PDA

View Full Version : Help with first legit BOB.

studderingdave
06-07-2011, 06:35 PM
I have had a few casual ones over the years. Since we get heavy snow in the NE i always had one in my car with spare clothes and stuff if i got stranded. But now i want to build a legit bug out bag. let me preface this by saying i have 8 years military under my belt (USMC) so i have a few preferences.

I have an alice pack. I like the alice pack a lot, so that will be the base for my bag. I also have a sleeping bag system and ISO mat that i got before i got out of the Marines. I am just looking for some general advice on what else to pack. I get the spare clothes, dry sacks for valuables that shouldnt get wet, and food and water (I have MREs and such for that) but what else?

thoughts?

hunter63
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Where are you bugging out from?.......city? rural?
What are you bugging out from?......Storms, fire, other natural disasters......nuke attack, civil unrest, invasion,?
Where are you bugging out to....BOL, wilderness, family property?
What are you bugging out in?....Walk/run, vehicle .....type car, truck, trailer, motorcycle, bicycle, boat, canoe, other?
How many are bugging out?....You, family, extended family.
How long are you going to be bugging out for?

Do have an idea what you are going to need for each season?

These questions will help you decide what you are gonna need, beside your preferences....which I'm taking to mean assets of some sort

Alaskan Survivalist
06-07-2011, 09:36 PM
If we have the same concept of heavy snow, snow shoes should be considered. If you wish to stay with military gear get the grey ones made by MSR. I have 500 dollar skis made in Finland that are the newer US Army ski I bought surplus for 25 dollars. I have the insulated part of the new clothing system that is mountaineering material I could not afford were it not Army surplus. I have some Military gear that is 100 years old just because they have not come up with anything better. Would military gear suggestions of any country or era be inline with the answer you are requesting? Have you ever used an old Army wood packboard?