PDA

View Full Version : Canned bread....B&M

hunter63
06-18-2011, 09:39 AM
This looked good to me, so I'm waiting on a case, to give a try.
http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=141

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/3150N9NH45L__SL500_AA300_cannedbread.jpg

Anyone tried it yet?
Shelf life?

BENESSE
06-18-2011, 10:11 AM
B&M? :ohmy::blink:

Sourdough
06-18-2011, 10:13 AM
40 years ago I took several case with me for part of winter supplies. It has a strong taste, of molasses. It is quite good with cream cheese on it. It is on store shelves here.

Rick
06-18-2011, 10:33 AM
It is good. I have some in storage at the moment. I've eaten several cans of it here at home and while out camping. Of course, it tastes a lot better out camping for some reason.

tipacanoe
06-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I love the stuff, slice it put it in the toaster with butter or cream cheese. Haven't had any in a while, going to the store later, and will need to pick some up. Great with beans and franks as well.

hunter63
06-18-2011, 12:43 PM
It is good. I have some in storage at the moment. I've eaten several cans of it here at home and while out camping. Of course, it tastes a lot better out camping for some reason.

Everything taste better when camping.......LOL

Old GI
06-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Oh, the cream cheese on that bread is GGRREEAATT!!

Camp10
06-18-2011, 09:15 PM
I love the stuff, slice it put it in the toaster with butter or cream cheese. Haven't had any in a while, going to the store later, and will need to pick some up. Great with beans and franks as well.

It's a Maine staple. Brown bread and beans...good stuff!

Mertell
06-19-2011, 01:16 PM
I use it camping. Lightly buttered then grilled like a grilled cheese sandwich. Then spread with cream cheese.

I never eat it at home. LOL

-Mert

Mischief
06-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I love B&M Brown Bread with raisins.

LowKey
06-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Definitely a staple around here. It's more of a molasses cake (like gingerbread but with a grainy wheat-bran like texture). It's great warmed with melted butter on top or it can be good as a dessert warmed with whip cream on top.
I keep about a case of it around, although you do get tired of it.
Don't buy it from Vt Country Store. They want more than 4x what it really costs. I stock up when it's about $1.69 per can or very occasionally 2 for $3.

Cooked raisins...blech!

SARKY
06-21-2011, 01:35 AM
When I was in Maine it along with their baked Kidney beans was a staple. Being out on the left coast now, the best I can do is special order it direct from B&M. Hell, the factory was just down the road, south of FreePort and north of Portland.

Rick
06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Maybe someone has a more recent can than me. Mine were purchased in 2009 and they are stamped with a Best Used by Oct. 20, 2011 on top the can. I'm sure it will be good well beyond that date but their site doesn't provide any specifics. By the way, the Brown Bread also comes with raisins (Mmmmm).

"Q. What is the shelf life after best used by date?

A. Once a product is opened and exposed to light, contaminants in the air, and temperature changes we cannot be absolutely certain for how long a product would be of quality as when it was first filled.

There is no exact answer to this question, too many variables.
Once opened considering where and how long a product has been exposed to light, heat, various room temperatures as well as the actual refrigeration temperature or storage conditions and when it is stored would determine how long it could still be safe to use.

But again even if you never opened a product it will automatically age.

(Provided the packaging has not been compromised). It does not mean you cannot use the product just that it is not at the same quality as when filled."

Source: http://www.bgfoods.com/int_faq.asp

Pal334
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
I have had this a few times, was good with butter. Has anyone ever heard of a similar white / wheat bread product in a can? I tryed googling without success

Rick
06-21-2011, 07:16 PM
I am not aware of any canned (wheat/white) bread producers in the U.S. There are several varieties made in Japan, however.

http://www.nasuinfo.or.jp/FreeSpace/aki_pan/English/CASE1.html

http://www.nasuinfo.or.jp/FreeSpace/aki_pan/English/index.html

If you have an oriental market near you and you REALLY want to try some you might ask if they have it. I'll skip the Green Tea Bread but thanks just the same.

Pal334
06-21-2011, 07:23 PM
I had seen them. Seems strange that there is not just "regular" bread in a can. Guess there just isn't enough demand

Rick
06-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Given the chemical process that yeast requires and the room it needs to expand that might be part of the reason. Molasses based breads don't expand nearly as much. My mom, my MIL and my wife have all baked brown bread and pumpkin bread in cans (not canned but used cans as the baking vessel) and they don't seem to rise very much. It's a much denser bread.

hunter63
06-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I had looked on the store shelves here, and didn't find any, asked the store guy, and got a vacant shrug, so I ordered a case. See link above.
I got an e-mail today telling me that shipping date is gonna be 7/7/11, after the recent production run....apparently is is produce on a part time basis, maybe?

