PDA

View Full Version : New Brindle Catahoula

glockcop
06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Well, It seems that I'm a "dad" again. A couple of days before Father's day and just one day before my son's 6th birthday, a brindle coat Catahoula puppy about 5 mos old came to my property and decided she wants to live here. I have no idea where she came from. She just showed up. No neighbors claimed her so I have claimed her. We named her "Gumbo" because her brindle coat really looks like gumbo. I think "Gumbo" is a fitting name for a true home grown Louisiana breed. I was not ready for another dog just yet after loosing my "Patch Dog" to a parasite a while ago, but she has quickly changed my mind. Smart as a whip, gentle as a butterfly, and fast as an F-16. Just an all around good natured dog that's a pleasure to work with. What a fast learner she is. She trains soooo easily. I mean, she picks up on what you are teaching her within just a couple of minutes. She has already claimed my boys as her own. At five mos old she is already a hunter. God help the next racoon who wanders onto the property after seeing what happened to the last one. She is hilarious to watch chase ducks around my pond and she keeps the rabbits on their toes. I swear she actually ''smiles'' at you when she is happy. I could not make or mold a better disposition into a dog even if I was capable. I feel fortunate to have her. Ok,....I'll say it,....I already love this lil critter.

Rick
06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Ain't Karma grand? Congrats, "dad".

crashdive123
06-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Congrats Pops.

glockcop
06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks ya'll. My six year old son is convinced that my brother/his "Pahran" (Godfather) who recently passed on sent "Gumbo" from heaven for his birthday :). Maybe...Who knows. I do know this much, now she has a home that will love her right back and he got a "present" of a lifetime for his B-day.

BENESSE
06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
So glad y'all found each other! It was meant to be.

Pal334
06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Your son has a buddy for life there

glockcop
06-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Your son has a buddy for life there

You're not kidding. They seem to already be joined at the hip. Anywhere he goes on the acreage the "hoola" goes with him. It's really cool that they have bonded so fast.

Willie
08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
They really are great dogs. We are from Picayune and when we moved to NC no one knew what they were!

Willie

Winter
08-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Good for you and the family GC. I have no idea what a catahula is.

crashdive123
08-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Sounds like a dog to me.:innocent:

Winter
08-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Right, so does Kardashian.

Rick
08-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Oh, man! Coffee all over the computer again.

crashdive123
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Right, so does Kardashian.

I'd stick with the catahula. Probably easier to housebreak.

Winter
08-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Alpo is cheaper then cocaine.

Rick
08-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Well, that right there was funny I don't care who you are. God bless them little pygmy puppies down there in New Guinea.

oldtrap59
08-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Have a neighbor that has a couple of catahulas. He uses them mainly as hog hunters. From what I have seen and what he tells me they're just plain natural hunters. Seems it doesn't take alot to train them on a single animal. He has told me that his seldom cut a trail of something other then hogs and show any interest. Being that I have been a coon hunter for years I understand how important that is in any hunting dog.

Oldtrap