PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to enliven this sleepy forum.......?

Sourdough
05-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Looking for Ideas on how to put some life (Postings) into this forum. Other than saying "Hello and Welcome to the Forum" to the new members, there is little to post too here. Maybe it is the nature of the subject matter here, maybe we have touched all the bases and all knowledge is in the archives, maybe it is the matrix of the members. I just find it odd that there can be "No new posts" for several hours in the middle of the day or early evening. What say you........???

randyt
05-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I say many times a new member will post a question and get a "use the search feature" maybe that is a good thing because it keeps new posts cutting edge so to speak. On the other hand maybe further discussion on a subject pushes boundaries and develops neural grooves in the cerebral cortex. LOL.

It's a good question though, that I don't have a answer for.

RangerXanatos
05-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I, too, have seen a lack of member precipitation. I think some of it is when new members asks a question, they are often directed to use the search function. Yes, we may have been over it before, but we need to keep the forum adapting and staying in motion instead of just looking into the archives. Another thing it may be is that people are now getting bored to the idea of survival since we now have media pushing the concept in any which way it can and has been doing so for a couple of years now.

I am a member of two other forums that I still check up on. But this one is the one I first started really posting on and still call home.

To generate more posts, how about a monthly challenge? Doesn't have to be hard so it can be something like starting a fire with a firesteel, hiking 5 miles in a day, staying overnight in the woods that's not a park. For the more experienced members, we can have a harder challenge every three months like creating a friction fire or making your own gear like bowls. This could serve as a background of a skill in which we should make posts as we progress on that skill.

Another thing I'd like to do is to have a local gathering of not only socializing, but having demonstrations and teaching sessions. Spread good times AND knowledge.

I'm sure I'll have more ideas come to me later.

crashdive123
05-19-2011, 08:55 PM
I think it's more that the weather is nicer and people are spending less time in front of their computers.

Justin Case
05-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I, too, have seen a lack of member precipitation. I think some of it is when new members asks a question, they are often directed to use the search function. Yes, we may have been over it before, but we need to keep the forum adapting and staying in motion instead of just looking into the archives. Another thing it may be is that people are now getting bored to the idea of survival since we now have media pushing the concept in any which way it can and has been doing so for a couple of years now.

I am a member of two other forums that I still check up on. But this one is the one I first started really posting on and still call home.

To generate more posts, how about a monthly challenge? Doesn't have to be hard so it can be something like starting a fire with a firesteel, hiking 5 miles in a day, staying overnight in the woods that's not a park. For the more experienced members, we can have a harder challenge every three months like creating a friction fire or making your own gear like bowls. This could serve as a background of a skill in which we should make posts as we progress on that skill.

Another thing I'd like to do is to have a local gathering of not only socializing, but having demonstrations and teaching sessions. Spread good times AND knowledge.

I'm sure I'll have more ideas come to me later.

I don't think I have ever seen a member rain :sweatingbullets::confused1: ;) (but seriously,,,, good ideas :))

Sarge47
05-19-2011, 09:12 PM
"...staying overnight in the woods that's not a park..."
Here in Illinois they call that "trespassing!" :nono:

crashdive123
05-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Yet but another reason to not live in Illinois.:tt2:

LowKey
05-19-2011, 09:21 PM
It's Springtime SD. If I'm not working and it's not raining too hard, I wanna be outside.

I don't post a lot of questions here as I'm not sure if they've been asked a hundred times. The search function in BB edit leaves a lot to be desired and often I can't get it to work the way I want it to. I have a lot of questions on firearms and the various kinds of ammunition and reloading and black powder and hunting and other stuff but afraid to ask. Didn't grow up with them so learning piecemeal, mostly still learning what questions to ask so I don't sound the complete idiot that I probably am. And I've learned a lot going back through a lot of the posts here.

The afraid to ask part is probably part of the problem.

RX, I don't think skills challenges on a forum work so much. Things like that are more face-to-face involvement. It's sorta like how no one here likes to play what-if "games". But someone going out and doing something then reporting back (with pics) then doing a question/answer is far more interesting. At least to me. It allows involvement of the unskilled at a level of student and teacher rather than Noob vs. Grizzly Bear.

crashdive123
05-19-2011, 09:27 PM
The skills challenge doesn't have to be a contest. It can just be another way to get boots in the field, and then post about it. A way that I've seen it done, and what RX may be referring to is to pick a few different ideas and post a poll. Everybody that wants to participate vote. The winning skill or project is done by all. Pictures (if you are able) and descriptions follow so that those that could not participate can share in the knowledge.

