PDA

View Full Version : survival kit lists/Survivor's attitude!

Sarge47
01-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Okay everybody, please listen up, this is a "2 part" post!

1st: since every other "Newby" wants to either learn about what to put in a Survival kit, or list/show pics of their's why not just go to the Blog site and post your info like REMY, myself & Proud American have done? (True, Proud's list covers knives, but that's another popular Survival topic.) That way you don't clutter up the Forums/threads with multiple posts of the same topic yet get your list & pics out there where others can see & comment on them.

Next, Trax made a good point about "Attitude" being the "Main item" to any Survival kit, so post your thoughts on that here.:cool:

Assassin Pilot
01-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks, so now I'm a "newby" :p

Sarge47
01-30-2008, 08:31 AM
That's better than being a "Know-nothing Nimrod", or a "Numpty".:D

Beo
01-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Then what are forums for, why not just have blogs? And I know at one time... a long long time ago... in a galaxy far far away... you were a newbie once.

wareagle69
01-30-2008, 09:07 AM
attitude is the most important, essential part of your survival kit, i don't care how well trained you are if you think you are going to fail you will, when i was a bull rider you always kept your head focused on the bulls hump if you looked either way to the left or right that was the side you would buck off on the saying always was/is the body will follow the head if you qiut mentally i don't care if your tom brown or cody lundin or the infamous wareagle you will die, so step back and breathe evaluate your situation and make a plan. i always work better with a plan can't just walk into a building and start plumbing in the middle start with the basics and build from there.

always be prepared.

wareagle69
01-30-2008, 12:40 PM
noun 1- a feeling, emotion, or mental position esp with regard to a situation, topic, person, etc. pg 54 english dictionary penguin reference

trax
01-30-2008, 12:44 PM
I can't define attitude, but I know that if I'm in a catastrophic or emergency situation I'll do whatever I have to do to get out alive. In a similar thread Robert Rogers disagreed with me about looting and mentioned the thing about potentially becoming a target. He's right and it's not something I would relish doing, but I was talking about absolute necessity. There are several people here with military backgrounds, do you not go into battle because the guys on the other side might shoot, too? If I truly believe I have to do it, I will.

People have often brought up the subject about how far will we extend our hand to help others, and I've been one who's more than willing to help out...even strangers, but I'm no good to anyone except the crows, coyotes, and maggots if I'm already dead.

wareagle69
01-30-2008, 12:51 PM
funny thing about this it seems through all the role playing scenarios we have done here that we automatically assume every one is bad and trying to take our stuff maybe some ppl would see the benefit of haveing a group i know i would be supplied well enough and have enough knowledge about food gathering and preperation that i would be valuable to ppl and would use politics to try to secure my position and form a group to help defend against those that would be looking to take what i've got as half canadian i would try the peaceful way as half american if that doesn't work i will be in great shape from hiding all the bodies..

always be prepared

trax
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
When someone keeps propagating the theory that all of us Canuckistanians are these gentle, willing to compromise, friendly, non-violent types (he typed and then waded ankle deep through the effenescing puddle of victims' blood...)

Rick
01-30-2008, 01:23 PM
It's only a matter of time before WE fill the rest in. Oh, look over there. (quick, fill in the Maple leaf).

http://www.ourheritage.net/rant/US_Canada_Flag_1.jpg

zervosc
01-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I don't know how old are u and I don't know your skills. You may be something between Rambo and McGyver - you may be just an enthusiast of living in wilderness. Or maybe this is your sport.

But I really still cannot understand this discussion about "newbies". Are u telling us that newbies in survival forums, must not be afraid and be prepared for any emergency situation until they get their PhD in survival?

It seems to me that you are talking about equipment and skills that can be used in emergency situations during well planned outdoors activities - I am talking about having a small kit with 10 useful things that can help someone in his everyday life (paper, pencil, immodium tablets, handsaplast, blade..... etc) and another 5 that can help somebody in any unplanned difficult situation (candle, mathes, fishing line, fishing hooks, aluminium foil for morse signals...etc)......

And the other discussion about attitude......attitude in emergency situations is unuseful - I cannot understand your attitude too...

Christos - Athens - Greece

hermitman
01-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Easy there zervosc sarge knows what he is talking about. It's just that alot of people just come in and ask about survival kits without read whats already there and whats on the other parts of the site (not just forums). You can't be afriad because thats what kills people attitude is the biggest part of survival. Many people have survived with nothing and no knowlege just becuase they wanted to.

