PDA

View Full Version : My Shortgun pump action fail to extract empty shell after first shot

Bunduki
05-30-2011, 04:12 AM
My shortgun pump action is not extracting the empty shell after firing the first round.
I have experienced this problem for long time and now I have given up.

Can some one with such experience help me on how to go about? My short gun make is Ultra 87. I will be thankful for you support

crashdive123
05-30-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm no expert, but it could be one of several things - here are a few that come to mind. Dirt. Try giving your weapon a thorough cleaning. Worn extractor or spring. May need tooling or replacement. Also try a different ammunition.

Bunduki
05-30-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm no expert, but it could be one of several things - here are a few that come to mind. Dirt. Try giving your weapon a thorough cleaning. Worn extractor or spring. May need tooling or replacement. Also try a different ammunition.

Thank for your advice I will try this one

LowKey
05-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Definitely try a different brand of shell. My pump won't cycle the cheap Rio shells at all. Loves Remington and Winchester though. So much for trying to save a couple bucks.
Also make very sure you are using the right length shell.

hunter63
05-30-2011, 11:46 AM
I would guess you have dirt in or around the spring on the exrtactor....of a broken spring.
http://www.centuryarms.com/manuals/pdf_flipbook/ultra%2087%20shotgun/files/ultra%2087%20shotgun.pdf

My next step would be to take it to a quilified gunsmith.
Who makes this?.....Looks like a Mossberg, Maybe a knock off?

glockcop
06-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Assuming the weapon is semi clean, possibilities are 1) Broken extractor or weak extractor spring. 2)Dirt under extractor. 3)Broken ejector. It is probably a simple and cheap fix. Is the shell being pulled from the chamber but just not being flipped out of the ejection port? If so that's an ejector problem. If the bolt comes back but leaves the shell in the chamber, it's an extractor problem.

LowKey
06-21-2011, 08:49 PM
The OP never came back.

What if you can't cycle it at all?
Mine wouldn't let me pull the pump lever back. Jammed up tight. Had to pull hard to take the barrel off to extract the spent shell. We never did figure out why. Yes, they were the right length and the right gauge. Anyway, I know what it eats now. Something like that could suck in a bad situation.

glockcop
06-21-2011, 10:46 PM
The OP never came back.

What if you can't cycle it at all?
Mine wouldn't let me pull the pump lever back. Jammed up tight. Had to pull hard to take the barrel off to extract the spent shell. We never did figure out why. Yes, they were the right length and the right gauge. Anyway, I know what it eats now. Something like that could suck in a bad situation.

May have been over pressure shells swelling the brass in the chamber. Must be out of spec ammo if this is the only brands that gave problems but I'm not a gunsmith, just a gun guy:).

LowKey
06-22-2011, 07:47 AM
Didn't think to check if the brass was swelled... They dropped out when the barrel was pulled.

MaineBear
06-29-2011, 07:53 PM
If you take the fore end off you'll see a small square block welded to the underside of the barrel. Connected to this is the piston assembly that cycles the action, around that is a huge spring that brings the action back forward. The small block on the barrel is hollow and makes a passage from the inside of the barrel to the action piston, this tube allows propellant gas to activate and cycle the piston. If the tube is even partially blocked the action will not cycle completely and either the expended round will not eject properly or the bolt will not close fully for the next round.

You should be able to Google a disassembly video for your specific model, or better yet check out the GunTech section of brownells.com They have TONS of how-to videos on everything from cleaning to maintenance, or overhauling. And many are free.

Maine Bear

PS - I hope I'm not out of line with the URL reference? I have no affiliation with the site, and it's a good resource for free gunsmithing how-to...

LowKey
06-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Are you talking about an automatic?

MaineBear
06-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Are you talking about an automatic?

I should drink less when I respond to these posts. Yes, I read his post as an automatic when he's using a pump. My bad, write it off as the new guy being a drunk dink.

That being said, if his action is coming all the way back then the extractor may be stuck. The entire trigger action should be pinned and drop out the bottom. From there, start with a visual inspection, followed by a cleaning. The extractor is spring activated and tripped by the leading edge of the pump rails. Check the spring for weakness, action for dirt, binding (these parts rust like mad if never cleaned). Nice part is, you can completely rebuild most trigger groups for less than $20.

MB

Shalako
07-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Strange the problem is only on the first shell fired. Are you putting it away loaded? Do you clean the chamber before putting it away after shooting? Try shooting a Winchester, Remington or Federal load. If leaving it loaded, try a shell with a different texture/pattern on the outside plastic. If you're not cleaning the chamber, try it and see if that works.