Sarge47
05-19-2011, 09:43 PM
The skills challenge doesn't have to be a contest. It can just be another way to get boots in the field, and then post about it. A way that I've seen it done, and what RX may be referring to is to pick a few different ideas and post a poll. Everybody that wants to participate vote. The winning skill or project is done by all. Pictures (if you are able) and descriptions follow so that those that could not participate can share in the knowledge.
Yeah, and the winner get's a Crash-knife with Crash-carta handles! Love it! :nod:

Alaskan Survivalist
05-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Eliminate the green things, number of posts and level the playing field for those new to the forum.

BENESSE
05-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Eliminate the green things, number of posts and level the playing field for those new to the forum.

Amen to that.
We can continue to talk to ourselves (always fun...up to a point) or we can just get over ourselves and start anew.
Haven't we touched upon about adaptability?

Sourdough
05-19-2011, 10:26 PM

MAYBE........One of the problems Is (and I don't have a solution for it) some on this forum have a lot of clout, and "WE" stifle conversation. Let's face it, we often come on way to authoritatively. Even if we are 100% correct we have killed the conversation. We all want to help, and we all want kudos for our smarts, but it kills conversation. I am not picking on Rick, I am often just the same, but Rick has the additional clout in the eyes of some because he is Administrator.

If there is a question asked, and one or two response, as soon as Rick, or anyone perceived as authority, Moderator or not, states how it is, even if they say it is just my opinion, it comes down as the word of a god (Not the God, but a god). I and Alaskan Survivalist, and several others, we are guilty of stifling the conversation. I don't have an answer, maybe we need to back off and guide the conversation. Sorry Rick, it is not personal. I love you like my geese, well almost.

BENESSE
05-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Well...
It's OK to stifle inane conversation, and not coddle people just because they seem to be 12 yrs. old. If you do, you'll turn away just as many people--those with substance minus attitude and I'd think them is the ones worth hanging on to.
Gotta choose your audience and stick with it. (advertising 101) Can't be all things to all people.

pugslee
05-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Im new and all but, i have read this topic and did not see a bad idea. Like i said im new to this forum but i am not new at outdoor survival. Here is my idea, how about makeing a chat box where we could all be in a chat room, everyone could share their tips, someone could want to ask a question and get a LIVE answer. their are plenty of free chat rooms out their www.xat.com is probably the best i have one that i would donate to the cause if anyone was interested just let me know.

Skinner
05-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Well I Like Making things Out of Just Pretty Much What Others Call Junk.
I'm Collecting Pallets From Work and Tearing them Down to Build Some Work Tables .
Or Have a Contest for Members For there Skill Level .I'm New to Knife Making We Can Get Others Involved In Making there 1st Knife It Doesen'tt Need to Be Pretty Just More Of A Self And Forum Help .Or Make a Knife With a Certain Flow Like (The Body Lines Of 1 Type Of Car or Something0 And Use Everything At your Disposal.Since I Have Been Here And Started Making Knives About a Month of joining the Forum.I Belive My Skills Have Progressed Alot But there's More to Learn Everyday.

DOGMAN
05-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Something needs to happen that is for sure. About a month ago I found another forum of similar subject matter that is huge- in one day (24 hours) there is often like 250 new posts on Bushcraft and outdoors subjects...and I have been spending some of my limited internet time over there. Not because I prefer the people or the format- but just because of the knowledge being transmitted....That forum has a lot of info, but not nearly the personality- maybe we should all just start posting more stuff on here about our own exploits, projects, etc...and all of us comment on one anothers posts and really get this thing lively again

BornthatWay
05-20-2011, 01:23 AM
MAYBE........One of the problems Is (and I don't have a solution for it) some on this forum have a lot of clout, and "WE" stifle conversation. Let's face it, we often come on way to authoritatively. Even if we are 100% correct we have killed the conversation. We all want to help, and we all want kudos for our smarts, but it kills conversation. I am not picking on Rick, I am often just the same, but Rick has the additional clout in the eyes of some because he is Administrator.

If there is a question asked, and one or two response, as soon as Rick, or anyone perceived as authority, Moderator or not, states how it is, even if they say it is just my opinion, it comes down as the word of a god (Not the God, but a god). I and Alaskan Survivalist, and several others, we are guilty of stifling the conversation. I don't have an answer, maybe we need to back off and guide the conversation. Sorry Rick, it is not personal. I love you like my geese, well almost.

