PDA

View Full Version : How to approach a rural/remote cabin or camp.

Sourdough
06-19-2011, 09:42 PM
If you have ever seen the movie "Out of Africa" when ever someone approaches a house/cabin that is not their own, they call out, "Hello to the House". It is a polite way of announcing your proximity. Why........well I bath outside this time of year. I moved the outhouse in March and now just squat (Carefully) over the hole. If there is a commotion outside and I am in my undershorts, I grab a gun and run outside.

So you can only imagine how quickly today I had the Glock M-24 pointed at the wahoo who had his nose against my window, hands cupped around his eyes looking at me.

This even applies to camps, if you are approaching a camp and don't want to get shot, call out "Hello to the camp".

The life you save will be your own.

BornthatWay
06-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks SD for reminding people how to behave. I hope you scared the crap out of the guy peering in you window. It is jut common curtosy to let people you are about on or approaching their property.

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Soooooo. When will this guy be done insulating the new cabin, cutting and stacking a years worth of firewood, digging the trench for water lines, running that extra electrical cord, rebuilding the two broken chain saws, refilling all of your fuel tanks and cleaning his shorts.

Sourdough
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Had one of the 1911's been squatting next to the computer, my ears would be ringing, and their would be plywood over the window. It truly was close to a bad outcome.

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 10:10 PM
I can imagine. Living fairly remotely and having somebody do that - I can see it ending badly for him. Did you get a chance to talk to him to find out what he was up to?

Sourdough
06-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Soooooo. When will this guy be done insulating the new cabin, cutting and stacking a years worth of firewood, digging the trench for water lines, running that extra electrical cord, rebuilding the two broken chain saws, refilling all of your fuel tanks and cleaning his shorts.

I ran out the door with the G-24 and he was unarmed. His story (Which I believe is true) is that he is a friend of the neighbor (Visiting) and was out for a walk. He was clearly not American and spoke fair English. I don't think he meant any harm, I think he was totally clueless.

Sourdough
06-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Where were the attack Geese?

There are only two remaining, the wolf got most of the herd.

hunter63
06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
That's why we have dogs....not much gets by them, friend or foe.

That is a good point though, always announce yourself......

BENESSE
06-20-2011, 05:56 PM
That's why we have a doorman. Don't need a permit for him.:sneaky2:

Sourdough
06-20-2011, 06:06 PM
That's why we have a doorman. Don't need a permit for him.:sneaky2:

Well "La'Dee Da" I have a door man, mr. Remington 1187 20gauge w/ #3 Buckshot.

BENESSE
06-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Believe me, if we didn't have a doorman, we'd have a bazooka.
Just trying to get by, that's all.

Sourdough
06-20-2011, 07:47 PM
SD, seriously sorry to hear about your Geese. Wish I hadn't brought the subject up. My apology.

No problem, the wolf needed to eat, and I had too many geese to feed @ $19.85 for a 50# bag of Goose food. Everyone is happy (Well maybe not the geese that got ate) Hehehehehehe.

shiftyer1
06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Why in the world look inside like that, not even a knock on the door? I can kind of understand if your place looks abandoned but I doubt it does. Some people just don't think.

EdD270
06-24-2011, 11:34 PM
What is it that makes people, regardless of where they're from, abandon all their decorum and etiquette and manners when they travel beyond the city limits of their hometown??
Folks just need to remember their manners, knock and wait for someone to come to the door, and don't go looking into windows. Around here that's called "peeping tom" and you can go to jail.

JPGreco
06-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I'm a little bewildered on the fact this person didn't even knock. I would only peer in a window if there was no answer after knocking at the door and only if I really needed something.

Winter
06-25-2011, 01:12 AM
I recite a timid "hello?" when encountering cabins, lean-to's, and the like.

