PDA

View Full Version : smoking for long term preservation

dunsee
07-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Im wanting to learn all i possibly can about smoking meat, mostly venison for long term with no modern stuff required, such as electricity, propane, liquid smoke, ect.

wtrfwlr
07-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Hey dunsee- I just joined today so it was good to find something I could help out with, here are three book titles that will give lots of info-The Home Book of Smoke-Cooking by Jack Slieght and Raymond Hull, Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas and Butchering,Processing and Preservation of Meat by Frank G. Ashbrook. Hope this helps you out, smoking meat is a lot of fun and you can do it as simple as you want.

Winnie
07-11-2011, 04:20 AM
Another Book you might consider is Putting Food By. By Janet Green, Ruth Hertzberg and Beatrice Vaughn. Although this book, as it's title implies is general, the information is first class and for a beginner is great. It also covers how to store cured and smoked items. Also check out this link to our Official Book thred, someone is bound to have mentioned something of use to you! http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?5483-Official-Book-Thread!. BTW, welcome!

Mischief
07-11-2011, 07:47 PM
wtrfwlr
Does any of the three books you posted deal with smoking & preserving without any modern "Stuff"?

wtrfwlr
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Yes they do. The Butchering and Preservation of meat is very comprihensive and claims on the cover as a manual for home and farm, believe I got that one from the Whole Earth Catalog. All three titles are DIY and having the basics learned you can them adapt for as primitive as needed. The Ashbrook book also covers alot about slaughter, skinning, and handling hides. Has chapters on cattle,hogs sheep,game,poultry,fish.

dunsee
07-12-2011, 10:01 PM
awesome, ill have to look them up, thank you

Mertell
07-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Dunsee,

Another GOOD book is STOCKING UP. Author: staff of Organic Gardening. Publisher: Rodale Press, Emmaus, PA USA.
(1977)

An excellent volume (530 pages) on all manner of preserving the harvest, be it meat, beet or fowl. Excellent section on smoking.

Highly recommended.

-Mert

dunsee
07-13-2011, 08:26 PM
cool, thanks, next payday ive got some books to get