PDA

View Full Version : water storage results

wareagle69
07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
normally i try to rotate my water every six months, but a couple of years ago i decided to leave several bottles alone, well this week with the super hot weather i was worried about blackouts so i figured i best check my supplies, i opened a bottle that is two years old, tasted just fine, no stale taste at all. made me happy to lean this...

Sourdough
07-26-2011, 09:25 PM
WOW, return of the dead. Yesterday I hear from wildWoman, and today I find out the wareagle has not been eaten by bears. How did you winter Wareagle........????

wareagle69
07-26-2011, 09:40 PM
must be getting old, hate the bugs this year, hardly wait for the cold.
a foot note to my post, i kept all my bottles in the basement which is very cool and under my 100 gallon tanks in the dark

pgvoutdoors
07-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I just noticed the other day that I've been using a bottle of yellow mustard that must be almost four years old. Still tastes good, though I might want to stop buying the super sized bottles from Sam's club. :huh:

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx36/pgvoutdoors/Wilderness%20Survival%20Forum/IMG_6058.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx36/pgvoutdoors/Wilderness%20Survival%20Forum/IMG_6059.jpg

I bet you I bought it a year before that date. I don't use plain yellow mustard much.

Rick
07-26-2011, 10:41 PM
That really is good information. My bottles are at the six month mark and your reminder will prompt me to change them out tomorrow. I know you're a busy man these days but it's like missing a brother at the table when you're gone so long. Don't be a stranger!

wareagle69
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
rotate your water ifn it makes you feel better, might be a difference between city water and well water, but do an experiment with one bottle, maybe a small bottle let it go a year and do a taste test, see what ya get

crashdive123
07-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I store my water in 7 and 8 gallon containers. About 50 gallons is in my BOV, about 100 gallons under a tarp on the porch, and 20 gallons inside the house. The BOV and porch storage is over 2 years old. It's still good.

canid
07-27-2011, 02:22 PM
It depends on the water, and on the container it is stored in.

some water, such as chloridated city water will actually improve with aeration, storage or both. some water is already as good as it will get.

some water contains enough contaminant matter to sustain populations of potential pathogens, as do the surfaces of some containers.

some containers will allow the escape of gases from water leading to a flat taste, or the infiltration of hydrocarbons which can poison or compromise the taste. these issues are apart from any additional concerns for some storage container types about structural integrity and leaching of contaminants from the container itself.

the trouble is that it isn't one issue with one phenomena, but a variety of considerations which effect potable water in sourcing, processing and storage. at the end of the day, if it isn't pathogenic, it's water in an emergency.

Rick
07-27-2011, 03:10 PM
And therein lies the rub. What may seem like good water could have been affected by the container if it is some form of plastic. You might not know the water is tainted in some way until you wake up howling at the moon or decide it's okay to actually eat mushrooms. I store water in plastic 5 gallon cans and I just like to know it's fresh. It takes very little time to dump the water, rinse out the container then refill it. Shoot, even I'm worth that much time.

canid
07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
if you've got the space and containers, you could even just rotate that water out to your non-potable stock and replace it.