PDA

View Full Version : Strange noises

shiftyer1
07-18-2011, 04:19 AM
This is not really a hunting question it's more of a critter question. I live in central tx and for the last week or 2 I have something in the woods making a wierd sound. It's similar to the sound a small dog makes, kind of a half assed whine but more like when they yawn but more shrill. I know it's hard to explain a sound but this is driving me nuts. I'm thinkin it's some kind of bird but have no basis for this. Anybody have any ideas?

I only hear it at nite if that helps. Again I realize this is like a needle in a haystack but i'm really sick of wandering around with a flashlite trying to figure it out.

wtrfwlr
07-18-2011, 04:30 AM
Grew up hunting in central Texas so I'm going to guess you have a litter of coyotes around your place. They may be not in a very good way right now with the weather you've had this season, I know I'm feeling for you guy's!

shiftyer1
07-18-2011, 04:41 AM
I wondered about that but I have a pretty good dog and he really doesn't let critters get very close. I do have lots of coyotes around here so it's possible. Ya the weather is weatherless :) I can't remember the last time I saw any rain that would fill a thimble.

wtrfwlr
07-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Well I hate that for you guy's! I really miss that part of the country ,hunted around Llano, Brady and San Saba Co. is that in your area?

shiftyer1
07-18-2011, 05:00 AM
I'm about 30 miles east of Austin

wtrfwlr
07-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Gotcha, raised in Fort Worth are you a Longhorn fan?

shiftyer1
07-18-2011, 05:21 AM
No sir not at all, football never appealed to me. They run this way, they run that way, they all fall down, don't make sense to me.

wtrfwlr
07-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Yeah know what you mean, but I sure wish I learned how to fall down like that when I was A yungin I might have alittle more mula now.

Rick
07-18-2011, 08:58 AM
They run this way, they run that way, they all fall down, don't make sense to me.

Alcohol strikes me the same way. I'd go with pups, too. It's that time of year for the little ones to be venturing out.

power
07-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Fox make a strange sound. Also there are some birds that do make that type of sound but I can't remember what kind.
Usually there is no mistaking coyotes, especially a young litter.

hunter63
07-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Friend has a fox den under his shed....in the city..about 10 block away.
They had a litter awhile back.
I'm thinking fox as well, 'course with out hearing the noise, can't really say.

crashdive123
07-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Here are some different fox noises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NuhlibHsM

Sparky93
07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
It's a chupacabra!!! Run in fear!!!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpMwDmH1b3jOdZd6-N6330IeUZHwar95sU-VRuvbWOYTmQJp1w7g

shiftyer1
07-18-2011, 03:41 PM
You never know it could be a chupacabra lol. He could be watchin me from the woods with leonora.

shiftyer1
07-19-2011, 12:03 AM
After listening to the fox calls they are off the list. I saw something on my woodpile today out of the corner of my eye so I think i'm going to keep a sharper eye and see if I can get a good look. The woodpile is very large, pushed up with a dozer from when they cleared for the house and yard so maybe i'll be able to see whats moved in other than snakes.

robertras
07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't know what I expected foxes to sound like, but I can tell you it sure wasn't that!

wtrfwlr
07-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Just listened to the fox sounds and my Boxer freaked!!

shiftyer1
07-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Mystery solved, went out this evening and wandered around a little around 8:15pm and started hearing it so I decided to move closer. An owl flew out about 20 feet ahead of me. By the various directions I hear them from I must have at least 3 or 4 hanging around. I better go count my chickens! I also got to see a small armadillo and counted between 10-20000 rabbits lol they're everywhere. Looks like my son will be filling the freezer again this winter with bunnies:)

Rick
07-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Be careful of those rabbits. They breed like......never mind.

shiftyer1
07-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Ain't that the truth, over the winter he was shooting between 2 and 6 almost every nite and didn't even dent the population.

Woodmaster750
07-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Last year had two owl's on the telephone pole out front of our house and the wife said ain't they nice. Well the next morn when I went out to feed one duck less in the pen. Have a good pen just didn't have wire over the top at the time.

shiftyer1
07-20-2011, 02:48 AM
I know it, my chickens are totally free range, i seem to keep around 10. The number goes up but always comes back to 10.

