PDA

View Full Version : Help with a gorge hook

flatlander88
06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
I was out this last weekend trying my "skills" with a line and a wooden gorge hook. I was using snake meat as bait and had the bait tied between the line the the hook. It didn't take long and I was getting bite after bite but nothing would swallow the hook.

I figured a bullhead would be an "easy" fish to catch this way but it seemed they were just coming up and nibbling the bait off of the hook.

Any advice that would help for my next attempt?

Thanks
Flatlander

Some info.

the hook was made from a locust tree and was only about a 1/2" long
I used regular bank line string from Wal Mart
Snake as bait
The bait was tied up with some grass

tuxdad
06-11-2011, 08:07 AM
With the couple of times 've tried it, I've always put the gorge inside the bait, no tie it to the gorge... Hope it helps you Bud !!

SARKY
06-13-2011, 12:54 AM
What I do is fold the gorge up so that the line runs from the center point past one point or the other. Then I jam the bait onto the lowest pointy end and run it up until it holds the gorge in line with the line. when the fish swallows the bait and starts digesting it the gorge will free up and lodge in the throat of the fish.

flatlander88
06-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the help. I hope to get out this weekend again and try some of the advice.

Sarky - so you tie the hook parallel with the line, then slide your bait over the hook and the line itself?

Sam
06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
I think what Sarky is saying is to hold the gorge and the line together, the bait will hid the gorge hook until the fish bites. If you look at the SAS guide it has a drawing of the method. I hope this helps.
-Sam

flatlander88
06-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Ok, I'll get it a try.

Thanks