not right! :innocent: :sneaky2:

rwc1969
10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
With the upgrade I noticed that when I use the back button or try to post a reply I get a pop up asking me if I want to leave this page. Also, the board seems to hang up when making posts as well, like it just sits there spinning the little blue Windows wheel thingee. I originally thought this was due to my security settings, but have since restored them to defaults as a test, but the issues persist.

Of course, the last unread post button still doesn't work either which makes seeing new posts a real challenge, as it takes forever to sift through page after page just to see if someone replied to one of your comments.

Umm, I'm not sure if these issues are a problem for anyone else, but they are for me. It's a very cumbersome process to simply post a thread, and see updates to that thread. I kind of quit coming here because of it. It just takes forever to simply read a post or see updates in threads. I like reading what people here have to say, but it just takes forever to do so.

This is a real issue and others have mentioned it. I'd suggest getting someone who knows whatever languages you are using here to buid these pages and such and have them figure out why the forum is not working properly, especially on IE browsers.

I believe these issues will be bringing down your forum if left unattended, unless your intent is a static forum.

This is just an FYI and not meant as an attack or anything.

pete lynch
10-28-2011, 04:55 AM
I have not experienced the issues rwc1969 is having.
I use Firefox under Linux.

Rick
10-28-2011, 08:38 AM
RWC - The question you are getting is from your browser. I receive the same thing and not just on the forum but many other sites as well. That has nothing to do with your security settings. As to the clocking issue, that can occur because your ISP is restricting traffic, which many do at peak times, it can be an increase traffic in general, it can be a network issue anywhere in the pipeline or a local server issue hosting the forum. Just because you are clocking doesn't automatically indicate a forum issue. Think of it as water flow. Any restriction anywhere in the pipeline will impact what comes out of your faucet. That doesn't mean it's a problem at the water plant.

To see new posts, click on What's New in the top green bar then go to the end of the thread. It takes no time at all. The problem on the button is inherent in vBulletin as I understand it. It has nothing to do with those programming this forum but simply a glitch in the vBulletin operating system. Some future update will incorporate a fix. Although new code, by any team, is usually extensively tested you are bound to find glitches once it's working in the real world. Stuff that just didn't show up in version testing.

I think Chris has demonstrated a very real ongoing commitment to enhancements to the forum so I don't understand your static forum comment.

hunter63
10-28-2011, 10:56 AM
I get the message once in a while as well, seems like i get the "leave this page" when the browser 'hangs up' for a second....most of the time it's fine.
I will say that this is the only site I get the message on.

Rick
10-28-2011, 11:52 AM
This popup started in Firefox 4.X. It's called an onbeforeunload event. There is also an onunload event but I don't know if it also triggers the popup or not. Annoying as heck, that's for sure.

Non-standard changes done to vBulletin by forum owners are generally done through hacks. While there are a lot of good ones out there they become a pain in the butt when you have to upgrade because you have to account for every hack and change that you've made so you can replicate it in the new version. vBulletin comes out with a lot of version releases some that Chris does not incorporate. I know his philosophy is to ensure a new release is stable in the real world before upgrading the forum and he's not a fan of hacks because of the upgrade issues.

Chris
10-28-2011, 12:26 PM
With the upgrade I noticed that when I use the back button or try to post a reply I get a pop up asking me if I want to leave this page. Also, the board seems to hang up when making posts as well, like it just sits there spinning the little blue Windows wheel thingee. I originally thought this was due to my security settings, but have since restored them to defaults as a test, but the issues persist.

Of course, the last unread post button still doesn't work either which makes seeing new posts a real challenge, as it takes forever to sift through page after page just to see if someone replied to one of your comments.

Umm, I'm not sure if these issues are a problem for anyone else, but they are for me. It's a very cumbersome process to simply post a thread, and see updates to that thread. I kind of quit coming here because of it. It just takes forever to simply read a post or see updates in threads. I like reading what people here have to say, but it just takes forever to do so.

This is a real issue and others have mentioned it. I'd suggest getting someone who knows whatever languages you are using here to buid these pages and such and have them figure out why the forum is not working properly, especially on IE browsers.

I believe these issues will be bringing down your forum if left unattended, unless your intent is a static forum.

This is just an FYI and not meant as an attack or anything.

That sounds like a browser or a connection issue. What version of IE do you use?

I personally recently switched to Google Chrome. Holy fast browser batman. I like it a lot. Very fast.

Also, IE had memory leak issues where eventually, always, it would crash. My compute rwould run slower and slower and I'd check and IE is eating up 400 mb of ram or something ridiculous.

rwc1969
10-28-2011, 02:30 PM
IE9, but it's only on this site that it does it. I think that would rule out a browser issue.

Chris
10-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Perhaps, unless this is the only vbulletin forum you visit.

It could be some of the more modern features not working right in Internet Explorer. It could also be a cache issue, you might try clearing your temporary internet files.

el-amigo
11-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Hello, the 'jump to the first unread post' button is not working properly.
I have tried it with the most recent Chrome and Firefox (both 7 & 8).

Another interesting behavior when I read a post and navigate back to the index page the forum shows the topic is still unread. I have to navigate back to the index in two steps if I want the forum to mark the really read topics as read.

Certainly I can live without these features and the forum is great but I think this feedback could be useful.

Rick
11-23-2011, 08:35 AM
If you hit your browser's back arrow after reading a topic the thread will not be marked as read since you actually went backwards in time. After reading go to the "What's New" button at the top and you'll see all the new threads and your page will always be updated.

el-amigo
11-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Of course, I don't use the browser's "back" button but the navigation links of the forum.

