PDA

View Full Version : SC Gator Hunt

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-14-2011, 10:08 PM
3 yrs ago SC opened a draw hunt for gators. I applied the first year and did not get selected. Last year I missed the deadline. This year I just got done with my online application. We get preference points for consecutive years. I blew that. Wish me luck, I applied again this year! It'll be big...oh, yeah it'll be real big!

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN3432.jpg

hunter63
06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Good for you....Now the question....What are you gonna hunt them with?....Hook an bait?......Open water shooting 'em?
What are the rules in SC?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-15-2011, 06:29 PM
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/alligator/drawhunt.html

Alligators must be secured and brought to shore or alongside boat before dispatch. No shooting of free swimming or basking alligators is allowed in this program. No rifles are allowed, but handguns and bangsticks are permitted for dispatch. No bait, baited hooks, set hooks, or pole hunting is allowed (see regulations for more information about methods).

Here is a link to the rules. Bear Whitetail Master 70lb. draw (may need to turn it down a bit) 500lb. test line, roller rest, Fiberglass arrow shafts, Very large rip hooks on handlines. So far no takers to go along with me...... I still need to study up some more on the methods allowed. I'll post pics of the gear as I get it assembled. Bow is setup for hunting deer right now. I am looking for something to use for handline and yes I am considering 550 cord any suggestions for cord?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/alligator/pdf/2011gatorguide.pdf

Just found this couldn't find it last night, it covers methods, haven't read it yet.

hunter63
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
That's a pretty cool outline of methods rules and even shipping hides........
But:
SPECIAL NOTE: The $200 Nonresident Alligator Hunting Fee
applies to ALL permitted nonresident hunters and ALL non-resident
hunting assistants 16 years of age or older.

Looks like they want some bucks to even assist, LOL

So you are planning on using a bow?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-15-2011, 10:01 PM
That's a pretty cool outline of methods rules and even shipping hides........
But:
SPECIAL NOTE: The $200 Nonresident Alligator Hunting Fee
applies to ALL permitted nonresident hunters and ALL non-resident
hunting assistants 16 years of age or older.

Looks like they want some bucks to even assist, LOL

So you are planning on using a bow?

I will have the bow setup...Knowing what it takes it'll probably be second to a shark rod with a rip hook...it all depends on the stuation and timing. I will have most if not all methods in my boat.

glockcop
06-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Man, that kinda sucks that you cant's use a baited hook to hunt them gators. I've found that to be the most productive method. Just hang an old piece of chicken about 20 inches above the mid tide water mark near the bank and that's it.

Hunter63, you definately don't want to shoot a cruising gator in open water. They'll sink like a Led Zepplin never to be seen again. Only if they would float :). I suppose that if you did shoot one in this fashion you could grab it with a long gaft pole if you were lucky enough to locate it but that doen't sound like fun at all.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Guess SC thinks it is more sportsman to do it this way. Honestly I think it is a good thing it isn't done that way here. We don't have no where near the bayou or gator population LA has. Still waiting to see if I get drawn...

Rick
06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Hunter63, you definately don't want to shoot a cruising gator in open water. They'll sink like a Led Zepplin never to be seen again. Only if they would float :). I suppose that if you did shoot one in this fashion you could grab it with a long gaft pole if you were lucky enough to locate it but that doen't sound like fun at all.

If I were to ever acquire gator tags I'd mount a small weapon in the bow of the boat.

http://pcf45.com/boat_tour/fantail.jpg

hunter63
06-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Naw, I watch "Swamp People", both seasons now....so I know how it's done, I mean how hard could it be....I mean they are using .22's.........amd all.....

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Naw, I watch "Swamp People", both seasons now....so I know how it's done, I mean how hard could it be....I mean they are using .22's.........amd all.....

In SC it is recomended a large caliber is used. I am planning to use a bow for the kill shot.