PDA

View Full Version : Does any one have a plan to build a chimney oven!

cabingirl
01-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi,
I am wanting to know where I can buy a cheap chimney oven. It fits in a wood heater stove pipe, you can bake in the chimney oven. Also, if any one has plans to the building of one I would love to hear about it. I have always wanted a chimney oven.
I am trying to get a remote cabin set up for survival if the economy turns worse and there are no jobs. Any one that can send me any ideas! I would love to hear
Thanks,
cabingirl:)

Rick
01-29-2008, 04:09 PM
You might try these guys.

http://montanaoutfittersupply.com/catalog/i35.html

trax
01-29-2008, 04:42 PM
I've never heard of such a creation before...tell me more.

Sourdough
01-29-2008, 04:51 PM
The Sportsmans Warehouse sells them also. And Cabela's has them in their catalog. Most wall tent manufactures sell them too.

Rick
01-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Ummm. Well, Trax. The chimney oven has a chimney...well....through the oven. Sort of a....chimney oven. Stop your blasted working and click on some links. Crimeny!

Sourdough
01-29-2008, 05:15 PM
You can build large ones using a 55 gal. or 30 gal. barrel. It is just like a stack robber, only the stove pipe runs through, not into and out of, like a stack robber.

trax
01-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks for clearing that up hopeak, shut up Rick, now...what the **** is a stack robber?

Rick? you wanna field that one? You did so well with the chimney oven. I'm guessing that the bypass thingie it picks up the heat from the chimney and smoke goes through the bypass by the way

Rick
01-29-2008, 07:01 PM
For God's sake man don't click on the link above whatever you do. The picture would never explain what it's about. Free Traxistan, huh? Lord and ruler, right?

trax
01-29-2008, 07:10 PM
For God's sake man don't click on the link above whatever you do. The picture would never explain what it's about. Free Traxistan, huh? Lord and ruler, right?

I'll have my pygmies check those things for me, you'll see oh yes, you'll all see!! muhahahahah!

nell67
01-29-2008, 07:11 PM

Whats wrong with Lord and Ruler??

Sourdough
01-29-2008, 07:14 PM
A stack robber......Well the whole stack gives off heat. Single wall giving the most, then your doubble wall giving less. and your metealbestious giving little heat transfer.

Some stack robbers have fans, some have finns or louvers to conduct heat. And some are a second large smoke chamber, which slows the smoke from rapid exit so more heat can be extracted, robbed.

Some people put rocks in a second 55 gal. drum above the barrel stove and run the stack in one end and out the side of the stack robber.

Cabela's sells a stack robber for $44.99 Yankee.

Sourdough
01-29-2008, 07:31 PM
You can also bake in the fire box. It is tricky with just aluminum foil but can be done. It works easy to bake in the fire box with a Dutch Oven, (a large castiron pot, and lid). The best is Aluminumfoil inside the Dutch oven.

NorthWindTrails
01-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Rick ... Thanks for the link! They also have some nice looking wall tents in there. Looks like cabingirl won't exactly get a "cheap" chimney oven there, but the one these fellows sell looks top-notch. Good info! NorthWind

Rick
01-30-2008, 09:09 AM
It was one of the cheapest I found. Many sell in the 300+ range.

trax
01-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks hopeak...see Rick? A basic command of the English language and a little willilngness to help.....is that so much to ask, surferboy? :D :D :D

Rick
01-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Check please.

cabingirl
02-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Thank you every one for the information on the chimney oven. I will check this out.
Cabingirl

trax
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Thank you every one for the information on the chimney oven. I will check this out.
Cabingirl

Glad I could be so helpful:D :D :D, pretty much had to beat the information out of Twink...Rick. Where you building this cabin by the way? or is it a secret?

cabingirl
02-01-2008, 08:50 PM
The cabin is already built, and yes, it is a secret, I will say this much, it is joining a national forrest on two sides.
Cabingirl

trax
02-01-2008, 09:03 PM
well maybe you can post something on the construction some time...might be helpful for those learning such stuff, without revealing any deeply guarded secrets of course. I think that's great by the way, that you have the cabin.:)

nell67
02-04-2008, 06:52 PM
well maybe you can post something on the construction some time... .:)

or maybe not....

trax
02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah, apparently...and there's another possible sub-forum Chris!