LowKey
06-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Seems I remember MRE Depot discussing canned bread and the logistics of it. I can't find the reference though.
I'd think you'd have to bake it first though, then can it.

Quite honestly, I don't think I've ever looked at the date on the B&M stuff. It rotates out pretty fast though.

crashdive123
06-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Looks like Survival Kitty has a preference.

canid
06-22-2011, 07:14 AM
a potential source for this and any other canned bread products would be the food and grocyery section at amazon. often a good place to get cases of all sorts of storage stable goods. I almost bought a big case of 3 in 1 instant coffee packages and nutella a while back.

BENESSE
06-22-2011, 07:19 AM
I was checking out the ingredients in Pilot bread and they're not great.

Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Whey, Leavening (sodium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate), Salt.

Now in a SHTF scenario, the ingredients are gonna be the least of your problems but if you eat it regularly, just be aware. This stuff isn't good for you.

Can't find yet what's in canned bread.

Rick
06-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Hey! That's some of my favorites. Sweets and Preservatives...the two basic food groups. Yeah, baby.

BENESSE
06-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Contrary to popular belief, Sweets & Preservatives don't make you sweet or preserve you for long.

LowKey
06-22-2011, 08:00 AM
The ingrediants in B&M plain Brown bread are:

Water
Whole Wheat flour
Molasses
Dextrose
Rye flour
whey
degermed yellow corn meal
Baking soda
Buttermilk
salt
Corn oil

8 servings in a can (1/2" slices)
130 calories 5 from fat.
total fat .5g
sodium 400mg
Total carbs 29g
-Dietary fiber 2 g
-Sugars 15g
protein 3g
Calcium 4%
Iron 6%
Everything else is zero.

Damn. Now I gotta open this can and have it for breakfast...

Sourdough
06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
I was checking out the ingredients in Pilot bread and they're not great.

Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Whey, Leavening (sodium bicarbonate, monocalcium phosphate), Salt.

Now in a SHTF scenario, the ingredients are gonna be the least of your problems but if you eat it regularly, just be aware. This stuff isn't good for you.

Can't find yet what's in canned bread.

I have always found it shocking that 100% of the people who work in "Health Food" Stores look like they have been dead for about two weeks. Must be some sick criteria for employment.

canid
06-23-2011, 03:55 AM
SD: it's because the stuff is so expensive they can barely afford to eat :D

canid
06-23-2011, 04:05 AM
B: i'm not sure what the problem is with the thiamine mononitrate enrichment. thiamine and niacin are essential for human life and an intake at or above the RDA has been shown to help prevent multiple diseases.

and the milling of many flour removes much of the naturally occurring levels of these vitamins from the grain and the US requires enrichment with these for processed flour by law for this reason.

BENESSE
06-23-2011, 08:08 AM
B: i'm not sure what the problem is with the thiamine mononitrate enrichment. thiamine and niacin are essential for human life and an intake at or above the RDA has been shown to help prevent multiple diseases.

and the milling of many flour removes much of the naturally occurring levels of these vitamins from the grain and the US requires enrichment with these for processed flour by law for this reason.

That's why when the labels say "bleached, enriched flour" those breads contain refined carbs that you want to avoid. Look for whole grains that naturally contain fiber, vitamins and minerals whereas in refined breads the fiber is taken out and synthetic nutrients added back in.
Complex carbs keep your blood sugar steady and you feel fuller longer; refined carbs (junk food) cause highs and lows that often lead you to eat more sooner. I'd think in a survival situation that's exactly what I wouldn't want to happen nor could afford to happen.

LowKey
06-23-2011, 08:27 AM
I thought you might be taking offense at the word 'nitrate'...

You can't make the assumption of the presence of refined carbs based on the appearance of Bleached or Enriched Flour in the ingredients list on any given product.

BENESSE
06-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Actually, it's not an assumption LK, it's what it means.
I can provide references from gazillion sources for anyone who really cares.

BENESSE
06-23-2011, 08:41 AM
A really good article from a credible source explains the whole thing. There's even a diagram!
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whole-grains/NU00204

"Whole grains haven't had their bran and germ removed by milling, making them good sources of fiber — the part of plant-based foods that your body doesn't digest. Among many health benefits, high-fiber foods also tend to make you feel full longer.
Refined grains, such as white rice or white flour, have both the bran and germ removed from the grain. Although vitamins and minerals are added back into refined grains after the milling process, they still don't have as many nutrients as whole grains do, and they don't provide as much fiber naturally."

canid
06-23-2011, 08:54 AM
from a given grain we are looking at the very same carbohydrates, regardless of the processing of the bread. the difference is in those constituents the refined flour no longer has. here we seemed to be discussing those which have been added back to the flour in recognition that they are a dietary and health maintenance requirement, which is at least a useful measure of foresight.

we both know that whole grains are a better choice, but those are both considerably more costly (a sad irony; that it costs more to buy a product with less cost of production) and less common. for an example; let me know when you find a truly whole grain canned bread product, and then let me know if you can find it for less that $5 per can.

