PDA

View Full Version : Go bags.

OneLohan
05-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Dont know if anyone would be willing, but i know i would benefit greatly from some folks posting there pack list. Always good to see what other people are bringing with them should the need arise.

Sarge47
05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Dont know if anyone would be willing, but i know i would benefit greatly from some folks posting there pack list. Always good to see what other people are bringing with them should the need arise.
No offense, OneLohan (OL) but what type of pack are you referring to:

Hiking
Camping
Survival Kit
BOB
:confused1:

Once we know this we can direct you to the right thread(s) where a plethora of info awaits. Thanks.

Sarge47
05-23-2011, 04:44 PM
This'll get you started. Granted, it's a lot to read through, but you asked.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?1256-Survival-kits-info.

hunter63
05-24-2011, 11:57 AM
To truly answer your post, it would be good to kinda give us an idea or what you want this "Go bag" to do.

Are you leaving home, or trying to get home, (where all your preps are).

Is it urban, rural, or wilderness?

Are you gonna carry it your self, plan on vehicles, for trans sport or have preps stashed?

Primary use to survive the elements, or some other perceived or real threat? (The old food vs ammo, question)

Elements would include fire, tornado, flood, earthquake being reasons to "get out of Dodge"
Other threats could be civil unrest, terrorism, and fill in the blank "other possible, but probably not very probable" zombie attacks, aliens attacks etc.

Your options include every thing from:
Possibly just a packed bag with change of clothes (Overnight bag), toiletries, meds, money, cell phone, and copies of papers and or zip drive.

To a complete camping and survivial set up..................

Lots of posted kits, lists and advice in various posts......You just need to decide what you uses are or could be.

mosquitomountainman
05-24-2011, 12:39 PM
When we travel farther than twenty miles from home but less than 200 miles we have either a small backpack or camelback bags with water, a couple of space blankets, mirror, compass, matches, magnesium fire starter, butane lighters (2 or more), magnifying lense, reading glasses (for me), high-energy food bars, mixed nuts or a plastic jar of peanut butter for rations, Mini-Mag light with LED replacement bulb, GPS, 2 meter ham radio, camera (not for survival ... I just always have it with me), spare batteries (the mini-mag flashlight, GPS, radio and camera all use AA batteries so we can swap batteries if need be), map(s) - a large forest service map of our area and state map(s) depending upon how far we are going, sheath knife and sometimes a small hatchet, a sheet of aluminum foil, small sewing kit, leatherman, 50 feet of para-cord, small fishing kit, a package of 24 in. steel leaders for use as snares, and other components as the need dictates. If we are a ways from home and the trip is several day's duration we bring our mtn. bikes with saddle bags, more food and water, sleeping bags, extra clothes and a backpack tent. We might bring a rifle depending upon where, when and how long we'll be gone. I always have my 357 magnum or 44 magnum handgun and extra ammo along. We might also throw my 22 handgun in the GHB under some conditions. First aid kit is a given in all situations. Our camelbacks are always packed and ready to grab and go when/if need dictates.

We usually carry a Delorme topo. atlas of the state we are in. If we need to go on foot or bicycle we'll just tear out the pages relevant to our journey. When we were in Nevada awhile back we had "get home" buckets packed with all the high-energyfood we'd need to travel the 1,000 miles back on bicycles if the need arose. My wife is an experienced cross-country bicyclist and knows how and what to pack for trips like those. The longest I've been on was three days/221 miles total.

cowgirlup
05-24-2011, 07:23 PM
I have an all purpose bag in the car. If i have to GO real quick it has all the basics. It also works as a get home bag.
Off the top of my head the pack has:
Gerber folding knife and a fixed blade,
Sierra cup, and another metal container for heating water/food.
small aluminum pan folded up flat.
2 firesteels, lighter and matches. PJ balls, 12 hour candle,
Mylar space blanket and a real one with grommets. 25 ft paracord
10x12 visqueen roll with bungee cord. FAK,
Water purifier tabs and aquamira straw.
Shake flashlight and headlamp. Wool cap and socks
and extra undies. 2 bottles of water, instant soup,
oatmeal, hot chocolate and tea. gatorade packets.
MRE peanut butter and meal replacement bars. Insect repelant.

The trunk organizer of the SUV has 12x20 tarp,
bivy sack, pocket cooker, 4 freeze dried meals and other MRE entrees.3 more bottles of water,
wool and fleece blanket, steel tea kettle. extra boots and a jacket.

Kind of overkill but I'd rather have it and not need it.

mosquitomountainman
05-24-2011, 09:11 PM
We got a pocket cooker this year and love it. Kinda' heavy for backpacking but then you don't need to carry a stove and fuel bottle either. We hear you on the overkill! We can always leave excess gear behind but if you got to head out quick you won't have time to run to the sporting goods store to get what you forgot.

cowgirlup
05-24-2011, 09:20 PM
I can reconfigure my pack with the extra stuff in the car depending on the situation. Pick and choose what I need.
Also, I have a butt pack attached to my main pack that has just the basics in case I need to ditch the weight and really just go.

hunter63
05-25-2011, 02:56 PM
I have an all purpose bag in the car. If i have to GO real quick it has all the basics. It also works as a get home bag.
Kind of overkill but I'd rather have it and not need it.

LOL, I probably get 3 more mpg if I unloaded all the "stuff" I carry around in the vehicles.........But I want to have my stuff with me.