PDA

View Full Version : Source for quality gill nets.........for salmon....?

Sourdough
05-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Looking for a source from which to buy Gill Nets.

(Alaskan Survivalist, what size for reds & Silvers.....?) This would be for survival poaching.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-25-2011, 02:59 AM
Legal mesh sizes vary with area but the limit is usually 6 inches. I get my supplies from B&J's and make my own. I think I have seen subsistence nets there but if not I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. Seward would probably be your best bet. Why don't you just dipnet?

Alaskan Survivalist
05-25-2011, 08:16 PM
BTW I went to Fish & Game office in Palmer today to get my licenses all lined out for the year. The only personal use permits printed up now are for Chitina. They did have shrimp pot permits for Prince William Sound so I got mine. None of the hunting stuff is out yet. I'm going to avoiding most of the combat fishing on the Kenai this year except for Dipneting the mouth. Gulkana opens up June 1 for Kings and that will be my first trip this year. They are having record runs on the Copper river this year and I figured they would be hitting Gulkana about now and was planing to go tommorow but it's not open yet where I go. I also heard they are raising fees for parking and lauch fees at Kenai this year. I will probably just park at the bridge and hual my Zodiac down the bank but that means I'll have to use my 5 HP Honda that takes longer to get back upstream. There is no way I can carry my 20 HP up that bank.

carbean
05-26-2011, 04:30 AM
Aha! I finally have something meaningful to contribute! THIS: http://www.texastastes.com/p129.htm is where you can find them. I recently bought a trout sized one from them. A little slow on shipping, but good quality.