BENESSE
06-23-2011, 09:33 AM
How about buying whole grain in bulk and finding a way to make your own longer lasting bread product without all the additives? That's not such a tall order, is it?
It's been done by native people all over the world including right here.

canid
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I like that idea quite a lot B.

crashdive123
06-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Knowing how to make your own bread (in varied cooking conditions) is a good skill to have and one that will not only serve you well today, but during lean times as well.

LowKey
06-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Oops, sorry. My misinterpretation of what you meant by 'refined carbs'. For some reason I always think sugars, not flour/grain.

I made 100% whole wheat bread today for the first time. Bought the little bag of $4 organic whole wheat flour a few weeks ago but just got around to trying it. Gawd, it's awful tasting stuff. And I like whole wheat products. Not sure I could ever get used to this, even in a pinch. It rose ok both in the bowl and in the pans (which surprised the heck out of me) but flattened like a pancake in the oven. Looks like two rather large bricks—and about as tasty. Gonna be some expensive bird food. Looking around for a new recipe if anyone has one. This one started with scalded milk, water, butter, salt and yeast then used honey and molasses instead of sugar, and no white flour at all.

BENESSE
06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Looking around for a new recipe if anyone has one. This one started with scalded milk, water, butter, salt and yeast then used honey and molasses instead of sugar, and no white flour at all.

LK, I've made this bread 2 years ago and it was delicious. (Quinoa is a staple at our home and it's a wondergrain.) I like the fact that you don't need a mixer or a bread machine for it. The reason I don't make it more often is that we tend to polish it quickly while still warm, and calories are calories even when healthy.
I got the recipe here:
http://chefinyou.com/2010/04/quinoa-bread-recipe/

The only substitute I made was:
1/4 cup Soy milk (instead of real milk)
1/4 cup safflower oil (recipe calls for vegetable oil)
No sourdough starter (didn't have it, didn't want to look for it)
Added 1 tsp of sea salt

hunter63
06-23-2011, 08:05 PM
My very first post here was asking about making bread dough right in a flour sack....Using a bowl shaped indentation in the flour to mix it in.
Saw it in a recipe book written by Bradford Angier, I thought........Still haven't found it.

Rick
06-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Soy Milk!? Cough, sputter, choke, hack, spit! Whew. That's like soy bacon. Blasphemous. Cow=Milk. Pig=Bacon. Do not try to change what the Lord put together. That's like asking for a SHTF situation. I need to delete some posts in this thread just to get the world spinning correctly again.

Rick
06-23-2011, 08:15 PM
The other thing you can consider is Hard Tack. I've made quite a bit of it and it is just that. Not bad, though and not bad at all if soaked.

crashdive123
06-23-2011, 08:56 PM
My very first post here was asking about making bread dough right in a flour sack....Using a bowl shaped indentation in the flour to mix it in.
Saw it in a recipe book written by Bradford Angier, I thought........Still haven't found it.

H63 - Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it sounds close. TJ is a member here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tjwiltube#p/u/7/cG2LNK3YP38

LowKey
06-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks B.
Quinoa here is more expensive than organic wheat flour, by at least a factor of 2.
Makes me glad I'm not gluten intolerant!

hunter63
06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
H63 - Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it sounds close. TJ is a member here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tjwiltube#p/u/7/cG2LNK3YP38

Thanks,.......interesting.
That's the idea, but described in the old cook book was a slightly more of a raised type bread, with the salt, backing powder, and such....And how they kept it warm to raise.

I checked that book out of the library about 5 times, but when I went back it had been taken off the shelves.
My search has resulted in my purchase of several books By B.Angier and Col. Whelen, Old timey but still good......

I have not found the recipe as of yet, or the cook book that it was in..........And I checked out everyone in our library system, and purchased a bunch more on the interweb....used copies.....And most were discarded library copies!

BTW. I/we have done the mix the dry ingredients at home, carry to rendezvous in a cloth sack....then mix on site and bake in a DO.

hunter63
07-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Well, yesterday after a long wait.....My canned B&M bread is supposed to be 'batch made", the first case showed up.
I say first case as I only ordered one....Then DW says....Oh, they have that at the supermarket, was that what you were talking about?
Well, DUH........( I think she ignores me some times)

If was waiting for us when we returned home from the place.....and as I was unloading the truck....FEDX shows up with another case?????/
Called the people.....Lady says, "Well we were just having a conversation about that, here this morning."
Puts me on hold....then comes back on the line and says, "Merry Christmas, just keep it.... no charge"

So.... trying some out w/cream cheese for "brunch"....Kinda like it so far.

Rick
07-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Mmmmm. That molassesy creamy goodness. Mmmmm.