PDA

View Full Version : PIGGY'Back Pack System, Assault "Daypack".

Sourdough
07-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Well the Kelty "Courser 40" Arrived today. It is not as heavy duty as I had hoped it would be. It is OK, but clearly intended for (Light) weight of pack priority and not harsh use.

The good news is I now know that 2,300 c.i. is my minimum, and I do mean minimum safe pack volume. In it is everything I need to stay alive for several unplanned overnight "yucky" experiences.

Not counting firearm the pack is now 17 pounds total pack & survival gear for day hikes. I plan to leave it as a stand alone unit that will get piggy'backed onto an external frame pack containing about 12 to 15 pounds Total including freestanding tent & seasonal specific clothing.

This system only has one drawback, that being I must return the way I did the outbound leg. As I would plan to stash the external pack 2/3 of the way outbound. The Courser 40 will become a kind'of Assault pack for day hikes.

Rick
07-11-2011, 07:43 PM
& survival gear
That had better not be a survival kit, mister.

Okay. Real question. If the Kelty has everything you need for several nights, what's the purpose of the pack frame with tent and clothes?

Sourdough
07-11-2011, 08:43 PM
That had better not be a survival kit, mister.

Okay. Real question. If the Kelty has everything you need for several nights, what's the purpose of the pack frame with tent and clothes?

The Kelty "Assault" pack will keep me alive, if I break a leg or severely damage my body and have to crawl out. When the 1.8 pound "Goldie" SL3 fly gets here tomorrow it, (less the pole) will go into the Kelty. There is no stove in the Kelty, I'll put a swiss volcano stove and two cups of minute rice in the external frame, along with rain gear, flashlight. Most people loath weight on their back, I am happy with 35 to 40# day pack. Remember I am not on a trail and no one knows that I am gone, or where I went.

crashdive123
07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
This seems like quite an evolution for you (or maybe just using new terms). I recall you saying that you didn't carry survival anything or have kits - just stuff that you used when you need it (OK - I'm paraphrasing). Is it just the terminology that is different, or is carrying this type gear a new growth of your exploring?

Sourdough
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
This seems like quite an evolution for you (or maybe just using new terms). I recall you saying that you didn't carry survival anything or have kits - just stuff that you used when you need it (OK - I'm paraphrasing). Is it just the terminology that is different, or is carrying this type gear a new growth of your exploring?

In the past (Recent Past) most of my day hikes were right out the cabin door. And with-in crawling distance back to the cabin.

I have become interested in a large wilderness area with few trails that is only 16 miles by road from the cabin. The area is full of old mines, and I am interested in gold prospecting.

The plan is most trips will be intended to be long "Day" Hikes, but the country is so rugged that I feel it is prudent to be prepared to spend the night. Last Friday I found myself at 4,200 feet elevation and exhausted. I was wishing I had more gear, as the temperature dropped into the high 40's and the wind came up. I could have spent a miserable night on the mountain, but decided to hike/stumble/crawl out.

And yes, I have been influenced by this forum.

Rick
07-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, I for one welcome the change. I think that having sensible gear with you keeps you safer and gives you options you otherwise wouldn't have. I'm glad you decided to add some more gear. Would it make sense to leave a note on your table before leaving advising where you are going? At least someone might know where to look. It might be next spring before they find the note but they'd still know where to look.

What kind of mine workings are these? I've seen open pit and drift mines in the Anchorage area (maybe a bit farther north, I'm not sure). But I've not been in your area so I don't know what they did. Certainly a drift mine could provide shelter in the short term if you have access to an old one.

Sourdough
07-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Rick, As far as I know less than 5% of the known mines in the Chugach National Forest are functional at this time. Most were/are Drift Mines. For safety/liability reasons the FS have closed the known entrance to nearly all of the mines. I just enjoy being out there, and as long as I am, I like trying to find old mines. There are Dall Sheep, Mt. Goats, Caribou and Black & Grizzly Bears to watch. I just started working Colorado Creek last Friday, that should take the rest of this summer to get it and the side valleys explored.

Winter
07-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm kinda stubborn. I like the alice med. It works and is comfy for me.

Sarge47
07-12-2011, 12:57 AM
...And yes, I have been influenced by this forum.

You big "Wuss," you! C'mon everybody, group hug! :sneaky2: :innocent: :whistling: :cool2:

Rick
07-12-2011, 07:53 AM
SD - How did they close the entrance on the old mines? Here, there has to be a concrete plug installed whether it's drift or shaft. I don't remember the depth of the plug off hand but I think 30 feet. I've seen some in other locations closed by simple steel door and lock. If they used something like the latter and you intend to be in an area for some time I would think a pair of bolt cutters cached nearby would be good insurance. I certainly don't advocate entering old mine shafts or trespassing on property Mines and Minerals has closed but any port in a storm if it's a true emergency.