Beo
01-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Sarge I was joking, don't be madd I got ice cream:D

Sarge47
01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't know how old are u and I don't know your skills. You may be something between Rambo and McGyver - you may be just an enthusiast of living in wilderness. Or maybe this is your sport.

But I really still cannot understand this discussion about "newbies". Are u telling us that newbies in survival forums, must not be afraid and be prepared for any emergency situation until they get their PhD in survival?

It seems to me that you are talking about equipment and skills that can be used in emergency situations during well planned outdoors activities - I am talking about having a small kit with 10 useful things that can help someone in his everyday life (paper, pencil, immodium tablets, handsaplast, blade..... etc) and another 5 that can help somebody in any unplanned difficult situation (candle, mathes, fishing line, fishing hooks, aluminium foil for morse signals...etc)......

And the other discussion about attitude......attitude in emergency situations is unuseful - I cannot understand your attitude too...

Christos - Athens - Greece

1st of all a "Newby" is a reference to someone either new to this forum and/or the world of Survival. Next, your posts have been covering the same topic that's been done to death elsewhere on this site. 3rd, your statement regarding the "unusefulness" of attitude in emergency situations shows that you don't know much about Survival at all. The right attitude has saved more lives than the best prepared Survival kit ever has. If you lose your kit in a Survival situation what are you going to do? Please be careful, you're starting to move yourself over to the "Numpty" category.:cool:

Tony uk
01-30-2008, 07:58 PM
1st of all a "Newby" is a reference to someone either new to this forum and/or the world of Survival. Next, your posts have been covering the same topic that's been done to death elsewhere on this site. 3rd, your statement regarding the "unusefulness" of attitude in emergency situations shows that you don't know much about Survival at all. The right attitude has saved more lives than the best prepared Survival kit ever has. If you lose your kit in a Survival situation what are you going to do? Please be careful, you're starting to move yourself over to the "Numpty" category.:cool:

Yay i wont be lonely anymore :D

Rick
01-30-2008, 08:32 PM
I agree with you. Not only not be governed by feelings and emotions but govern those feelings and emotions. No one can make you angry or sad or any emotion. You can only allow yourself to become angry or sad, etc. They are your emotions and only if you give up responsibility for them can they govern you.

crashdive123
01-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I agree with you. Not only not be governed by feelings and emotions but govern those feelings and emotions. No one can make you angry or sad or any emotion. You can only allow yourself to become angry or sad, etc. They are your emotions and only if you give up responsibility for them can they govern you.

WOW! Kind of a Dr. Laura moment.:D

Rick
01-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Phil, dam**t! Dr. Phil. I am so tired of people referring to me as a woman!

Rick
01-30-2008, 08:45 PM
As long as you must try and govern...

You interjected the word "try" implying a lack of success at governing. If you own your emotions, if you take responsibility for them then you have transcended "trying". No?

Sam
01-31-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't know what word to use, I just do not wanna die.

Tony uk
01-31-2008, 12:33 PM

Avoid deep fryed haggis with a fryed marsbar one after the other

Scottish version of a cynide pill

trax
01-31-2008, 12:40 PM

well done Sam, brevity is the soul of eloquence.

trax
01-31-2008, 12:46 PM
And the other discussion about attitude......attitude in emergency situations is unuseful - I cannot understand your attitude too...Christos - Athens - Greece

Oh it's zervo....for a few seconds there I thought it was zero...hey I still do! Somehow, the challenge of surviving in a country that has one of the best year round climates in the world and probably hasn't had any wild predators roaming around for the last 1000 years or so doesn't seem like all that big a deal to me to begin with, but I could be wrong.

So, zervo, if you're suddenly hit by an earthquake and a big ol' wave comes rolling in from the ocean, do you sit there and say...someone else will look after it? Nope, you don't (or well...I don't, maybe you do) but see.....see where we're going here?

And, I should add....you may notice that I mouth off and kid around with people a lot on here, mostly folks know I'm joking and I almost never make personal attacks ..buuuut, if I think someone else is making personal attacks, the gloves come off there punkin, Sarge is my friend. Got anything in your ten item pack for that?

crashdive123
01-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Well said Trax

trax
01-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Thank you crashdive

zervosc
01-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Trax,

I really respect the hundreds of lines written for my metal box (with the 24 items......).

