PDA

View Full Version : Swamp People....

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-08-2011, 08:26 PM
I did a search and didn't find anything on the show. As you know I live in a swamp with plenty of gators. It isn't legal to hunt them as Troy does here. For me I sure learned alot about how it could be done. I couldn't get over putting them to sleep with a .22 for the most part. I am late to report for sure as cable left here over 2 yrs. ago. Let's see 200 gators is at least worth 40k a year according to the show. That is 200$ per gator...it costs me about that much to go fishin for a day. Interesting this is a way of making income....They fish 30 days That is 6k to go for the 30 days. 34K ain't bad for doing something you love!....and I do love the swamp. I guess I enjoyed the show! Anyone else watch?

Highhawk1948
06-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Yes, wish we could hunt them like that in Florida. We wouldn't have so much problem with them.

Canadian-guerilla
06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
i watch this show
and even though i don't think i'll much problems with gators up here in Canada
always looking for new info/hints for hunting, etc

preachtheWORD
06-09-2011, 10:20 AM
The two brothers, Glenn and Mitchell, look and act like some people who live in my neck of the woods!

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Picture-32-490x310.png?ggnoads

These guys could easily be from Dugspur, VA (about 10 min from my house). It's almost scary. If you wait around at a local gas station for about a half an hour, some of their long lost mountain cousins will show up. Seriously.

I knew a guy named Everett who could be the third brother, at least in appearance. He only came to the store every week or maybe every couple of weeks, and then mostly to get beer and cigarettes.

hunter63
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
i watch this show
and even though i don't think i'll much problems with gators up here in Canada
always looking for new info/hints for hunting, etc

LOL, LOL......I know what you mean, only one around Wisconsin is the fake 'gator head" in the drainage and storage pond next to car dealership, I supposed to keep ducks out?
Well, they sit on it anyway.

DD and SIL live in Louisana, spent some time there, so we have been watching it pretty regular.
I enjoy it a whole lot more than Dancing With the Wantabees........

shooter_250
06-13-2011, 02:07 AM
I'll tell y'all the truth, I live just a few miles from most of those areas...around here (wavelan/Bay St.Louis, Mississippi) you can see a gator most anywhere close to water... Put your boat in at any of the public areas just prior to daylight, shine your light around,,,always, always...10 to 25 sets of eyes and that's just around the ramp..these are the salt/brackish water gators...

Funny thing tho...never saw a single gator or snake during or after hurricane katrina...probably smarter than us people folks and amscrayed...

Gators are there and they are very intrusive in some areas,,,or perhaps I should say, we intruded on them. People collect and sell driftwood seashells and such, they also catch and sell crabs, crawfish and even stingrays...traps can run from 10 to a 100 or so dollars each and it don't take long for it to get expensive when a gator tears them up and interfers with a fellows living...I haven't even mentioned over popoulation of gators...

The liscensing became a need to thing more so than a privelegde...I haven't figured out that sweet spot for taking a gator out either, but it would be good to know..

I hope my ramblins haven't thrown y'all off...probably caused more questions than I answered,,if I even answered any...

God Bless

Lee

sushidog
06-13-2011, 09:44 PM
I live in Louisiana and watch the show occasionally. In fact, Troy and I are kin on my mom's side - (same last name even.) I've swam with gators many times, but never hunted them. Not that I wouldn't, just never had the opportunity. They're really docile - unless you get between a momma and her nest. They take small animals, duck, dogs and will occasionally try to take a child, so you have to be careful where you let them swim or ski. Unlike crocs, they are no threat to an adult. Hunting them sounds fun though. As Lee says, they're plentiful around here, so taking a few is a good thing. There's a gator farm not far from my house with a funny name - instagator. My family has always made their living in the seafood business, I've just never fooled with gators at all. I do love a good gator sauce picante though.

Chip

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2011, 09:57 PM
SC just started a draw hunt 2 years ago. I really want to be selected. Though the hunting methods differ greatly.