Rick
11-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Just a thought. I've used the back button to expedite reading just a few posts. I've never experienced the problem you describe within the forum.

el-amigo
11-24-2011, 05:55 AM
I have tried it on different machines and I have experienced the same behavior. It's funny. I guess it's something with the cookie handling of the browsers on linux.
The What's New link is really useful.

crashdive123
11-24-2011, 08:15 AM
You can also select "community" on the top tool bar and then "today's posts" from the drop down menu.

el-amigo
11-24-2011, 01:21 PM
You can also select "community" on the top tool bar and then "today's posts" from the drop down menu.

It's working well as the "What's New" menu. Great workaround for my problem, thank you. :)
Just a side question: are you administering the site and the forum as well? I mean both the software and the hardware.

Rick
11-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Chris is the owner of the site and administers the vBulletin database and the hardware. I have administrator privileges that allow some manipulation of the database for member profile issues such as login IDs, passwords, status, etc. Crash and Sarge have moderator privileges, which allow all three of us to manipulate threads/posts, spam and general settings.

We are looking at the first post in a thread issue. Can you tell me what you get when you click on the icon? I was able to authenticate a problem. I just want to make certain it's the same thing you are running into. I know you're running Linux but what browser do you use most often? I have most loaded so I can test using whatever browser you have. I'm running on Windows, however.

el-amigo
11-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Chris is the owner of the site and administers the vBulletin database and the hardware. I have administrator privileges that allow some manipulation of the database for member profile issues such as login IDs, passwords, status, etc. Crash and Sarge have moderator privileges, which allow all three of us to manipulate threads/posts, spam and general settings.

We are looking at the first post in a thread issue. Can you tell me what you get when you click on the icon? I was able to authenticate a problem. I just want to make certain it's the same thing you are running into. I know you're running Linux but what browser do you use most often? I have most loaded so I can test using whatever browser you have. I'm running on Windows, however.

Thanks for your answer!
I'm using Google Chrome 15.0.874.121 on Ubuntu 10.04 linux. I have the same error with Firefox 8.0 on a similar (but not the same) operating system.
The issue is when I open a forum's subforum and try to jump to the first unread post of the thread with the little 7057 icon, it just opens the thread and I have to search for the new messages.

The second problem is annoying because it takes two steps to 'mark' a read thread as read. I have also reproduced this problem with Chrome and Firefox. The steps: find a subforum with one unread thread > read it > navigate back to the forum index in one step. The thread seems still unread but we read it before.

Let me know if I could help you in the debugging.

Rick
11-24-2011, 05:05 PM
When it opens the thread what page does it open on? In other words, if a thread has three pages let's say, which page does clicking the icon go to?

el-amigo
11-24-2011, 06:52 PM
When it opens the thread what page does it open on? In other words, if a thread has three pages let's say, which page does clicking the icon go to?

It jumps to the last page of the thread but the screen remains at the top of the page (not jump to the first unread post). If I understand well it is not the expected behavior.

crashdive123
11-24-2011, 07:08 PM
That's how it's functioned for me since the change.

Rick
11-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Ditto with what I saw.

Chris
11-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Copy the URL the link is trying to send you to , and the url you were reading when you saw it, and post it here.

When I've tested this, I haven't been able to duplicate it.

el-amigo
11-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Hello Chris,

Here is an example URL for the problem: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?17594-Take-away-the-Zombies-.............&goto=newpost
After I navigate the the URL with the "&goto=newpost" variable, it disappears and the URL become: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?17594-Take-away-the-Zombies-.............&p=319885
(http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?17594-Take-away-the-Zombies-.............&p=319885)

Wolf2012
02-17-2012, 01:56 PM
I am new here (yeah!) but am not new, lol. First off I love the site in a big way, and am looking forward to learning lots and hopefully even contributing, even if it just support for others.

So this may not be an issue from the update, but it did happen at a link that was supposed to be an updated version. While going down through the listings on the left margin, I came upon what plants to utilize for survival. A ways down, there was a little highlighted "here" or something similar in regards to a site called "wildcraft." After visiting this site and making a shortcut to it, everything went a little bonkers. At that point, the only thing that would come up was a site for Florida orange juice (tropicanna?) and even if I re-entered this site from a google page listing all the various sections, it would go to a blank topographical type layout with just an ad at the top to click on to got to the florida orange juice site. Not that I buy commercial orange juice, but something like this would make me perm. boycott them. Nothing would change until I deleted the shortcut from the wildcraft site, then I was happily able to come back here. I'm sure this is not the fault of this site, but felt it was important to address.

Thanks, keep surviving,
Wolf2012

Wolf2012
02-17-2012, 02:15 PM
To be as helpful as possible, this occurred in the appendix B of edible plants to use.

Rick
02-17-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm completely lost as to where the problem is. Can you provide a link? Since you are new your post with a link will go to a moderation queue but I'll still see it. That will happen until you have 10 posts. It's one way we keep spam down.

Chris
02-17-2012, 04:49 PM
There is an error with an orange juice ad that has been running, hitting refresh tends to fix the problem.

Wolf2012
02-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Hey Rick,

Here's the link: http://www.wildcrafting.net/

Like I said I didn't have a real problem until I copied a shortcut onto my desktop, then I couldn't access this site at all, even after leaving and trying to come back in various places. It's not a problem now as I don't have a shortcut to it anymore. Weird problem, I know...

Wolf2012
02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks for your help Chris!

crashdive123
02-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Wolf2012 - you probably know this already, but...

The Edible & Medicinal Plants & Mushrooms Database link on the forum main page takes you to Wildcrafting.

Wolf2012
02-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Wolf2012 - you probably know this already, but...

The Edible & Medicinal Plants & Mushrooms Database link on the forum main page takes you to Wildcrafting.

Yes sir, thanks Brother Wolf!