It seems to me that my survival kit is not so small as it looks like.....

trax
01-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Trax,
It seems to me that my survival kit is not so small as it looks like.....

Maybe you should have included a pair of bifocals...kidding...

Tony uk
01-31-2008, 05:46 PM
I like to sum up attitude/ psycology or survival in a few words

Good attitude + Kit = Chance

Good attitude - No Kit = Chance

Bad attitude - Kit = No chance

Rick
01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Zervosc - You asked for opinions so don't get you feathers ruffled when you receive them. Just accepting the input and make changes if you want or not.

Rick
01-31-2008, 05:49 PM
No wonder I can't pick up women. Bad attitude and no kit. Dang!

trax
01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
I like to sum up attitude/ psycology or survival in a few words

Good attitude + Kit = Chance

Good attitude - No Kit = Chance

Bad attitude - Kit = No chance

Oh my God, Tony! That makes bloody good sense. You keep that up and I'm going to have to stop picking on you!! (Of course, even a broken clock is right twice a day, so.....:rolleyes:)

Tony uk
01-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Oh my God, Tony! That makes bloody good sense. You keep that up and I'm going to have to stop picking on you!! (Of course, even a broken clock is right twice a day, so.....:rolleyes:)

YAY no more bullying of the little scottish person :D

What time(s) of the day is a broken clock right ? :p

trax
01-31-2008, 06:00 PM

Could be the frocks too, Rick...I'm not sayin'...but maybe...

nell67
01-31-2008, 06:01 PM
That seriously sounds like a personal problem Rick,I am so sorry And Trax is right,the frocks dont help!

trax
01-31-2008, 06:02 PM
YAY no more bullying of the little scottish person :D

What time(s) of the day is a broken clock right ? :p

Here's a wee experiment for ye! Set yer bonnie wee ...whatever... down wi' a clock that works and a clock that doesn't and come back to us when y've an answer...

Tony uk
01-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Here's a wee experiment for ye! Set yer bonnie wee ...whatever... down wi' a clock that works and a clock that doesn't and come back to us when y've an answer...

Cotcha. This might take a wee while

corndog-44
01-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Attitude is certainly number one. It is undoubtedly the most important ingredient of survival. With the proper attitude almost anything is possible. If a person doesn't have this attitude, how then can this person develop the survival attitude? To make it through the worst a strong will or determination to live is needed. A powerful desire to continue living is a must. The mind has the power to will the body to extraordinary feats. Records have shown that will alone has often been the major factor for surviving wilderness emergencies. Without the will to live survival is impossible. Survival is possible in most situations but it demands a lot of a person. Humans can be very brave and resourceful when in emergency situations. The mind is a very powerful force. It has control of the body, its actions, and its reasoning. What affects you mentally affects you physically. If you think that you can't survive, then you won't try to survive. A commitment to live, refusal to give up, and positive mental attitude greatly increase chances for survival.

Rick
01-31-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't think it even has to be a positive attitude. Just the attitude that you are not going to die. I've talked to a lot of WWII POWs that survived for one reason. They were not going to let the SOBs beat 'em. That's not a positive attitude but it is the attitude of a survivor.

I think you are right on the money, Corndog, I just think a better description might be a survivor's attitude. It's just a matter of semantics, however. We are both describing the same mindset.

Sarge47
01-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Listen up "Z", I'm not trying to "Diss" ya, just teach ya, Okay? Your pics will soon be buried in the archives; posting to either, or both, the Blog site and/or The new Wiki will make them available to anyone who wants to view them. Also you get to write down your thoughts and lists as well. It's a really good suggestion. REMY has posted some great stuff there, as well as others. Oh, BTW, here's some background on me:

How tough am I?

I've been married....twice, but not at the same time of course.

I've been "dissed" by Ranger Rick.:eek:

I've killed "Heathen Chinee Spambots.":mad:

I'm 60 years old and I survived the 60's.

I've been an Assistant Scoutmaster and think the Boy Scouts are "All That"!:rolleyes:

The Military didn't want me because I can't hear too good.

I look like Alan Alda but talk like John Wayne; Nature has a mean sense of humor.

