PDA

View Full Version : Tools that earn their keep

Alaskan Survivalist
06-13-2011, 06:10 AM
Some tools are more useful than others and thought it might be interesting to compare. A couple I like are this lazer torpedo level and die grinder.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_2032.jpg

I layout all my jobs with the lazer and it stays in my nail bag. I use the die grinder daily. Cut off wheels will saw through metal and shape it too. I often build up worn parts with weld and grind them back to original specs with the die grinder. Stones and sanding disks help with sharpening tasks. Wire brushes are great for cleaning threads, removing old gaskets, cleaning battery and ground connections, etc. I have an assortment of router bits for shaping wood or even aluminium.

What are some of your favorite tools.

JPGreco
06-13-2011, 12:24 PM
sawzall and framing hammer

shiftyer1
06-13-2011, 01:08 PM
I seem to find new uses for a dremel everyday.

kyratshooter
06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Cordless drills are now an indespensible part of my tool kit. I keep a good one in use and a cheap one as backup.

I also find more and more jobs for my reciprocating saw. I was making a trailer a while back and sawed a pickup truck in half in less than a minute. It cut through the frame rails like hot butter.

hunter63
06-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Tape measure and SAK, both in my pocket all the time, and used daily, the type of tools that you really miss if you don't carry them.

finallyME
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Excel, and SolidWorks. :)

My cordless drill is probably used the most out of all the tools I have at home.

pete lynch
06-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Tape measure
carpenters pencil
20 oz hammer
utility knife
6-in-1 screwdriver

Camp10
06-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Pole Gin, climbers, running blocks, coffing hoist, handlines, blocklines, shotgun stick...

BH51
06-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Cordless drill, come'a-long, pliers and most importantly, "a roll of bailing wire".............BH51...

aflineman
06-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Pole Gin, climbers, running blocks, coffing hoist, handlines, blocklines, shotgun stick...

I used to love the little Klein peanut blocks. The perfect thing for stringing secondary.

Now my everyday tools would be: My Klein 9" Lineman's, 10-in-one, channel locks, crescent wrench, screw starter, fluke clamp-on, and the shotgun for grounds.

Alaskan Survivalist
06-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I screw starter with magnet stayed in my pocket all the time when I worked as a mechanic. Very handy little tool.

Nutman
06-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I seem to use my leatherman multi tool lots and any cordless tool is always handy

crashdive123
06-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Lately - 2" X 72" belt sander, angle grinder, drill press, files, buffer.

Camp10
06-19-2011, 07:40 PM
I used to love the little Klein peanut blocks. The perfect thing for stringing secondary.

Now my everyday tools would be: My Klein 9" Lineman's, 10-in-one, channel locks, crescent wrench, screw starter, fluke clamp-on, and the shotgun for grounds.

We call the Klein blocks "bucket blocks" because they live in the bucket! They are a great tool! If the groundman sets you out to close, you can hold off with them and adjust the strap jacks. We still have lots of 4 and 6 solid up here and they are tool enough to put it back together doing storm work.

The 9" are a staple, 10-in-one must go by a different name here...the channel locks are "candy grabbers" up here and the dogbone is another tool that goes up almost every pole with me both in the bucket and in the hooks.

Rick
06-19-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm not familiar with the 10in1 either. Are you talking about a lineman's wrench? I've head them referred to as 5in1s before.

http://img3.prosperent.com/images/250x250/www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/1/klein_3146A.jpg

(Maybe he uses two of them 5in1X2=10in1?)

Camp10
06-19-2011, 07:51 PM
That was my first thought to Rick...that's just called a Klein or lineman's Wrench here..

Rick
06-19-2011, 08:04 PM
I'd gladly take a nickel for every through bolt I've used that on or every thimble eye bolt for a down guy or truss bolt or...shoot, just take your pick.

Camp10
06-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I'd gladly take a nickel for every through bolt I've used that on or every thimble eye bolt for a down guy or truss bolt or...shoot, just take your pick.

I think us wire monkeys could start a thread and run it out 100 posts without anyone else know what we were talking about! Thimble eye is a hub eye here but we can only use them for aerials. Down guys need a rams head! Course, if your guy wire isnt long enough, you can just use a pickle and add more!

Rick
06-19-2011, 11:24 PM
You bet. I'd guess there are a few baloney benders on here and they wouldn't be the least bit afraid of a diaper. They'd never use a J hook for a house knob, though. A Narrow Back might do that but you'd never catch them using pig livers. Either one might use a two pounder, however. Only one of 'em would use a U-bangi and we'll let folks figure out which one.

crashdive123
06-20-2011, 06:57 AM
I love it when you guys talk dirty.

canid
06-20-2011, 07:42 AM
this is hilarious.

i couldn't get by without my disk sander, bench grinder or coping saw. of course; being pretty limited on tools, and even more-so on tool i have in servivable shape at a given time, i have to put many of them to jobs they were never meant for. bad form, but heck; you learn how to improvise. last year i had to fabricate a pistol ejector with a hand drill and a mill file from scrap stock.

i would give my left leg for a good used drill press with no appreciable slop.

