PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on Wavespin Reel

Jpfree
06-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Wavespin reel? Is it worth the 40 bucks? Seems pretty affordable and good quality.

LowKey
06-21-2011, 08:56 PM
A $40 reel is worth what you pay for it. I see it's regular list is $70......
Are you going to use it for surfcasting or for inland fishing?

I haven't tried this reel but gave up on $40 reels for surfcasting a LOonnng time ago.
And on Sportsmans Guide. They won't ship anything even remotely gun related or knife related to MA. They can keep it.

glockcop
06-22-2011, 05:11 PM
I think it's probably worth the asking price but I don't think it will last as long as a Shimano. Shimano is more expensive and have fewer ball bearings than alot of other reels in their price range but they last MUCH longer and stay smooth WAAAAYYY longer. I've been through Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Quantum, Pflueger, Mitchell, Okuma, Tica, Pinnacle, Ryobi, ect and always come back to Shimano spinning reels. They have all been decent to good performers but I think Shimano has perfected the spinning reel. Daiwa and Quantum come closest IMO. Remember it's not the quantity of the ball bearings but the quality of them that makes a reel last longer and keep feeling smooth. Not to mention gear geometry, gear finish, and gear material that contributes to longevity and smoothness. IMO a 5 ball bearing Shimano spinning reel will last longer and stay smoother than a 10 ball bearing anything else. In baitcasters Shimano also dominates but others like Daiwa and Abu Garcia come really close IMO. YMMV.

LowKey
06-22-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm with GlockCop. I went through Abu Garcia and Penn but now only use Shimanos. They are pricey but with care and cleaning they last for years. I also like the baitcasters. I disagree on the Abu Garcia. It doesn't even come close to the Shimano in reliability and robustness in baitcasting.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-22-2011, 09:52 PM
I disagree... I have several Ambasaduer's I trust with any monster. I do have my eye a Shimano speed reel. 100$ range. Let's see the fish...The proof is in the pudding!

your_comforting_company
06-23-2011, 05:39 AM
I have two shimanos on ugly sticks and I love them. Had them for years and they are still as smooth and dependable as the day I bought them, even with the heck I put them through. Not terribly expensive either, considering how long they last. Zebco makes decent reels, but they just don't seem to last very long, IMO. Of course you have to take into account how much they get wet and sandy from wading. I prefer open face spinners to case reels, and I can't use a baitcaster to save my life.
Depends really on where you're gonna be fishing: I can fish a 10' wide creek or a mile wide lake with my ugly stick setups. One other fav I might mention is the zebco anniversary edition with swappable spools. I keep one spool rigged with trilene fire line for bassing, and the other with monofil for panfish. I use it on a cyclone 5.5' rod and I can drop a beetlespin or cricket into a 6" gap in foliage 30 yards away, right up to the bank. (30 years of practice is a big help too LOL)
Just my 2¢, even if it's only worth a penny ;)

Jpfree
06-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Still considering it.

LowKey
06-28-2011, 09:32 PM
CS are you saltwater fishing with that Ambassador? Like I said, I've only ever used bait casters so maybe the open reels work better longer (no bearings on the cast). <shrug> I just know it's no fun sitting on a beach with a busted reel.