I have to agree with you Sourdough. Even though I have not been given this answer I think it is hard to swallow when you ask a question and basically you are told you should not ask because someone else already has. I think telling someone there are already threads about the subject can be done a little more gently, and the question added does anyone have something new to add. The other problem is the search function does not always work because somtimes we give the thread a catchy title and it does not pull it up, but someone who has read them all and is very familiar with the forum will now which threads actually are most pertinate.
Not trying to step on anyone's toes but the adage "there is no stupid question" does not always apply with the comments made about the fact this has been discussed beforer.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-20-2011, 01:58 AM
I've thought back to when I first joined forum and I had never figured on posting much. I made one little post and got jumped on for no introduction first so to make things right I posted a introduction. Then I got all kinds of questions and it seemed as though people where interested so I responded. It was much later that I figured out it was because Native Dude had just been banned and people thought I was him but I had already been sucked into the conversation by then. Maybe more would open up if we do the same to them. What got you guys interested and posting? If we can remember that we'll have our answer.

Sourdough
05-20-2011, 02:22 AM
There is a saying, "The fish stinks from the head". Clearly the problem is NOT with the Newbies, and I request any new members speak their thoughts on this issue. One way or another, painful as it may be, some of us (Including Me) need to back off, and instead of stating Our loyal profound wisdom, try to be mentors, and ask questions that will allow the seeker, to discover the answer for themselves.

What I know is if I go for a 3 hour walk and come back and click on this forum, I see little if anything to post too, and ofter in the 3 hours I was gone there might be two posts. So I jump over to the Alaska Outdoor forum and there were 40 or 60 posts in 3 hours, I can find a conversation to join.

Don't get me wrong I love this forum, I love the forum members, but we have to do something. In part it is summer, but it has been slipping for sometime. Not counting threads that I start, I would guess that most of my posts are welcoming new members.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-20-2011, 02:50 AM
The Alaska Outdoor forum is to complicated. I figured out how to make a post there on a sking thread and never could find it again. Way to much advertising to find the threads.

and what does "loyal profound wisdom" mean?

Winnie
05-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Things always seem to go quiet this time of year. Lowkey said it, the weather is improving and folk are more likely to be putting their "boots in the field" rather than their fingers on the keyboard.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-20-2011, 03:33 AM
I have already "backed off". I quit posting my hikes, outings and Thursday drills. I quit posting any how to info. I post half the number of posts as you (3.86 per day). How much further should I back off?

BENESSE
05-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I have already "backed off". I quit posting my hikes, outings and Thursday drills. I quit posting any how to info. I post half the number of posts as you (3.86 per day). How much further should I back off?

You of ALL people shouldn't back off! Why would you?
I've got most of your show 'n tell posts bookmarked and I know people appreciate your knowledge (look at all the green dots!) and your easy-to-follow way of imparting it.
Personally, I don't see a problem but then I'm not on any other forums (can't judge)--simply don't have the time. I read what I like, respond when I have something to say and ignore the rest which other people might find interesting. Different strokes for different folks. The only other thing I read and like is the Survival blog, but that's certainly not a forum and doesn't require engagement.

mosquitomountainman
05-20-2011, 08:35 AM
The forum here is ingrown. Look at the number of responses under each person's name. They tend to be 1000 and up or very low numbers. New people come in, get hammered by the "establishment" and leave again. The curt responses to "introduce yourself" immediately after a person makes their first post are excessively harsh. The back-and-forth banter between people who've known each other for a long time is okay to a point but few of the threads have any actual intellectual value after the first few posts. They sound more like the "good-ole-boys" shootin' the bull at the pub. This forum is like a lot of established churches. New people are expected to conform and ridiculed for not knowing what's happened in the past ("We've already covered that. Look up the old thread."). They're kind of welcome but not really included. I doub't if it's intentional on anyone here's part. It's just the way things happen when you get a relatively small group of people together for a long time. They become a closed community and it's difficult for others to break in.

Regarding AS's post, "I have already "backed off". I quit posting my hikes, outings and Thursday drills. I quit posting any how to info. I post half the number of posts as you (3.86 per day). How much further should I back off?"

These are the kind of things the long-term members should be posting.

gryffynklm
05-20-2011, 09:03 AM
AS, I think the Back Off is in regard to what Mosquito..Man said so well. SD didn't mean to stop but stop hammering on Its BEEN POSTED SEARCH IT and perhaps when appropriate direct the discussion with leading questions instead of giving a direct answer or response to encourage participation.

AS, Like Beneese said, I enjoy your posts they are well thought out and whether you are taking a hike or posting a how to, they easy to follow along.

Just my 2.25 cents. (inflation)

Rick
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Man oh man. I've never seen so many folks with ruffled feathers.

1. Yes, you are directed to the Introduction section. We have explained this ad infinitum but here you go. Would you walk up to a group of strangers on the street and just start talking? An introduction might be in order. It's just part of the social graces. Same here. It helps to know something about the person claiming to know something or asking a question. Especially important if it involves firearms or sharps. If you don't want to post one then no one bothers you. But suggesting you post an introduction is just a way for us to get to know you.