MaineBear
06-28-2011, 10:02 PM
I would suppose it all depends on the job, but I like (in no particular order) ....

2" Barr Quarton framing chisel with wooden maul
Single bit Michigan axe
Gransfors Broad axe
T-handle auger with 1" and 1.5" bits (I have some antique bits and handles, have not found a modern manufacturer with good quality - please suggest)
1851 Colt Navy revolver (I customize the Uberti reproduction with new springs and slicked action)
.54 caliber Hawken rifle from The Hawken Shop - Horribly expensive, but the quality of the locks are impeccable and you can customize your kit
Schrade Bowie with micarta handle (great knife, sheath is crap - you will want to replace it right off)

I included manufactures and model where I could, as not all products have the same quality. Everything on this list has served me well over the years. Yes, yes, yes, black powder is SO passe; but it's fun as hell to shoot and I like the challenge and the question was "what are some of your favorite tools", not "what's the practical stuff you need to have at hand."

Maine Bear

PS - Hey, it's my first post! Spank the n00b!

JPGreco
06-29-2011, 12:03 AM
I was watching a show on tv today and they found a viking tool box with metal and wood working tools in it. Almost all the tools inside it were still in use today and most were identical or negligibly different from their modern counterparts. The only difference really is modern are made with varying metals, while the old ones were cast iron with carbon steel hammer welded on to the ends.

I'd say those tools more than earned their keep.

aflineman
06-29-2011, 01:37 AM
The 10 in one is a Klein screwdriver that has a bunch of bits in it.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=klein+10+in+1+screwdriver&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13792828973953854620&sa=X&ei=JR0NTpeHDMnniAK3mNDQDQ&ved=0CCYQ8gIwAQ

Dang I really miss linework. Busted myself up to bad for that now. I am allowed to call myself a Dam Electrician though, on account of I am an electrician who works on a hydro project. :D

Camp10
06-29-2011, 05:54 AM
I will post more when I get to the home computer and not my phone.
The 10 in one is a Klein screwdriver that has a bunch of bits in it.
Dang I really miss linework. Busted myself up to bad for that now. I am allowed to call myself a Dam Electrician though, on account of I am an electrician who works on a hydro project. :D

I've been waiting for you to answer! lol! Dam electricians take so long to get back to linemen...

Canadian-guerilla
06-29-2011, 10:27 AM
any non electrical tool more than 50 years old will always catch my eye at a yard sale, etc

any/all hand tools made in the USA back in the day WERE MADE TO LAST

aflineman
06-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I've been waiting for you to answer! lol! Dam electricians take so long to get back to linemen...

Well, some of us have to produce it, so it can be distributed. And that takes time away from here. :D

Riverrat
06-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Tools for me...this time of year it is garden tools (hoe, rake, and tiller), in the winter it is woodworking tools (hand plane's, saws. hand drills, etc.). Most are small hand tools, but do have a few electric as well.

edr730
06-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Yankee screwdriver with modern bit holder. Buggy spring that is sharpened on one end and used as a pry bar.

aflineman
06-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Yankee screwdriver with modern bit holder. Buggy spring that is sharpened on one end and used as a pry bar.

I still use my Yankee drill quite a lot. To bad it is getting so hard to find twist bits for it.

edr730
07-01-2011, 07:54 AM
I rigged my yankee screwdriver with a modern hex magnetic bit holder and I only needed a hand grinder and file to do it. It was easy enough. It fits in my box and it's faster than walking to the truck or building for a cordless if I only have a few screws. I have put hex head drill bits in it, but it's not worth the effort for more than a couple of holes. The drill you speak of is made for the job and could be a small handy tool that could fit in a tool box. I've never seen one except on television once. They must me older than the screwdriver. In many instances, a job can be done faster with a hand tool than a modern one.

NightShade
07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
My most indispensable tools are all my plumbing tools... hey, its how I make a living!
But, I also use a rake around the house, and love my chainsaw, axe, and bolt cutters!!!

sjhopkins
08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
I love my c-clamps and my cordless drill. Also, not so much a tool, but find a million uses for wooden shims on many projects.

Northern Horseman
02-21-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm a big fan of cordless tools, all mine are the same make so the batteries are interchangeable, I usually wait to by batteries till after Christmas when they start to clear out the old stock. Currently I have a rotozip knock off, reciprocating saw, two sizes of drills, circular saw, 10 inch chop saw, 4.5 inch angle grinder and several flashlights and 3 one hour chargers and about seven batteries.
The chop saw came in very handy when I built my wife a portable three stall barn and tack room, set it up about a km from power, the wifes job was to keep replacing batteries.