PDA

View Full Version : Field Test: Swiss Volcano Stove....Short & Bittersweet.

Sourdough
07-29-2011, 10:56 PM
We (Two other geriatrics & myself) humped into Crescent Lake, and I took the Volcano stove for a test run. My experience is that it works, works quickly to boil water.

BUT......It is really a kind'of disposable stove. The Cup worked perfect, the water jug worked perfect. The stove worked very well however the stove is frail, the top was bent well out of round when it cooled, and as nearly everyone say's, it is a bugger to feed fuel into. But in fairness it does work.

I am going to build a much stouter stove out of electrical conduit pipe. I only paid $10.00 each for two of the swiss volcano stoves. And even if they only lasted for ten uses, it is a good deal.

They are tippy so I had to support the stove with rocks. Note: this was a field test, not a dry run in the back yard. Your mileage may vary.

tipacanoe
07-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Very good report, short and to the point. Is the conduit galvanized, if it is you will not want to use that. Years ago, the vent in the surface ships was mainly galvanized, but just during the welding process in construction, many people would go home sick because of the fumes.

Rick
07-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Good report. Some apparently have good luck with them and some don't. Good to know. Odd that a stove designed for the military would have that kind of problem, though. (shrug). Maybe these are for the commercial market.

randyt
07-30-2011, 08:15 AM
a chunk of muffler pipe should work well too. A piece could be gotten cheap or free from any muffler shop.

gryffynklm
07-30-2011, 10:09 AM
You can remove the galvanizing with most acids. I would look for some thing like, Muriatic Acid ( 30% HYDROCHLORIC ACID swimming pool supplies), some tile and grout cleaners, oven cleaners, drain cleaners include an acid in its ingredients. these products are a bit safer because the acid is usually in a diluted state.

Battery acid and other acids will work. For obvious reasons be careful. If you use an acid that is not an ingredient in a product, it will need to be diluted properly and carefully. There is a proper way to dilute acid to avoid splashing or reaction.

I will only share this info if I am comfortable.

I will not post any instructions here because of the potential for injury from miss handling acids. You can do the research as I have.
ACID is nasty stuff. research proper handling and safety!!!!!
I have learned by the failure of others.

BENESSE
07-30-2011, 10:16 AM
I remember AS really liking this stove and somewhere in one of his posts there's even a picture of it among his gear. I made a note and checked it out later with the intention of getting one--not expensive, so what the hey.

However, nothing beats testing it for yourself. What works for one person may not work for another.

Good write up SD.

pete lynch
07-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I too own a pair of these stoves. They were listed as surplus but were clean with brand-new cork stoppers and only a few dings. I bought them at sportsman's guide.
Sourdough is correct about them not being able to stand up by themselves; at least he has rocks in his state. I live on the Atlantic coastal plain where you have to buy rocks if you want them. I just put green wood chunks around the base to steady it.
I could get by without it but It will hold loose gear and is a nice option to have.

crashdive123
07-30-2011, 11:54 AM
I've got a couple as well. I haven't had a problem with them deforming though. I build up a little sand base to stabilize them when using (not a lot of rocks here either).

Rick
07-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Has anyone tried using Esbit, WetFire, Triox or similar in these stoves? I know they are kinda tall but the airflow might extend the flame. I was just thinking it might not get as hot as it does with wood since the fire would be somewhat lower in the stove. It would also be interesting to know if a smaller wood fire would prevent deforming the stove.

pgvoutdoors
07-30-2011, 03:26 PM
http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/WX-130.jpg
Cheaper Than Dirt .com: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/WX130-1.html

I also own a couple of these little cook sets. The cork will mildew if stored in the bottle when wet. I did get some oxidation on the inside of the bottle as well. The stove works great, but it's small and you need to add wood often. Defiantly worth the money.

To see other camp stoves check out the ongoing list on the thread: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?5757-quot-Unusual-quot-Compact-Stoves&highlight=unusual+camp+stoves

Sourdough
07-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Rick, The deforming was most likely caused by my removing the water tank and feeding more sticks into the top and then jamming the bottle back in. Did I abuse it.......most likely.....Yes. This is why I point out the difference between the 200 "You Tube" videos made in the back yard, where they can cut up 3/8" dowel rods, or pre-make the wood chips for perfect feeding.

In the real FIELD test you are stuck with the limbs you can break'up into length. To be super clear, the stove works. I would rather pay more money and have a stove I felt good about for a week or two walkabout.

A ring of stainless steel that had 3 or 4 legs that the stove would drop into would help.

Skysoldier
07-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Haven't posted in a while. I don't have much to offer, compared to you guys, but I bought a volcano stove from Sportsman's Guide and I've played with it some. Sterno makes a 2.8 oz (I think that's the size- it's a small one) that fits real well in the stove. I boiled 2 cups of water in 4 1/2 minutes, on a day when the temp was around 65F. Worked real good with my Mountain House Beef Stew. I bought my Sterno at a Food Lion store, but I think Wally World might carry the small size also. It weighs next to nothing and takes up little space in a pack or even daypack. And if you take the corked bottle out of the stove you can store 3 of these cans inside in the bottle storage area. (I have a couple canteens plus a MSR filter, so I don't need to drag the bottle along.) I don't know about the CO output of alcohol based fuels, but if it's safer than other fuels it would be ideal for use inside a shelter or tent. I had a problem with instability also, until I placed the cup of water on/in the stove. The weight of the water made it stable. But if you can't find a level space for it, you can hang it from a limb or just about anything with the wire gizmo used to close it up. The claim is that the small cans burn for a couple of hours, whereas the larger cans burn for around 4 hours. If all it's needed for is to boil water or heat other liquids three or four times a day, one small can should last several days. (Theoretically.) Just my .02.

pete lynch
07-31-2011, 05:21 PM
That's about a $1.02 worth of info to me. Sterno. Yep.

Winter
07-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Herdsman, good info.

I'm curious as to why the little stove is needed? I have a weird chinese folding wood stove that works great. But, stacked rocks work the same and I don't carry them.

I know many of you don't have rocks laying around. Can't you dig a firepit with a place for your pot?