2. How would you steer folks to the Search button? If you notice, I generally tell a new person that if they can't find the answer then ask. We all understand that a search doesn't secure the answer all of the time. I've seen a lot of folks post, "I did a search but couldn't find...." No one says a word to them. But searching the forum allows folks to learn how to maneuver through the forum, gets them acquainted with some of the posts and just might answer their question. I often post examples of other posts because I know they are out there and it might answer the question or give some other ideas the OP hadn't considered. If that's wrong, so be it.

3. If this forum is sleepy then it's an easy fix. Instead of lamenting why not post something of substance? Chris has made numerous offers for videos and has done a fine job (in my opinion) of adding the capability within the post. Every time someone has made a good suggestion he has incorporated it. At least most of them. I think he does a fine job keeping the forum technically current and improving the overall usability of the forum. When's the last time you posted in the plant database? Posted a video or pictures on "how-to"? Some members do a fantastic job of it. Some don't do anything. There have been give aways to help members, best video of the quarter and on and on.

4. Sorry Sourdough but when you call someone out you do make it personal. Saying it's not doesn't change the fact that you singled them out. If you have examples of when I was a god, shoot them to me. I'm old but I'm still capable of learning a few things.

Sourdough
05-20-2011, 09:24 AM

1. Yes, you are directed to the Introduction section. We have explained this ad infinitum but here you go. Would you walk up to a group of strangers on the street and just start talking? An introduction might be in order. It's just part of the social graces. Same here. It helps to know something about the person claiming to know something or asking a question. Especially important if it involves firearms or sharps. If you don't want to post one then no one bothers you. But suggesting you post an introduction is just a way for us to get to know you.

2. How would you steer folks to the Search button? If you notice, I generally tell a new person that if they can't find the answer then ask. We all understand that a search doesn't secure the answer all of the time. I've seen a lot of folks post, "I did a search but couldn't find...." No one says a word to them. But searching the forum allows folks to learn how to maneuver through the forum, gets them acquainted with some of the posts and just might answer their question. I often post examples of other posts because I know they are out there and it might answer the question or give some other ideas the OP hadn't considered. If that's wrong, so be it.

3. If this forum is sleepy then it's an easy fix. Instead of lamenting why not post something of substance? Chris has made numerous offers for videos and has done a fine job (in my opinion) of adding the capability within the post. Every time someone has made a good suggestion he has incorporated it. At least most of them. I think he does a fine job keeping the forum technically current and improving the overall usability of the forum. When's the last time you posted in the plant database? Posted a video or pictures on "how-to"? Some members do a fantastic job of it. Some don't do anything. There have been give aways to help members, best video of the quarter and on and on.

4. Sorry Sourdough but when you call someone out you do make it personal. Saying it's not doesn't change the fact that you singled them out. If you have examples of when I was a god, shoot them to me. I'm old but I'm still capable of learning a few things.

OK, the above post is not the best example, but is pretty good example. I feel like you just (With the above post) made a ruleing, I feel this thread just got closed down, Rick has said how it is, and that is that, thread almost closed.

Sourdough
05-20-2011, 09:32 AM
See Rick, it is unintentional, we (Me included) are trying to help, but we over power and intimidate others. We (Me Included) act as if we have "THE" answer, when infact what we have is an answer. There may be other answers. I just see that "we" are the problem, not the newbies.

crashdive123
05-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Not meaning to take sides (but I know it will appear that way). I understand the points that everybody is making - I really do. As to the asking them to post an intro (since I am one of the guilty parties) - It is not a demand, but merely a request. As most have noticed, the requests are usually tempered with an attempt of humor (playing on the words in their first post). Nobody has been chastised for then going to the intro section and saying ..... just wanted to say hi - I'm new here. For me (can't speak for everybody) - I am uncomfortable giving some advice on a few subjects (not all) without knowing a bit of the background or experience. Some of those subjects include firearms, knife purchases, how to survive a year in the woods with just a knife. I am also a bit dubious of advice I may get from an individual without knowing some of their background. Here's an example --- if a 12 year old from Asbury Park, New Jersey (I grew up near there) told me about "pushing" bears to get them away from you I would not have given their advice any credence whatsoever. As it turns out, that advice came from an experienced Alaskan hunting guide that has had more bear experiences than I will ever hope to have. Not that I'm going to run out and look for a bear to push - but that information is tucked away as credible.

Sourdough
05-20-2011, 09:38 AM
The forum here is ingrown. Look at the number of responses under each person's name. They tend to be 1000 and up or very low numbers. New people come in, get hammered by the "establishment" and leave again. The curt responses to "introduce yourself" immediately after a person makes their first post are excessively harsh. The back-and-forth banter between people who've known each other for a long time is okay to a point but few of the threads have any actual intellectual value after the first few posts. They sound more like the "good-ole-boys" shootin' the bull at the pub. This forum is like a lot of established churches. New people are expected to conform and ridiculed for not knowing what's happened in the past ("We've already covered that. Look up the old thread."). They're kind of welcome but not really included. I doub't if it's intentional on anyone here's part. It's just the way things happen when you get a relatively small group of people together for a long time. They become a closed community and it's difficult for others to break in.