Woodmaster750
07-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Somethings having shiftyer1's chicken pot pie. and the other thing they don't even invite you to have dinner with them. :-)

shiftyer1
07-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Yup, bobcats, coyotes, hawks, owls, buzzards and maybe farm cats. But i'm good with it if it doesn't become a habit. The farm cat population stays around 3 or 4 in the same way. If I catch something in the act, i'll try to take care of it but it seems to stay balanced pretty well. I did shoot a bobcat last fall but he just got to greedy and comfortable. My dog (who runs most critters off) didn't even look twice AS it was eating a chicken. I guess he thought it was just a large cat? I didn't have my glasses on and it took a minute to register that I didnt have a cat that big. First thing in the morning drinking coffee I looked at it and wondered what was going on, then thought thats a big cat, then thought DAMN thats a big cat I ain't got a cat that big, followed by coon as i'm goin for a rifle, one last look......nope it's a bobcat(as it looked at me).

As long as I keep around 10 the fill my needs of eggs, enjoyment and a little meat here and there as I cull most roosters. If I end up with more it's ok but 10 is good:)

Woodmaster750
07-20-2011, 03:53 AM
We got one hen she's my wife's pet and she gives us a egg a day and that's fine with us. When the wife get's four or five egg's she'll make cookies or a cake and I'll have a egg about every four or five days. Just ain't a big morning egg eater. But got to have my Coffee. Hey.

hunter63
07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Last year had two owl's on the telephone pole out front of our house and the wife said ain't they nice. Well the next morn when I went out to feed one duck less in the pen. Have a good pen just didn't have wire over the top at the time.

I hear ya......
I have a pen that I would put purchased pheasants in for train the dogs.
Big dog kennel with a chain link top.

I had bumped the corner with the brush hog, bending the corner open a bit.

So a buddy brings the pheasants, 5 hens, 5 roosters....I put them in the pen...one little hen sees that opening and squirts out........

Then the red-tailed hawk shows up and roost in the tree above the pen.

Had a small trailer parked next to the pen, so the little hen played hide and seek with the hawk for a couple of days, until one day I was going in to feed and water them, she ran back in the pen when I opend the gate.........Smart little hen.

Of course the pen is where the food and water was.

Even after we were done with the training....few had got away....they would show up at the pen....with the door left open for food and water, protection.

Woodmaster750
07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
They use their survival instinct.

oldtrap59
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Sevral years ago when I lived in Iowa I raised red and yellow golden, amhurst, silver and ringneck pheasants. Also wild turkey and alot of ducks. During one of the grandkids visits one of my growing pens somehow was left open. I didn't see that there were any birds missing but wasn't real sure just how many there were in there to start with. A couple weeks later I was in town at the coop and happen to run into a guy that lived a couple miles from me. He asked if I was missing any birds. He said that his wife had a strange looking pheasant out by her chicken pen every morning when she went out to feed and thought maybe it had come from my place. Said she just threw it some feed which it gobled up and then disappeared till till the next day. Well long story short I took my catching equipment(long handled dipnet) and went down and caught it the next day. Point being that once caged citters get loose they still think like caged citters.

Another story from that time is the great mystery of the dead duck. It was the middle of winter and I had an open top pen with probably a couple hunred ducks in it. All of a sudden I started finding one or two dead ones each day. Seemed to have nothing wrong with them.(other then being dead) Was talking to old gent that lived across the road one day and first thing out of his mouth was, great horned owl. He told me to check the next dead duck's crop area and see if it had been cut and emptied. I kinda thought he was nuts but the next day I had another dead one so checked it. Sure enough the crop had been cut like a surgeon had done it and it was empty. I have to say here that these ducks were a heavy breed so I guess the owl figured it would get what it needed and leave the rest. Anyway I got some snow fence and covered the top of the pen. Kept a watch and saw a large owl sitting on top of one of the corner posts several times but she never got anymore ducks. I guess that she was one po'd owl. If you keep chickens, ducks or whatever always remember wild citters are opertunists and will get a meal where ever they can find it.

Oldtrap

More on the subject of the thread. Owls many times make a sound that sounds something like a baby squaling with larengitus (spelling?) Especially the barred owls. Not an expert on owls but have watched and heard this many times.

Rick
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Point being that once caged citters get loose they still think like caged citters.

People do to. Change their environment and they still think like nothing changed.

Woodmaster750
08-02-2011, 01:24 AM
Had a dang raccoon on the back porch last night. Sure glad the hen was in her hooch.

oldtrap59
08-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Jess. Wife and I get a kick outa watching the local raccoon's efforts most every night trying to get at our garbage cans.(housed in a framed wire box) Best show out in our neck of the woods. On second thought second best show. First place goes to the squirrels working on the bird feeders. Btw we always make sure our small stock is protected at night. Raccoons are willing to settle for leftovers, bobcats like to kill their own.

Oldtrap