PDA

View Full Version : How about our own Survival Series of Demonstrations?

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 04:20 PM
It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Each member can show in picture or video format how he/she tackles the basics of survival. Backyards, parks, and overnight demonstrations would be welcome. It's NOT meant to be a competition but a method of sharing ideas with each other and the public in one central location.

Take for instance fire:

I can post how I make fire with a lighter (modern)
YCC can post about his bow fire (primitive)
PreachtheWord can post about fire with a battery and staple (inventive or found)

The methods of starting the fires don't have to be different, it could have subtle changes:

Log layering (teepee, pyramid, etc...)
Different woods (hard, soft, grasses...)
Different tinders (lint, birch bark...)

Or no changes at all, but different pieces of information will inherently be stressed with different point of views.

Each basic of survival can be done monthly, bimonthly, or however we wish. After the last basic is covered, we can show how each basic comes together in the grander scheme of things.

The fire we started with our alcohol pad from our first aid, cooks our food and boils our drinking water, also heats our shelter.

Our bright bandanna that we used to filter our water is high in the air for visual signaling.

If this is something everyone is interested in, would it be best to have each poster's basic placed in it's own thread stating to be entered in the series? That way, questions and comments can be directed to one poster at a time. At the end of the decided time frame, just original posts on that basic can be added into one sticky with the link to the original posting with its comments.

Just because the time has went past wouldn't mean you cannot add to the sticky (don't want to punish busy members), it would just mean that a new basic is the main goal for the decided time frame.

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 04:24 PM
We have many threads on topics of what you should carry in you kits and bobs and etc. But how many threads do we have of actually showing how to use these items and the different ways in which they can be used alone or together? I hope this idea can help...

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 04:26 PM
The member's video and the how to section kind of do this. Sounds like you have something different in mind?

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Very similar, but more like only having the instructions without commentary. A person goes through the sticky and sees a method they want to try. If they don't fully understand from the sticky page, the link will be there for them to click on to go to the post.

Also, my thinking is about the BASICS of survival. The stuff posted in the video and how-to section is great, but much of it is above a lot of people's skill level if they aren't familiar with the woods. A person crawls before they walk, and walk before they run. I would include your video of various tinders in the fire basics, but I wouldn't want to include brain tanning as a way to create your shelter if you get what I mean?

I also think it can be a way to boost the activity of the forum if we had a set goal of producing a desired product for a certain time frame and then move to another desired product in which we all attempt.

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Think of shelter, the only threads that come to mind to me with a set of instructions of steps are the ones made by IA Woodsmans and Alaskan Survivalist. I may be wrong and there are more, but I would group their ideas into one central sticky and add other types as well such as different tarp set ups, natural shelters, tents, etc...

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 04:50 PM
I suppose it members start producing more content - either vids or pictorial explanations on some of the basics we can add a sticky titled "Basics of Wilderness Survival" or some other such title. In the thread would be links to the other threads that did the explaining.

Is that what you had in mind?

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I suppose it members start producing more content - either vids or pictorial explanations on some of the basics we can add a sticky titled "Basics of Wilderness Survival" or some other such title. In the thread would be links to the other threads that did the explaining.

Is that what you had in mind?

Not only the link, but the first post as well.

And instead of having members scattered doing different topics at once, all members do the same topic for a length of time. Then move on to the next topic. I hope this would keep it easier to organize.

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 05:03 PM
How about if the sticky - which would be closed - looked something like.......

There are many threads on this forum that explain how to do things in the wilderness, around your home, and many other situations that you might encounter. Some are basic, while others might be more advanced. Below are the general topics and a link to one or more threads that cover that area. Feel free to ask questions, or even start a thread of your own showing how you do something.

Shelter Building

Tarps
link
link
link

Debris shelter
link
link
link

Quiznee -
link
link

Fire starting

Friction Fire -
link
link
link

Flint & Steel -
link

etc, etc.

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 05:06 PM
If that's not what you had in mind, could you give an example?

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok, that sounds good. I like it.

But I would still like to recommend the a goal of members doing a certain basic so everyone can participate at the basic at the same time to generate interest.

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 05:14 PM
It wasn't exactly what I was meaning, but I think it works just as well and without as much confusion trying to convey.

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 05:20 PM
What would you say about the sticky having posts that broke it down to one post covering the basics, another for intermediate, advanced, around the home, food storage, off grid issues.....etc?