Regarding AS's post, "I have already "backed off". I quit posting my hikes, outings and Thursday drills. I quit posting any how to info. I post half the number of posts as you (3.86 per day). How much further should I back off?"

These are the kind of things the long-term members should be posting.

I agree on ALL points. Including the last point.

Rick
05-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Seriously? I post some explanations and ask a question and I've closed down the thread?

DOGMAN
05-20-2011, 09:47 AM
how about this....we do a little test...for the next month- nobody encourage newbies to use the search feature, and no one say "post an intro of yourself" in the first 25 posts by the newbie.
Also, lets try to not squash anyones dreams, delusions or crack-pot plans until they have made 25 posts, and lets see if this place comes back to life

crashdive123
05-20-2011, 09:49 AM
how about this....we do a little test...for the next month- nobody encourage newbies to use the search feature, and no one say "post an intro of yourself" in the first 25 posts by the newbie.
Also, lets try to not squash anyones dreams, delusions or crack-pot plans until they have made 25 posts, and lets see if this place comes back to life

I have no problem with that. It may mean that I do not respond to posts of some of the newer members - but that may be a good thing in some people's opinion.

Justin Case
05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Seriously? I post some explanations and ask a question and I've closed down the thread?

I don't think so,,,, I think the main thing is that people in general do not like to be put down or embarrassed,,, by anybody,,

mosquitomountainman
05-20-2011, 10:00 AM

Out of the first thirty posts on this thread only four are from people wth less than 900 previous posts. The forum is ingrown. New people don't feel as if they are a part of it. I've seen instances where new people were ridiculed and they left then long-term members made jokes about it. This is a clear warning to new members who didn't post that they are outsiders and have little value as members. Why should they post if they aren't going to be treated with respect?

I've struck up conversations with a lot of people without going into a long introduction or listing my "credentials." If I think they're worth the trouble I'll give more personal information later. If they're wackos or just full of themselves why waste my time with introductions. Most of those I'm familiar with see anyone who begins a conversation about themselves as jerks. If you read the introductions few people give much pertinant information anyway. Maybe things are done differently in other parts of the country.

I've used the search feature and come up with threads that were multple pages long. In addition many searches offer several different threads on the same subject. Who has time to read fifty pages of comments to see if a question has been answered before? Especially when over half the responses are banter between long-term members. It's like trying to break into a family conversation when you're the outsider in the group. It might be interesting to listen in on but is largely irrelevant to the question posed. When you deal with the time needed for loading each page it's not worth looking at old threads.

The forum is sleepy because there're not enough new members on it asking questions. When new members do ask questions they're told to go to the search feature and find the answers there. If they have an opinion different than that expressed by current members they're ridiculed. You who have been here awhile feel safe in your relationships with each other. New people don't. "Old" members should be posting about things they've done or are doing. They should be answering new people politely, encouraging their participation, and making them feel welcome and valued.

Sourdough; you may have opened a can of worms but it was one that needed to be opened.

crashdive123
05-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Since I've been a member, this can of worms has been opened a few times. Nothing wrong with that at all. It will cause me (and I'm sure others) to take a look at how they are interacting with new members.

Sourdough
05-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Maybe we need to ask why do new members come here.......? See I don't think most come here to learn, I think a lot of office worker people come here to be entertained by first hand accounts like Alaskan Survivalist and many others would post, but mostly they just want to be entertained. Yes, they dream of a life of adventure, but deep inside they know that they will never truely embrace it.

Many who join say they want to learn, but I suspect they just wanted to learn a few "Bullet Point" type things, and when they grasp the size of this subject, the amount of knowledge required, they are chest'fallen and give up the quest.

Most likely this subject "Wilderness Survival" was one more passing fancy for a bored society, like bungee jumping, LSD, Hot rods, Disco dancing. I think the broad masses have largely moved on to the next social distraction from the empty disappointing existence they call life. Ouch.....that stung.

crashdive123
05-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Wait just a minute three mister. Disco dancing a passing fancy?

mosquitomountainman
05-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe we need to ask why do new members come here.......? See I don't think most come here to learn, I think a lot of office worker people come here to be entertained by first hand accounts like Alaskan Survivalist and many others would post, but mostly they just want to be entertained.