Hope that answers some of your questions.:D

tracks
01-31-2008, 10:09 PM
BLA BLAA BLA . SARGE ,RICK ,BEO,CRASH This is what I thought this site was about step up give of you'r self where are you at REMY words of wisdom are wasted on the knowledged RICK the quiet in the storm get it ,...anticdote or antidote ?? age is a metafore for knowledge... step up....

Rick
01-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Okay. Let me guess. You don't inhale do you?

Tony uk
02-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Marryed TWICE Sarge :eek:

I guess your no stranger to pain

Sarge47
02-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Yep, Tony, married twice; and to show just how tough I am I just remembered two things that Make me out even tougher!

I eat Mushrooms!

I drink from a Nalgene bottle!

(Tough guy voice) Don' mess with me!:D

trax
02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Actually, he got the mushrooms from me, which explains the second marriage. He accidently forgot about the first one and kinda just wandered off.....hey there's Nora Squirrel again..Hi Nora! Where was I? oh yeah, Sarge is tough, don't mess with him.

Tony uk
02-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Yep, Tony, married twice; and to show just how tough I am I just remembered two things that Make me out even tougher!

I eat Mushrooms!

I drink from a Nalgene bottle!

(Tough guy voice) Don' mess with me!:D

I eat haggis, blood pudding, fryed marsbar and a glass of bru with plenty ice in the same day !

Im pritty sure a nuke wouldnt bother me to much, Heat Pifffttt i aint got time to feel heat, Blast Pifftttt stupid blast thinkin it can take me on, radiation piffftttt it to afraid of me to come close

wareagle69
02-01-2008, 08:09 PM
ppiffft? is that the sound of you melting?

trax
02-01-2008, 08:12 PM

See, I was just going to laugh at that (although I think he suffered melt-down sometime ago possibly) and then I remembered that you hurt my feeling (it's true I just have the one) with your disparaging comment about Manitobans based on two go-tards in Thompson....

Tony uk
02-01-2008, 08:19 PM

Nope, that is the sound of other people melting beside me. Im in a line (or was) for the bathroom you see and now it all mine :D

wareagle69
02-01-2008, 08:30 PM
sorry bro but i'm a plumber so i get platnum access to the crapper mister.you'll just have to wait

Tony uk
02-01-2008, 09:08 PM
sorry bro but i'm a plumber so i get platnum access to the crapper mister.you'll just have to wait

Your dead tho

Your vapurised agessss ago

trax
02-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Man, that is a powerful, powerful story and thank you for sharing it with us. I would have to say that ...once again I'm guilty of assumption, when I refer to that attitude, I was referring more to someone in a wilderness situation who has more time to assess their predicament than you had in that situation. Nevertheless, where our considerations go separate ways is that I don't care where the "attitude" or if one wants a different name for it feel free, comes from, just that it is there when I need it.

crashdive123
02-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks remy. Call it attitude or will. I think Sam said it well when he said I don't want to die.

Rick
02-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Remy - The accident was highly publicized. Here is a wiki article on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Palo_Verde_derailment

Sam
02-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Remy, I said I don't wanna die. In service to my country I have been wounded 4 times.
(that's why I can't play no more) In my experience I was on auto pilot, like you, i.e. crawl to cover, reload, what have you. In the back of my small mind I was 'feeling, thinking' this
because it was not certain. I do not like to lose, I have seen guys get hit as bad and get help as soon as I did, up and die. Don't understand it. The doc's at the VA say I'm stubborn. I can't see it tho. ;)

NorthWindTrails
02-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Just a thought ... I agree that "one" definition of "attitude" happens to be the more well-used understanding of the term (that of an emotion or a feeling). BUT ... as a pilot, I see another side to all of this that may apply here. "Attitude" can also refer to the direction of your aircraft in relation to another fixed point (i.e.; the surface of the Earth beneath you). There is "roll", "pitch" and "yaw" to be considered (none of which are germane to this discussion). In a survival scenario, my "attitude" could be considered the course I choose to take in relation to my surroundings. Just as a pilot needs "situational awareness", so too must the survivor. What do I actually have with me to use? What immediate danger(s) do I face (if any)? Food/water/first aid/etc.? I agree that "attitude" when used as an emotional response must be tempered with "attitude" as a recognition of my true situation, and what I plan to do about surviving it. I hope this makes sense. NorthWind