Beans
07-05-2011, 10:25 AM
The same courtesy exists for Ranch/farm homes. Go to front gate. the one that is in the fence around the house and give a loud Hello. Some of them have a Bell hanging by the gate to be used as a doorbell. If they don't have a front gate stay several feet from the house and give the hello. Dogs and/or guns may greet you if you fail to announce yourself.

If no one answers, either no one is home or they don't want to talk to you. Either way you have no business pounding on the front door or looking in their windows.

PNW
07-12-2011, 09:27 AM
We were in the wood shed, using the chainsaw; when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I swung
around with a running saw in my hands. Nearly cut a religious solicitor in half. If he hadn't been
fast, oh boy, I still get the shivers thinking about that.

I started shouting in my heart pumping fear, of what I had almost done. I have never had another person from that
particular religion on the place again.

What he was thinking.............both hubby and myself were respectful distances apart, working hard, we had muffs on,
and were absorbed in our work. Oh my, that could have ended so badly, it still fusses me to think of his stupidity.

Old GI
07-12-2011, 11:13 AM
We normally don't get uninvited guests at the ranch, but that's good advice. We had a couple yahoos pull right up to the house selling steaks out of the bed of their pickup (not in a cooler). Between Baron, 130 lbs English Mastiff (very protective when need be) and other "precautions", they won't be coming back.

Shalako
07-20-2011, 08:20 PM
If the guy was foreign, maybe he doesn't understand rural American etiquette, but he would be wise to become a quick learner. In the South, folks knock on the door to find out if anyone's home. Peering in the Window is interpreted to mean that the miscreant is either a peeping tom or is casing the joint for a break in, either of which could potentially end badly for him. I try not to get too excited by such, but I am careful and we would have a discussion about his lack of manners.

shiftyer1
07-21-2011, 12:35 AM
I really wouldn't think peering in windows would be considered wise or appropriate anywhere. Although crossing gates seems to be something city folks really understand.

Sparky93
07-21-2011, 01:17 AM
My mom was on our property deer hunt'n and cleary saw the neighbor shoot a deer on our side of the property and proceded to cross the fence and claim his trophy which had fallen not far from where mom was at. As he walked to his deer mom yelled to him "If you value your head stitten on top of your shoulders, I'd go back the way you came". So he quickly scuried back to his side of the fence and then called and tyed to plead his case sying it was on his side when he shot it. It took some serious begging for him to go claim his prize.

pgvoutdoors
07-23-2011, 04:05 AM
I was told as a child that when I was going to someone's house in the neighborhood, I had to walk to the main entrance only, and to never be looking into the windows along the way. I had to knock on the door and wait for them to answer. If I knocked three times and still no one answered, I had to leave. (even if I knew someone was home)

I broke that rule once while in high school. Some friends and I met these girls that told us to come over later that night around 11:30PM. When we went to the address they gave us, the house was dark but had cars in the driveway. We knocked on the door but no one answered. I started to leave when one of my friends talked me into going around back to take a look. When we looked into the patio window we saw a face looking back at us. WE RAN, and a very large man came out after us with a baseball bat. For a while there things didn't go too well for us and then the police showed up and it got worse. Long story short - we got a good butt kicking and arrested. Come to find out the next day, the girls were at the house next door, we were at the wrong address.

pgvoutdoors
07-23-2011, 04:11 AM
I want to make a point about the Boy scouts. When their at camp and have a need to go into another troop's campsite, they must ask permission to enter camp. This is the kind of lesson they can carry with them into adulthood to avoid problems that Sourdough is speaking of. In the back country it's always best to make yourself known before walking up on someones campsite or cabin.

hunter63
07-23-2011, 12:41 PM
I guess i fail to understand what is so hard about just calling out....Hello, anyone around?....or Hello, the camp.
I have stopped at a lot of farms asking hunting permission and usually they are out and about going about their business....seems to be just common sense.

power
07-23-2011, 12:49 PM
There is usually a reason there is a cabin or camp in a remote area. The owner chose that place to be away from others.
The best thing to do is go away from their area. Why bother a person who has gone to so much trouble to get away from people.