PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Pelt

fishslayer112
06-27-2011, 09:38 PM
I like to squirrel hunt alot when Im not bowhunting. Ive wanted to tan the hides of the squirrels that I kill. Ive tried brain tanning and it just shrivelled up and became hard as a brick. Do any of you guys have an easier way other than buying a kit?

your_comforting_company
06-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Sounds to me like you didn't continue working the pelt from wet to dry. It must be kept moving while wet with brains, stretching in various directions. I've done a few squirrels that turned out very nice. Keep in mind that any hide that has the hair and grain left on will be slightly less stretchy than any which has had them removed.
Not sure if you read the thread on tanning small furs, but there is a pretty decent tutorial on it on the boards.

Did you salt it? If so, did you rinse all the salt out?

I'm glad to help you with braintanning any way I can. It is one of my favorite hobbies and I spoke with the Administrator at Landmark Park on Saturday about holding classes there again. He praised my presentation and said that many people are wanting to attend the classes. With recent state budget cuts, the Park is lacking in funding, so I'm thinking I'll have several sessions this fall and winter, and let 75% of the proceeds go directly to the park. If I can just break even on gas I'll be happy. Adding a large beaver to my list of tanned critters this year, which should generate even more interest, and I hope to have a dozen or so squirrels for the group of falconers who wish to attend the classes.

pete lynch
06-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Are you using the squirrel's brain?

randyt
06-28-2011, 07:22 AM
I've tanned furs with a alum formula and a battery acid formula. If you like I will post the formula.

fishslayer112
06-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Landmark Park? In Alabama? Thats right up the road from my house!!! But you dont have to go through the time to post the formula. Thanks alot though. You guys have been very helpful to me and I just started using this website yesterday!

your_comforting_company
06-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Yes. Landmark Park in Alabama, lol. I'll let you know when the next demonstration is, and if you're interested, the class schedule when we figure it out. Gonna have to do a lot of cooling off before I get into tanning this year. Heat and rotting flesh are not good things to put together.

fishslayer112
06-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Haha, I agree!