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 05:33 PM
That is getting to far in depth than I was intending. Using what you had as an example, Both of these would be under one sticky. Each quote would be a different post. So one sticky with approximately 5-8 posts. Each posts would get links added to each appropriate area.

Shelter Building

Tarps
link
link
link

Debris shelter
link
link
link

Quiznee -
link
link

Fire starting

Friction Fire -
link
link
link

Flint & Steel -
link

I would think that around the home, food storage, off grid, and etc would deserve their own sticky. They also may be more difficult into instructing how-to's since they can go so far in depth.

BENESSE
06-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Sounds way too complicated.

Sarge47
06-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I have envisioned something similar for several years now, but don't have the right video equipment. I thought about doing one on starting a fire under wet conditions. Great idea Ranger! :thumbs_up:

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I have envisioned something similar for several years now, but don't have the right video equipment. I thought about doing one on starting a fire under wet conditions. Great idea Ranger! :thumbs_up:

Thanks.

I have no clue how to make a video, edit, upload, and etc. In the original post you can see where I stated not only video but pictures as well for members like us. Anything I do is limited to pictures that I can take since no one around me shares as much interest as I do. Also, since I am on dial-up, it is a burden at times just to upload pictures. But I still attempt to document some of the things I do. :)

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Sounds way too complicated.

It won't be too complicated once it is organized.
The only thing regular members will need to do is participate in the activity if they so chose, document it in photo or video format, and post it.
Since it will be organized into one central location, the mods can take the link of your post and place it in the correct category in the closed sticky.

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 07:32 PM
RX - I'm still leaning toward (but am willing to be convinced it you show me) one sticky that serves as sort of a table of contents. The reason being - too many sticky's really begin to clutter things up and decrease the number of posts visible on a page.

Rick
06-19-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm more inclined to say how can we make it work rather than it won't work. But Crash is right on multiple stickies. We have to clean them up from time to time or they get unmanageable. It would also provide new members a single place to find many of the skills they are here to search out.

RangerXanatos
06-19-2011, 08:17 PM
This looks long because of the indents. If you'd like to make it more like a table of contents, I would still recommend separating them by topics in the post.

Each number is a different topic in a different post.
Each letter is a way of completing the topic.
Each roman numeral is a link of that way of completing the topic.

1) Shelter

a) Tarps

i) link
ii) link
iii) link

b) Debris Shelter

i) link
ii) link
iii) link

c) Etc...

i) link
ii) link
iii) link

2) Fire

a) Friction

i) link
ii) link
iii) link

b) Flint and Steel

i) link
ii) link
iii) link

c) Etc...

i) link
ii) link
iii) link

3...) Other basics covered like above

8) Homestead

a) Gardening

i) Link

b) Livestock

i) Link

c) Storing

i) Link

d) Etc…

i) Link

9) Other topics in the same format…

FVR
06-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Well last weekend we went camping as a family.

Loaded the minivan.
Cooler full of food, cooler full of drinks mostly water and beer.
Two room tent.
Three blow up beds and the plug in blower uper.
Two bikes, two scooters, helmets.
Way too many blankets.
Four fold out chairs.
Charcoal, propane stove and propane...did not forget the matches.
A 10x10 pop up awning for extra shade.
A Honda quiet generator.
Three fans, a coffee maker, and a lamp to put on the picnic table.
And gas.

My wife considers this roughing it. Yeh, I had to put it all up. She did take most of it down.
Big diff. from min. trekking in the mountains, boy that beer tasted good.

BENESSE
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Wouldn't most of it involve reorganizing existing info and categorizing new?
Or is this strictly for new posts from this point on? If it is, what happens to "search"?

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
From what I understand of the request, it would involve both. The VBulletin search feature sometimes leaves a little to be desired, so in that regard I think it could be something useful. The new threads are easy to add links for, but the older ones will take a little searching.

I just don't want people to start ..... "Hey how come my thread did get linked in the sticky".

rwc1969
06-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Hopefully you'll find many on this forum willing to participate constructively in this endeavor, I hope it goes well. Good luck!

canid
06-20-2011, 12:15 AM
I've got some topics I've long been meaning to make videos for as well. Stopping what I'm doing to take the camera out even when I already have one with me is a hard habit to get into. As an example; I wanted to document the technical ropework and climbing aspects of my canyon trip and mountaineering in Zion, but at those times the camera was usually inside my pack, in the drybag or wrapped up in a sweather for protection.

I keep thinking the solution is to make excursions with the photo/video documentation being the primary goal. I guess that probably applies to the subject material we are talking about in this thread as well.