PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Boxes

fishslayer112
06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Ive made a few rabbit boxes and I have set them out around what I think is worked heavily by rabbits and not had any luck. I have a huge 260 acre farm full of planted pines, deer food plots, timber, fields, and 2 ponds. I have seen hundreds of rabbits during deer and turkey season so, I set them out and my dad told me when he was a little boy his dad would always use apples as bait. I tried that and not had any luck and I have a few questions. Where should i set them? How do I know if the area is worked by rabbits? Am I using the right bait? How many should I put out?

your_comforting_company
06-28-2011, 05:23 AM
Rabbits poop out little round pellets. If you see lots of those, you should be in the right area. Rabbits and hares tend to nest in brush piles and dense thickets. Around here at least, they tend to like succulent plants (can't keep them off our tomatoes this year). I say pay attention to the plants they nibble on, and use something similar as bait.
Good Luck!

randyt
06-28-2011, 07:31 AM
A few thoughts. This time of year is not the best time to harvest rabbits. There is a abundance of natural food and they're having their young. Do your rabbit boxes have a double or screened end? I find that animals tend to go in a box if they can see through it. Also look for their sign and set the traps near or on the trails. A double door trap can be set on their trails with out bait. Rabbits aren't particularly wary but if a natural food supply is readily available, there really isn't a reason to go after bait.

fishslayer112
06-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Im not trapping them this time. I trap them in the season. no, it doesn't have a screened end. Its just a box and when it goes in to get the bait it will hit the trigger stick and the box door will fall. It doesnt kill them. Thanks guys.

your_comforting_company
06-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Since I now know you live near me, "around here" applies to you. Good luck with the bunnies!
Live traps are great because the best way to store your food is to keep it alive till you're ready to eat it.

General rule that I've always heard about rabbits and squirrels is that you only harvest and eat them in months that have an "r" in them. I.e. not May, June, July, or August. They are said to have parasites in the summer months called "wolves" (??).

Canadian-guerilla
06-29-2011, 10:21 AM
General rule that I've always heard about rabbits and squirrels is that you only harvest and eat them in months that have an "r" in them. I.e. not May, June, July, or August. They are said to have parasites in the summer months called "wolves" (??).

What are wolf worms?

Wolf Worm:

This fat parasite is the larvae of the bot fly and will eventually hatch into an adult bot fly if not removed. Wolf worms are commonly picked up around rabbit burrows as the rabbit is one of their favorite hosts. Most pets are curious about rabbits or are even trained to hunt them, so they may stick their head into the burrow. This is why most wolf worms are found in the neck and head area. Unfortunately, this is why wolf worms can be so dangerous. Wolf worms can actually end up burrowing into the brain or some other vital organ. Many pets will need to be sedated for your veterinarian to properly remove the worm. Improper removal can result in damaging the worm which can lead to anaphylactic shock.

Wolf worms come from bot flies. They deposit an egg in animals fur, and when it hatches, it burrows into the skin

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_wolf_worms

learn something new everyday :thumbs_up:

fishslayer112
06-29-2011, 03:56 PM
M dad told me that too.