I suspect that many who join say they want to learn, but I suspect they just wanted to learn a few "Bullet Point" type things, and when they grasp the size of this subject, the amount of knowledge required, they are chest'fallen and give up the quest.

Most likely this subject "Wilderness Survival" was one more passing fancy for a bored society, like bungee jumping, LSD, Hot rods, Disco dancing. I think the broad masses have largely moved on to the next social distraction from the empty disappointing existence they call life. Ouch.....that stung.

"Maybe we need to ask why do new members come here.......?"

In my opinion that's the best question yet. I can't speak for anyone else but I was attracted by the words "Wilderness Forum." I expected to see people who were living or practicing different aspects of wilderness life and skills. I want to learn things I don't know, meet people with similar interests, and hopefully, contribute things I do know. I'm not a neophyte at this. I don't like flashing a pedigree so people will "value" what I say because I'm not impressed by pedigrees. I want to see what they know and what they do. That takes time and participation. I have no doubt some come here to just live vicariously through the experiences of others. I don't have a problem with that. Even I do it to an extent. I love the Alaska blogs and the responses of people who live in the "bush." I live that way myself but it's more of a "lower 48" experience.

Many who read this forum will never experience life in the "bush" or live off-grid but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't feel welcome and safe here. Maybe another question to ask would be why the long term members come here? You are the people in control so I would assume that you've made this forum into what it is today. What do you get out of being here?

DOGMAN
05-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Sourdough, I would say wilderness survival is not a dying trend...Its growing from what I see (just visit the Bushcraft USA forum). I agree with mosquitomountain man- we need some fresh blood and to get that- we all need to take it easier of new members and let them get going on this site before we crush their hopes and dreams

crashdive123
05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Maybe another question to ask would be why the long term members come here? You are the people in control so I would assume that you've made this forum into what it is today. What do you get out of being here?

I first came here when I was looking to improve my personal disaster preparedness plans. Not that that was the focus of this site - it clearly was not, but when I stumbled across it, it looked interesting. I read for a couple of hours and decided to join. Since that time I have learned a lot, on a variety of topics. Many of those topics were not necessarily wilderness related. Hopefully I have been able to contribute to the learning of others. I stay because I enjoy it. I still learn. I still try and pass along what I know. I enjoy the camaraderie of those I have come to know. I also enjoy the banter. I have looked at sites that if you derailed a thread, or posted off topic you were immediately banned. That sort of place is not for me. Life is too short to take yourself so seriously that you refuse to have fun. (when I say you, I mean me) The banter was here when I joined almost three and a half years ago. That's one of the things that attracted me. There is plenty of good, quality material available along with knowledgeable people. The lightheartedness that sometimes ensues was a bonus to me. Can it get over the top sometimes? Sure. When it does, I ignore it - it eventually dies. Are the things that attracted and keep me here the same for everybody? Of course not.

BENESSE
05-20-2011, 11:08 AM
A lot of us with a high # of posts were newbies once who came looking for specific information and stayed because we were learning useful things--beyond what originally brought us here. And along the way we also made some virtual friends that we began to care about and kid around with.

An introduction is a nice thing to do. It also provides context which is indispensable when giving and taking advice--especially advice on serious and potentially dangerous topics. Wild edibles, firearms, medicine, LE, law, taking off unprepared, etc. If we were talking exclusively about decorating and flower arranging, it would be a different story.

Dogman has a good idea. Let's "lay off" for a month and see what happens. I guarantee you, nothing. In fact, I'll bet that it'll get worse and more inane; like a deaf and mute having a conversation. That's not the kind of thing that's gonna inspire me, but then I don't care as much to mold this forum into be all, end all, to suit my narrow (NYC) needs.

Sourdough
05-20-2011, 11:31 AM

No you have not closed down the thread, but you have inadvertently intimidated many from future feed back to the thread. Rick, just try to see it through the eyes of others, You have 35,000 posts, you are Administrator. I am not saying you should not post, maybe wait till the threads matures and then post. I think you are clueless about the degree to which you and to a lesser extent all the Moderators (Not Ranger-X) intimidate the conversation. Next down the list would be Me, Alaskan Survivalist, and a half dozen others do the exact same thing, maybe even worse in some cases. I just think we need to back off being perceived as "Know-it'alls", and figure out a way to coach, mentor, guide others so that they discover the answers for themselves, and not have it rammed down their throats.

If we do not embrace change it will get even more sleepy around here. In the end the only real looser is Chris.

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
For the record...I CAME here to learn and welcome those who know more than I do to share with me. I don't see them as "know it alls" at all. ;) Just as I would answer a question I know HOW to answer, I would expect those here to do the same thing.

