PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Light Electrical Box.......Question

Sourdough
05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
"Electrical" Heat escapement pro/con ceiling lights.

Completed the rough wiring Sat. and insulated yesterday. My question: do ceiling light boxes "Require" a way for heat to escape upward.......? Can I epoxy 2" (Blue Board) polystyrene to the top of the box or will this cause a problem......with excess heat build-up....?

If you don't know, please don't guess........I can guess. The wrong Guess could result in a burned down cabin.

aflineman
05-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Has to be a rated fixture for insulation to be touching (IC Rated). You can also get a separate cover for the back of the fixture, and just glue the insulation to that.
http://www.capri.info/TechTopic/Capri/10.PDF

Sourdough
05-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Has to be a rated fixture for insulation to be touching (IC Rated). You can also get a separate cover for the back of the fixture, and just glue the insulation to that.
http://www.capri.info/TechTopic/Capri/10.PDF

Thank You.....
This would be on top of the Blue Round Outlet Box up in the ceiling. The fixture would be those ceramic light fixtures with the pull chain.

aflineman
05-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Thank You.....
This would be on top of the Blue Round Outlet Box up in the ceiling. The fixture would be those ceramic light fixtures with the pull chain.

In that case, I would not worry about it. I have sealed plenty to help with drafts,

kyratshooter
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
I have insulation right up to and behind all the junction boxes and blue fixture boxes. Not much sense in insulating if you don't.

You will find that new home and spray in applications cover them right up.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Water resistant applications are sealed....just sayin' and it gets 105 deg. F here.

Sourdough
05-30-2011, 03:42 PM
The goal is to have this very small cabin super insulated, so that at -31* it can still be heated easily. I bought a Toyo Laser-30 oil stove for the new cabin.

crashdive123
05-30-2011, 04:32 PM
We still have to get you to work on that picture thingie.

JPGreco
05-31-2011, 08:24 PM
If it's just a work box and the light fixture is not in the ceiling but rather hanging below it (anything other than a pot light), then you can insulate right over the the work box. As stated above, pot lights need to be rated to insulate right up against them.

The same goes for walls. Outlet work boxs can be insulated around.