Sourdough
07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
SD - How did they close the entrance on the old mines? Here, there has to be a concrete plug installed whether it's drift or shaft. I don't remember the depth of the plug off hand but I think 30 feet. I've seen some in other locations closed by simple steel door and lock. If they used something like the latter and you intend to be in an area for some time I would think a pair of bolt cutters cached nearby would be good insurance. I certainly don't advocate entering old mine shafts or trespassing on property Mines and Minerals has closed but any port in a storm if it's a true emergency.

Here they (Forest Service) uses spray urethane expanding foam insulation, and a can of spray paint.

crashdive123
07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
So - if it truly were a dire emergency where you needed shelter, you should be able to gain access with a large knife of axe?

hunter63
07-12-2011, 11:22 AM
So does this pack have a removable bag, and a larger pack?
Is this it?:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4TSHB_enUS309US309&q=Kelty+%22Courser+40&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12058538353150095254&sa=X&ei=1WUcToa_Aoji0QGZz8HjBw&ved=0CE8Q8wIwBg#

Sourdough
07-12-2011, 11:38 AM
So does this pack have a removable bag, and a larger pack?
Is this it?:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1T4TSHB_enUS309US309&q=Kelty+%22Courser+40&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12058538353150095254&sa=X&ei=1WUcToa_Aoji0QGZz8HjBw&ved=0CE8Q8wIwBg#

Yes, That is the pack, and no "IT" does not have a removeable bag. It is a small (By my standards) light weight (By my standards) Day Pack. I will mount it on a larger external frame pack.

SARKY
07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
That is similar to the system I use which is a Kifaru "Navigator" with the Kifaru E&E pack docked and locked to the back of it. If need be I can drop the Navigator, pop off the E&E (which has all my survival gear) and keep trucking.

hunter63
07-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Now that's what I was expecting from a piggyback pack, very cool......... Man look at all the stuff that can go on that, I like it.
Now how am I gonna carry it?

Sparky93
07-12-2011, 06:11 PM
http://www.mytravelbackpack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/131-jason-hiking-dog-in-his-backpack.jpg

Did somebody say piggyback pack?

Sourdough
07-17-2011, 09:36 AM
That is similar to the system I use which is a Kifaru "Navigator" with the Kifaru E&E pack docked and locked to the back of it. If need be I can drop the Navigator, pop off the E&E (which has all my survival gear) and keep trucking.

Exactly.........So last night I ordered the Kifaru "Escape & Evasion" pack. (1,000 c.i.)

Beans
07-17-2011, 09:55 PM

E&E packs are great. Save or duplicate the "must have" in a belt pack seperate from your E&E pack in case your E&E pack goes south or you have to move so quickly you won't have time to disengage it., Also pack the very basics in your cargo pants pockets so that if you are only left with your pants you'll have some things.
Each stage, Backpack, E&E pack, Belt pack, Cargo pants pockets will have gear you need, but more basic the deeper you go. For example your pants pockets may only have a folding knife, fire starting materials, 50 ft of paracord . a plastic bag and one stripped down MRE or something simular. Don't put everyting in one pocket in case it gets torn, by Falling Etc, and you lose what is in that pocket.

If you carry your compass or anything around your neck make sure you can break the cord with a sharp jerk.

Rick
07-17-2011, 11:12 PM
There are tons of sharp jerks around here. I may well be partially in that class. You'll have to decide which part.

Sourdough
07-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Just speaking for myself........."I loath cargo pockets, drop holsters, etc." I want it all on my back. For me it is not a Escape & Evasion pack, but a assault/survival Pack. Last Friday I humped 48# camp up 3,200 feet and 4.5 Miles miles in using a external frame pack. I left it all on the mountain and ran/trotted down. I felt very naked with no gear if I got hurt or nibbled coming down.

Soon I'll go back up with a small outfit (20 pounds) merge the two and move over one valley, and set-up a base camp at the 4,200 foot elevation. Then if I had the "Kifaru" E&E I would use that for day hikes out of camp. If I found a nicer unexplored high valley, I would leave the "E&E" pack there, and go move the base camp.

SARKY
07-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I use my Navigator as my nice to have pack where as my E&E is my must have stuff pack.

Rick
07-18-2011, 09:12 AM
How do you store those packs? Do you have them inside something? Critters (fieldmice, etc.) love to chew up stuff and make nests in stuff and if it's open then they can have a field day. Not to mention the effects of weather and UV on materials.

Sourdough
07-18-2011, 09:48 AM
How do you store those packs? Do you have them inside something? Critters (fieldmice, etc.) love to chew up stuff and make nests in stuff and if it's open then they can have a field day. Not to mention the effects of weather and UV on materials.

Moth-balls, I put the gear in a 33 gallon trash bag with moth balls, put that into another trash bag with a few more moth balls. set a few moth balls around. Ravens, magpies, and bears would be the biggest problem here.

Rick
07-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Just remember that UV breaks down plastic trash bags pretty quickly. Don't expect the trash bag to last more than a couple of months if it's in direct sunlight.