That is all...carry on. ;)

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 11:51 AM
On topic:
I don't think anyone needs to panic about how quiet the site is getting right now. While I've not been here for a full year yet, I would assume that this time of year is when we all get outside in our yards, gardens, and forests. I mean...we ARE outdoorsy people. That's kind of why we're all here. LOL! :)

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
#1: An intro is essential for giving out information! I always post something to the effect like: "Intro 1st, Info 2nd,fair enough?" How the he11 is THAT being rude?

#2: The forum is NOT dying; quite the opposite in fact. This site has been #1 on Google for 10 years.

#3: It's the lively exchange of ideas such as what's going on here that help keep it awake! :thumbup1:

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 12:16 PM
When I 1st came on here this site did not have near as many members as this:

"Members 5,961"

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Agreed...and you have to take into account that this site isn't MEANT for people to talk about stuff endlessly. It's for us to learn from. Take what you learn and put it into action. Don't sit on your can talking about it all day...ya know? ;)

hunter63
05-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Seems like I got to the party late....again.
Anyway, a few thoughts.

I found the forum by a using a search function, looking for a bread recipe.....Specifically using the bag of flour as a mixing bowl.
Although I still haven't found this reference, saw it in a recipe book that I though was be Bradford Alger......anyway, point this is how most people find this forum.

I was asked to provide an introduction, although it wasn't required, and did so....Although I didn't feel real comfortable "listing my levels of competence," per se, to a group of "what?". Who are these people?

Yet there was enough good information that I stayed...........

It does kinda smack of a 'in crowd'....This is pretty normal, visit any shop in the world, same thing, bunch of cronies, chucking and jiving with private jokes, when you are trying to get somewhere, or find out some thing.

Early on I had commented about how many post it took to get off on some tangent, private jokes etc....Fine, as long as you are in the group.
Called, "Paying your dues"
Does kinda put off a lot of people.

As does the "use the search function" ........I'm not real good a locating a topic, especially when some one got cute with the title (I do this.....sorry)
When I ask a question in a new place and get a "should have been here last year, response.....It's later Dude.

Then again........There has been a lot of "what survival knife is the best.....My 870 is the last word in shot guns......BG is a (fill in the blank)" and of course "I'm gonna take my knife, and live in the woods, what do I do"..........This stuff drives me nuts, as well.

Not everyone will be comfortable hanging out, or get outed as a keyboard commando fairly soon....Or resort to plagiarism, This is a big pet peeve of mine...If ya found it, cool, but don't take credit for someone elses thoughts or deeds....So be it.

There is a good amount of info, pic', vid's from "thems that done it' , tutorials...which is super cool, ....As well as the boots' in the field pic's and reports.....that's the stuff I do enjoy....Being there with out being there........Thanks for all the "trips'.

As far as providing info to younger people, I don't feel that answering a question necessarily constituents a requirement of responsibility.
If your info is correct, and they are stupid....so be it,..... They will do what they do anyway, just try to be as truthful as possible.

Maybe just let it sort it's self out.....It is getting nice out....been fun so far looking forward to continuring shareing thoughts, stories, experiances, pic's.

Thanks to all.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I like the sharing of experience. That's about it. Even things I've done I get to re-live though people doing it for the first time with the same enthusiasm as I had my first time. I'm not the best at anything, just a guy doing it and want to share that.

hermit
05-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Sometimes it isn't the message, it's the delivery. It does feel rather curt sometimes the way in which people are told to "go introduce themselves" or "Search it".

I haven't been to this forum in at least a few months. Oddly enough, one of the things that put me off is that the forum seemed too big! I'd read a thread that had just been started that morning and there were already 2 or 3 pages of comments, and when I posted mine it was immediately buried! I didn't feel like I was interacting or learning much. So I found a smaller forum to hang out at.

On that forum the first time a subject came up that I'd already been there to voice answers on I was puzzled that they didn't know we'd already covered that. I wondered why the OP didn't read through the old threads and find it. The subsequent posts were supportive. One of them kindly mentioned that there was more information on other threads and went to the trouble to find and post links to those threads. It also turned out several other newbies wanted to learn more about the same thing and a lively discussion of fresh ideas rose from it, from other people with different experiences and ideas on the same subject! I learned things!

Those same topics have come up a couple more times, and now I just smile and dive in to see what people are sharing this time! These are topics like drying food or canning meat or bug-out bags, etc. Another recurring one is on the subject of what do you do if TSHTF and family/friends/others show up. There's always something to learn no matter how many times people ask the same question. And yes, the search can be hard to use, and it takes a lot of valuable time to dig through those old threads. However, when I have time, I love to read through the old threads.

Finally, I figured out pretty quick who were the regular and popular people on here. That in and of itself didn't intimidate me. I don't expect to be the class pet or anything. The people who have been here a while, theoretically, are the ones who should most be able to help and direct the newbies.

