PDA

View Full Version : Buck....again!

Sarge47
06-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Batoning is often talked about on this forum like it's the only thing you can do other than carry a huge ax. However, for those of you who might not know, Buck makes a really cool, lightweight backpacking ax, called the camp ax:

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=2952

Besides it's ultra lightweight, it has a hollow plastic handle that's really tough. So if you carry one of these you can save wear & tear on your knife! :cool2:

crashdive123
06-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Soooooooo - the hollow plastic handle is tough, but the hollow metal handle on a knife is not?

JK/ Buck, Fiskars, Gerber all offer nice little hatchets and axes like that.

Sarge47
06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Soooooooo - the hollow plastic handle is tough, but the hollow metal handle on a knife is not?

JK/ Buck, Fiskars, Gerber all offer nice little hatchets and axes like that.
I'm sure they do, however the point here was that it wasn't necessary to carry a "full-size" ax in place of batoning a knife. Any of these small ax's will do. :cool2:

Winter
06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Batoning give me more control of the split. That and I just like large knives.I've never broken a knife splitting wood, or even saw any wear from doing it.

mwp
06-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Check out the eastwing line of hatchets. I had looked for a long tome and tried out several. now I keep on in my boat, truck and on my go bag. They come with a nice leather sheath. As with the rest of their tools I am happy with their product. Check them out. Lowe's carries them. mwp

EdD270
06-24-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't advocate batoning with a knife, but have done it using Buck and other brands of knife. Never had any noticable wear, let alone any breakage.
Buck's axes are pretty good, but there are many others. Estwing is heavy, but extremely durable. About any axe is heavier than any knife I'd carry. I prefer my knife and saw combo.

SARKY
06-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I too prefer a big knife to an axe. I do however carry a coldsteel hatchet, which I use for splitting and hammering.