PDA

View Full Version : Axe Practice

IA Woodsman
07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
There has been many discussions about axes lately. I am a big fan of an axe. The question has been asked if you only had one tool to take to the woods what would it be. For many, it would be an axe. But, we are not born with an axe in our hand. Here are a couple of things you can do to increase you proficiency with this tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwgRA3UZOMA

You don't have to be in the woods to practice. These drills can be done in your backyard. These skill drills are a little harder than you might think. Give em a try.

crashdive123
07-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Another good video. Well done.

Rick
07-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Very nice job. Great vid.

LowKey
07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Good vid. I do have to say it's strange though to consider someone may have never used an axe, but that is true, if sad. When clearing brush and saplings in the backyard, I prefer an axe over a chainsaw. Just seems a more enjoyable, quieter way of doing an ornerous chore.

Rick
07-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Orner...ous. Ornerous. That's French isn't it?

LowKey
07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
An extra r and you think I'm speaking french???
:p
got it confused with ornery.

IA Woodsman
07-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Another good video. Well done.

Very nice job. Great vid.
Thanks Guys

Good vid. I do have to say it's strange though to consider someone may have never used an axe, but that is true, if sad. When clearing brush and saplings in the backyard, I prefer an axe over a chainsaw. Just seems a more enjoyable, quieter way of doing an ornerous chore.
Lots of people have not used an axe before. That is just a fact these days.

Rick
07-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Lots of people have not used an axe before. That is just a fact these days.

I think you're spot on and many that have used one don't understand the proper use of it or just how versatile a tool it is. Those of us that have been privileged to watch old woodsmen (real woodsmen of yesterday) use one can appreciate how valuable an axe is as a tool and just what those woodsmen were able to accomplish with one. Your vid on the Cold Steel Trail Hawk comes about as close as anything I've seen or read in a long time. I've seen my grandfather use an axe head in some of the ways you demonstrated and it brought back some really great childhood memories. Thanks!

tsitenha
07-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Excellent video and contents, axmanship is sadly loosing it's place in woodcraft.

tsitenha
07-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Yes Rick that is french, basicaly means that if you don't do your chores
your wife will "on your ous" though the last spelling can be different

Rick
07-09-2011, 08:09 PM
See? I knew it was something like that. You can't fool a fool. Wait a minute.....

shiftyer1
07-10-2011, 12:27 AM
I really wish I could watch the video.....don't ever subscribe to wild blue internet!

IA Woodsman
07-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Here is another practice session for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgMWjN4pNdo

Rick
07-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Another great job. I hope your dog wasn't giving you a critical review just before the two minute mark. I thought it was much better than that. :stuart:

crashdive123
07-15-2011, 03:49 PM
That will teach you to practice in the dog's restroom. Well done.

IA Woodsman
07-15-2011, 04:08 PM
That will teach you to practice in the dog's restroom. Well done.

Another great job. I hope your dog wasn't giving you a critical review just before the two minute mark. I thought it was much better than that. :stuart:

She is my harshest critic.

mouse111111
09-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Great video, and you're right, not many people use axes nowadays. I've grown up cutting firewood with my dad, and for some reason he had this phoebia of axes. He said THEY were dangerous, and yet he let me use a chainsaw without suervision....

Cousin-IT
10-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Great video, and you're right, not many people use axes nowadays. I've grown up cutting firewood with my dad, and for some reason he had this phoebia of axes. He said THEY were dangerous, and yet he let me use a chainsaw without suervision....

you don't need to rush someone with a chainsaw wound to the hospital.... just a quick call to the morg :/

i admit i've never used an axe until i bought a hatchet about two weeks ago..... i hate living in the suburbs :@ just no money to live anywhere else

K4Outdoors
04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
No one thinks of batoning with an axe, great vid