PDA

View Full Version : Show me your BOOTS, Not your "Survival Kit".....???

Sourdough
06-24-2011, 12:02 PM
:tt2::tt2:........ Here we have the truth about Wilderness Survival, "Survival Kit" views = 163,710 (Wow that is a bunch)

Survival "KIT" replies = 1,158 (Wow that is a bunch)

Photos of shinny new/unused survival kits and the special kit bag = "ALL"

Photos of well used kits and dirty old kit bag = "NONE"

Sticky: Survival kits info. Started by rubybeetle, 02-12-2007 01:50 PM
58 Pages •
58 Replies: 1,158
Views: 163,710
Last Post By:
Last Post: Today 04:55 AMby TheWind777 Forum:
Survival Kits & Survival

On yesterdays hike I discovered my right foot was coming out the side of the boot. They were used up anyway, with cuts from sharp rocks, and the tread worn nearly down.
Today I will disassemble them for salvage. Keep the leather, and trash the rest. They will receive a proper burial befitting trusted friends who "Supported" me for years. A healthy shot of "Resposado" 100% De Agave Tradicional shall salute the stalwart performance.

Show Me your worn-out survival kit, "Hell" show me your anything but NEW survival kit.

Rick
06-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Here you go. These aren't mine but I've had some that look like it.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1439/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1439R-1114493.jpg

http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/RussianLake.htm

Too funny.

Sarge47
06-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I agree with you, SD, however a shiny survival kit can be used as a mirror for a signaling device, as well as checking your hair style, etc..:2:

Firecraft
06-24-2011, 01:37 PM
What boots?

Sourdough
06-24-2011, 02:31 PM
What boots?

NATIVE'DUDE welcome back to the forum.

Sarge47
06-24-2011, 02:35 PM
NATIVE'DUDE welcome back to the forum.
Maybe he's NOT Native Dude, but a Cody Lundin "wannabe!" :innocent: :cool2:

Just thinkin' out loud....

Winter
06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/w6f7/011-1.jpg

Rick
06-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Boots, Winter. Boots! I can't take you guys anywhere. I send you to school and buy you books ...

BENESSE
06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Now it's Winter Boots?
What if you live in Florida?

Winter
06-24-2011, 04:05 PM
We ran out of food. I'm cooking my boots.

Rick
06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Oh, Mea Culpa. See? If you had a survival kit........

crashdive123
06-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Now it's Winter Boots?
What if you live in Florida?

Flip flops....

BENESSE
06-24-2011, 05:46 PM
6717Here you go Crash...made just for you.

crashdive123
06-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Those must be for winter.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-24-2011, 06:42 PM
My boots just did another nine hours on the concrete.....

Winter
06-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah, crash needs something with more color to match his knife.
http://www.shoezoo.us/images/converses/converse-tiedye-s.jpg

crashdive123
06-24-2011, 08:19 PM
I think I wore those to a Grateful Dead concert back in the 60's. Jerry Garcia would be so proud.

Beans
06-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Those darn boots. Just when they get real comfortable you have to toss them out. (they are gone). Patches on patches, resoled so many time the shoe repairman says "No more"
I just hate starting over with a new pair.

vahtryn
06-28-2011, 12:00 AM
I won't make a hyper link to my blog, but I wrote about my most recent pair of boots and I still stand by them. They've been great since I have purchased them.

I'm currently using the converse ones. They're wonderful and comfortable. So in order to not hyper link, and yes I'm sure my domain may offend some, I'll let others read what I had to say about them after picking them up.

I coded the link so it would not be clickable. I didn't want to paste what I thought about the boots here. So here it goes:

http://hatred.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/product_thumb.php_.jpegPicked up some new boots a couple of weeks ago.* I needed something a bit more outdoorsy than what I have in the stable of shoes and boots.* Normally I'm a big John Fluevog (http://www.fluevog.com/) person when it comes to style.* I even have an awesome pair of 40th Anniversary (http://www.fluevog.com/code/images/colour_image/0000004299/composite.jpg) gold boots from him. They're comfortable, and definitely stand out when on a night on the town, yet absolutely horrible if you're going to be doing anything remotely out doors.* Some research and I came to the conclusion that I'm gonna give Converse a try. I loved the chucks growing up and skate boarding.* Didn't know they made boots.

Boy am I glad I went this route.* These boots are absolutely comfortable.* Upon putting them on for the first time they already felt like they were broken in for me.* Still stiff in some places, but where it truly counts is where your foot is sitting on the inside.* These things have a nice spring added in because of the inserts that come by default.* If you normally wear a specific type of insert I can only imagine these boots being even more comfortable.

The side zipper certainly makes getting them off easier.* Perhaps I haven't worn these enough yet to make it easier to put them on as I still have to untie them each time I put them on, but thems the bricks.* It's a nice little addition for someone who has never had boots that zipped up on the side.* I don't see myself wanting boots without this feature again.

http://hatred.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/product_thumb-1.php_.jpegThe sole of these boots is what most impresses me. They're very grippy on just about any surface. Normal around the city I can't imagine myself falling at all.* Yesterday when I was with the dog on a ranch we went for a short little two mile hike through a dry creek bed and I had no issues climing over dead trees, over the banks, through the sand or the fields we were walking in as well. Definitely feel good for the next time I go hiking and camping wearing these things.

Usually at the beach I'm barefoot or just in flip flops but decided today I would give the boots a water test.* Water is hard to come by here in San Diego County.* I hit the waves slightly, not enough to submerse my legs up to the knees but enough to get the boots wet.* My feet stayed dry with that test.* On the walk around and over to the swamp area of the dog park I had no issues with that terrain either.* Feet stayed dry, never lost footing which is a miracle when you have a hyper dog always running around you.

All in all I give these boots an A+.* I have no clue how they would work when it comes to cold weather but I feel they would be fine if you wore wool socks.

crashdive123
06-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Vahtryn - you cannot "direct" people to your blog whether it is via hyperlink, or some other method. You can make it part of your signature if you desire.

Sarge47
06-28-2011, 09:28 AM
My boots are so old they're walking by themselves now. However my survival kit is still shiny 'cuz I've never had to use it...lucky me, huh? :laugh:

Pocomoonskyeyes3
06-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Just something to consider SD. Do you think the Survival tins might still be new, because they haven't been needed...Yet? Actually my FAK has been used more than my Survival kit. Sometimes I don't even use the FAK, except for a bit of Neosporin to prevent infection. I have never used my Survival Kit because I haven't needed to use it...yet.

This year I Finally put my favorite pair of boots to the side....after @ 9 years. They made both Jamborees. I just can't bring myself to toss them, or even "Re-purpose" them either....yet. But I DO see some knife sheaths coming from them.....sometime in the future. Just as soon as I get over my sentimental attachment. :o

vahtryn
06-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Vahtryn - you cannot "direct" people to your blog whether it is via hyperlink, or some other method. You can make it part of your signature if you desire.

and now I have modified the post to include the information I felt was relevant to the conversation. I decided not to have a hyper link to it in respect to others due to the nature of my domain name. That way if you wanted to actually read what I wrote you could copy the URL and then paste it into another browser or tab or what ever. I did that out of respect and not expecting more "hits" because I do not collect any money from running that server.

edr730
06-29-2011, 07:09 AM
I get a graveyard of dead boots in the closet sometimes. The longest I've ever owned a work boot is 6 months. Often only three months. Clothes the same way. I used to blow boots out on the sides, but it seems to help if I get the wider boot and never oil or wax them near the soles.