PDA

View Full Version : Handline

fishslayer112
06-29-2011, 05:09 PM
I was wondering how to fish with a rod compacted and put in a survival kit. I couldnt find a way so, I improvised. I got a coke can and tied fishing line to it. I then wrapped it to my desired length. I then tied on a hook, cork,and weight. I had my doubts about it but it turns out it works great! Its perfect for streams and even ponds. Its great for bream and small catfish too.

C:\Users\Teacher\Downloads\handline.jpg

Sarge47
06-29-2011, 05:45 PM
I was wondering how to fish with a rod compacted and put in a survival kit. I couldnt find a way so, I improvised. I got a coke can and tied fishing line to it. I then wrapped it to my desired length. I then tied on a hook, cork,and weight. I had my doubts about it but it turns out it works great! Its perfect for streams and even ponds. Its great for bream and small catfish too.

C:\Users\Teacher\Downloads\handline.jpg (C:%5CUsers%5CTeacher%5CDownloads%5Chandline.jpg)I t's against the law here. If it's a survival situation, then I'll use a trot line. :nod:

Sarge47
06-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Check this fishing rod out, scroll down & you'll see the infamous "kick-tail" lure which is reported to work so well that if you get caught using one in many fishing competitions, you'll be disqualified!

http://ngcsports.com/page2.cfm

Enjoy! :nod:

Rick
06-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Look up the Cuban Reel Hand Fishing YoYo. They are the commercial version of just what you described. But they work exactly the same as your Coke can and the Coke can is free.

fishslayer112
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
oh cool. I thought I had invented something. darn.

Rick
06-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Well, I think you invented the "Fishslayer Coke Can Reel Handfishing YoYo".

JPGreco
06-29-2011, 11:36 PM
a friend of mine has a compactable pole that extends to about 5'. He keeps it in his car so he can fish whenever. It works pretty well too.

As for a hand reel, in scout camp if someone didn't have a rod and wanted to fish, we would go find a good branch, cut it to about a foot and wrap line around it. Set the hook and bobber and that was it. I can't see your pic OP, so I can't really see what you're talking about, but the hand reels we used worked great. If you kept the "rod" in one hand and loosely held some line in your fingers in the other hand, you could feel when fish were nibbling the bait. If it got pulled out of your finger, they would yank the "rod" and set the hook. Best way to reel in the fish was to just back away from the shore line and drag the fish up on shore. Best thing about it is if you wanted to walk away, you just jammed the stick in the ground.

NightShade
07-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I have a telescoping 6 ft rod.. I pack an ultra light reel (its small) .. works awesome, packs small. Great replacement for the hand rigs(I still keep) I have out of wood but based on the coke can principle. I picked it up at Bass Pro for a reasonable price... Though, I still carry the hand rig... who knows when you lose a few eyelets or snap a rod!

Ted
07-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I saw some kids fishing once using just a glass soda bottle as a reel (no rod). They had the line wrapped around the neck of the bottle and would us their thumb to hold it in place till they cast it. They were casting out a good 50, 60' feet! then would wrap it back around the neck as they were reeling it in.

mouse111111
10-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Yesterday, I got about 7 feet of line and a small hook, found an earthworm on the bank, and caught 2 bluegills in less than 10 minutes. Long casts aren't always needed.