PDA

View Full Version : True team spirit.

Winnie
07-30-2011, 05:39 AM
Wounded Heroes Represent True Team Spirit

In an unprecedented move, Race Organisers of the Ironman UK Triathlon granted entry to ‘Team True Spirit,’ teams of servicemen who suffered injury serving their country.

The incredible individuals taking part are: #1258 Joe Townsend, #1259 Kingsley Ward, #1261 Craig Preece, #1262 Mark Allen, #1263 Cliff O’Farrel, #1266 David Hill, #1268 Mike Goody, #1271 Mark Allen, #1292 Russ Clamp, #1293 Steve Caton, #1294 Ryan Hewitt.

Further Details here.

http://ironman.com/events/ironman/uk/emma-bishop-profiles-some-inspirational-ironman-uk-competitors?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ironman%2Ftopstories+%28Ironm an.com+Top+Stories%29

The very best of luck to them all!

Puts our petty little grumps and moans into perspective.

crashdive123
07-30-2011, 06:13 AM
The human spirit is one of the most formidable forces on the planet. Team True Spirit is a great example of determination to us all. Thanks Winnie.

Rick
07-30-2011, 08:00 AM
All of us have some cross to bear. Some are more visible than others but you don't have to look very far at all to find someone that carries a larger cross than you. Sometimes a much larger cross. Team True Spirit shows that sometimes those crosses can be an inspiration.

Pal334
07-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Spot on!!! Good for them, "we think we have troubles". Makes person proud of them, nationality makes no difference

kyratshooter
07-30-2011, 12:49 PM
And it reminds us that brave Brits are fighting and dying beside our U.S. troops.

If you live east of the Mississippi River London is closer to your house than Fairbanks Alaska.

Bushman
07-30-2011, 01:06 PM
A big Hooah to those Men !!

being Servicemen.....they already KNOW about 'Teamwork' .............and its nice to see they are NOT being crapped on unlike previous generations of Warriors who were abandoned & hung out to dry after the Korean War and Vietnam.........MORE POWER TO THESE BOYS !!

Winnie
07-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Sadly Bushman they WERE hung out to dry. Hedley Court is a rehab centre paid for and run by Help for Heroes http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ A charity set up a few years ago to help our Servicemen and women when the Govt did not.

Bushman
07-30-2011, 11:23 PM
ahhhhhhhhh Winnie........thats sad...........

our boys seem to be doing a tad better than back in my day where if you got 'injured' at 'work' you were immediately kicked out as a 'liability'.................

these days we have amputees going back to the frontline or re-assigned to duties they 'can' do rather than simply a 'general discharge'.
I'st legislated downunder for ALL workplaces, that if you're injured at work there MUST be a 'return to work' program.

Blasfemo
07-31-2011, 12:24 AM
And it reminds us that brave Brits are fighting and dying beside our U.S. troops.

If you live east of the Mississippi River London is closer to your house than Fairbanks Alaska.

in my thoughts i have always questioned the US wars and all the jump in wagon from nato and UK but i cant stop myself from thinking about the thousands of 20 ish year old boys American or not not an issue for me, that go to war for a pay check killing others and spreading suffering, i dont even know with what reason in mind. pains me like hell to see an already poor country a desert like Afghanistan being bombed and abused... on the other hand some of those boys actually die over seas while here in Europe we welcome thousands more of Muslims that grow in numbers a lot more that the native population does, and some pretty weird politic movements are coming to light most focused on a failed concept of multiculturalism... so then i think we should stop the madness of islamitazing all Europe for the sake of being politicly correct, always afraid of offending the moral of tolerance we supposedly have... with all this crisis thing, markets crashing civil rule like in Portugal, and with generational debt more evident i fear some time the true European heritage will come up and history might repeat itself... we have a tendency to let problems get to a point were there is only on option left fight like hell...

This guys are fire and we are for the most part wankers next to them...

Rick
07-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Actually, a lot of folks your age have the same ideas. I probably did too at some point. My guess is as you grow older you will recognize your national patriotism because nearly everyone does. It's a sense of belonging; a part of a larger good. There really is no answer to why is there war. Some are understandable because they are defensive in nature but many others are offensive and very difficult to understand. It is, however, part of the human condition and probably will be for a very long time.

Those that do fight or provide logistical support do so because they were asked to. Probably the most simple and noble of reasons.