Rick
02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
1 down, 4 to go. Kitty Carlile, the cabin is between two forests. Next question.

Is it near a major river?

trax
02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
1 down, 4 to go. Kitty Carlile, the cabin is between two forests. Next question.

Is it near a major river?

and that says what, exactly, about the construction thereof ? Because when I read back,that does seem to be the twice mentioned question....thanks for all your help though.

Rick
02-04-2008, 08:05 PM
No you old duffus. Remember "What's My Line"? Kitty Carlisle, Is it animal vegetable or mineral? (head slap). Jeeese!

trax
02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Must be before my time, sorry oldtimer

crashdive123
02-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey ... careful with that oldtimer talk:eek:

Rick
02-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Okay, Kitty was on I've Got a Secret so you got me on that one but come on. Bennet Surf?
What have they been showin' on Canadian TV? Let me guess. Hockey, right. Wait a minute! You weren't one of those Canucks that watched French telelvision. Say it ain't so!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_My_Line%3F

cabingirl
02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Sure, i can tell you about the building of the cabin.First, it is not made from logs, that was to hard of work for my husbands, bad back.We built it out of lumber, some lumber we got from taking down an old house, the cabinets and inside doors came from that house. The other lumber we bought. My husband and I did the work, when it was time to put siding on, he used his old backhoe and lifted the siding , then stood in the front bucket and nailed it all. I cut some of the siding, he let the bucket down, I put the siding in the bucket.
Shingling ws really hard, we lifted the shingles to the top with the backhoe bucket, my husband got on the back side of the house,"the house has a steep roof" He had to stand on ladder racks to put the roof on the back. I was up on the front side, there is a porch on that side, and since I am afraid of height, I thought if I did fall, maybe the porch would stop me from falling.
The cabin is built rustic, and we built it to look old. It has 1,340 feet in it, with the two top attic bedrooms. Down stairs, there is a large kichen,, one and a half baths,, a wash room, large living room with my wood heater in there. Then their is the bedroom beside the living room.We built this back 5 1/2 years ago when the temp was over 100 degrees out side, you don't know what hot is until you are on top of a roof nailing in that kind of temp.
cabingirl

Sourdough
02-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Sounds perfect, nice job.

People here are having trouble getting fire insurance on cabins, it was not a problem in the old days, I even had insurance on my Lake Clark cabin, but not now. And if you have a wood heat system, well forget about insurance.

cabingirl
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
your right about the ins. we can't get ins. here if we have a wood heater on the inside. At the cabin we have a wood heater, no ins. Here at home we have an out side wood furnace, that pumps the hot water to the house and that heats the house, the ins. company did sell us ins. on this house.
Cabingirl

nell67
02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Those outside wood furnaces are expensive!!!!!

Rick
02-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Sounds perfect, cabingirl, and you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it with your own two hands. Not many can say that.

cabingirl
02-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Rick,
Both of our houses are built by our on two hands. just country houses,nothing expensive, but ours. I've got to say, it has been a lot of hard work.
Cabingirl

cabingirl
02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
yes they are now, but back when we bought ours" about 14 years ago" they didn't cost as much.I hope ours doesn't rust out or any thing.Should that happen, we probably would have to go back to a plain wood heater in the house.
Cabingirl

nell67
02-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I priced them last year when I bought this place,wayyyy more than I could afford:eek:

Sourdough
02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
your right about the ins. we can't get ins. here if we have a wood heater on the inside. At the cabin we have a wood heater, no ins. Here at home we have an out side wood furnace, that pumps the hot water to the house and that heats the house, the ins. company did sell us ins. on this house.
Cabingirl

You might want to ask your home owners insurance co. to add a liability rider on your cabin property, it is near free. And if robbers and looters cut them selfs or break there leg on your cabin property your covered.

Rick
02-06-2008, 07:22 PM
CabinGirl - Mansions don't have to be expensive.;)

Rick
02-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey cabingirl - This isn't a chimney oven but I thought you might want to look through it. You didn't say where the cabin so I don't know your weather. If it's anywhere close to home this might be a good 3 or 3+ season setup.

http://www.jrwhipple.com/sr/stove.html

trax
02-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I missed all these posts. Thanks for sharing that story Cabingirl and I don't want to say congratulations to you and your husband, I want to give you both a standing ovation!!