PDA

View Full Version : What size wire?

bensasso
06-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Just a quick question, what size wire should I be using for things like squirrel poles and rabbit snares?

Sam
06-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Usually 24 gauge wire is what folks here seem to use. I just carry a pair of rat traps and screw them to trees about 4 feet off the ground. The ' what's that?' factor that works for the squirrel pole works for the trap.
Just my two cents.
- Sam

mosquitomountainman
06-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I've used picture frame wire, old piano, guitar and banjo strings, GI trip wire, 14 gauge copper electrical wire with the insulation stripped away (twist the strands tighter), and steel fishing leaders (my favorite). It needs to be somewhat flexible but stiff enough to hold it's shape. If you put a one-way slide on it you can set them in trails without a spring pole. (Actually you can set regular snares in trails without spring poles or one-way locks but I have had critters get out of them occassionally.) My favorite for squirrrels is to set them on a pole between trees and the squirrel falls off the pole while struggling and hangs itself.

Around here the biggest problem is setting them where the deer can't get into them. Also make sure they are far enough away from people/habitations that you won't catch dogs or cats. Snares aren't very forgiving! (Although most domestic dogs will stop struggling before they tighten the snare too tight. Their collars help them stay alive too.)

Canadian-guerilla
06-02-2011, 04:47 PM
I ALMOST BOUGHT official " snare " wire because, well, it had snare wire on the label

then i went to the dollar store and bought 165 ft of the same gage for $1.25

and i'm always looking for new snare material(s)

Sourdough
06-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Dental Floss...........

SARKY
06-04-2011, 04:01 PM
At SERE, we used .020 stainless safety wire