Lastly, Rick: You are abrasive and touchy. If there was one person on this forum that made me least likely to return, it was you. I thought it was just because I was a woman and preferred a nicer approach even when I thought someone was an idiot or I wanted to kick them in the butt. Since I'm adamantly opposed to the feminizing of the American male, I left it alone. But a lot of the other men on this forum manage to BE men without feeling threatened or disrespected, and they were the ones that made it worth coming here.

This is a big forum with lots of subjects that should appeal to a wide base of members. There should be room for whoever has a question about anything pertinent to the purpose of this forum, and enough people interested in having a discussion with them. If you feel like "been there, done that", go to a different thread.

mosquitomountainman
05-20-2011, 02:35 PM
...#2: The forum is NOT dying; quite the opposite in fact. This site has been #1 on Google for 10 years. ... "

So there's no problem and this discusion is pointless.

I just pulled up the first post with three pages of comments on a forum I often participate in. Out of 24 posts on the topic only three were from members who had over 900 posts on the forum. (There was a good selection of people in the 1 to 900 post bracket as well showing that new members were being retained.) Those numbers are almost exactlly opposite of those here. New members are very active there and no one has been vilified without multiple opportunities to change their ways. Even then disprespectful posts are not tolerated. Not even from long-term members. Many of the topicss brought up are redundant. Face it, with the large numbers of experienced homesteaders on the forum it'll be hard to find a topic that hasn't been discussed already. The fact is, however, that to the new people these are new topics. By opening a new thread on an old topic the new people have a chance to contribute even though the information has already been discussed before. The experienced people on the forum tend to enter the debate sparingly unless there is harmful information being presented. New posts by long-term members usually center around what they're doing in their life. Some banter takes place and threads do get derailed but overall it's a safe environment for newbies. Knowledgeable members need to be facilitators or menters to new people ... not adversaries.

In case you're wondering, I've had extensive education in church growth strategies and the same dynamics present on this board are present in stagnant churches. They have visitors but they don't often return. They have members but only a few percentage wise, are active. New members are often thought of as a liability rather than an asset. If a new member drops out they are quickly forgotten or dismissed as having the wrong doctrine. It must be remembered that stagnant is different from dying. Stagnant just means there's no movement. A church (or any other organization) can remain stagnant for a long time.

Why a time limit to not harping about introductions or doing a search on previous threads? If these are bad practices why would anyone want to resume them? If they're good, why stop?

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Lastly, Rick: You are abrasive and touchy. If there was one person on this forum that made me least likely to return, it was you. I thought it was just because I was a woman and preferred a nicer approach even when I thought someone was an idiot or I wanted to kick them in the butt. Since I'm adamantly opposed to the feminizing of the American male, I left it alone. But a lot of the other men on this forum manage to BE men without feeling threatened or disrespected, and they were the ones that made it worth coming here.

This is a big forum with lots of subjects that should appeal to a wide base of members. There should be room for whoever has a question about anything pertinent to the purpose of this forum, and enough people interested in having a discussion with them. If you feel like "been there, done that", go to a different thread.

First, I guess Rick's sense of humor isn't for everyone I guess. I personally find him fun AND informative...but I don't expect to be treated with kid-gloves, so maybe that' where we differ. I've never taken issue with the way he has addressed me...and when I see him addressing someone harshly, it's usually because of something that person already did or said.

I agree. Everyone should have a voice...and here, I find they do. As long as the rules are followed and you treat everyone as you would wish you would be treated...everyone kind of goes with the flow. If you go too far, you get told him private and that's that. But...while we all have a voice or an opinion here...it's not always going to be interesting to the masses. This could be for many reasons...but most of the time it's not because you're boring or someone doesn't like you...it's because the topic has already been discussed many times and it's simply old.
I've become someone who does a search before I ask a question, especially if I'm in the mood to draw people into a discussion. ;)

Don't be offended by some of the "rough" personalities here. There are VERY few that mean anything by it. We have many with a dry sense of humor or very little interest in using smilies to soften what can inadvertently come across as harsh.(as printed communication has a tendency to do.) Just don't read too much into it. ;)

Alaskan Survivalist
05-20-2011, 03:04 PM
3. If this forum is sleepy then it's an easy fix. Instead of lamenting why not post something of substance?

Exactly!!!!!!

Chris
05-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey folks, I'm not a fan of the "go post an introduction" or "try using the search feature" comments. You'll never see me make them, they're not my thing.

Introductions are nice, but you don't want it to sound like an order. And the search feature can be useful, but it can also be useless if you're searching for a word found in many, many, posts.

I think a better way of soliciting introductions, is if you want to promote them, make it a signature statement. No reason why you can't turn your signature into an introduction request. You can also answer the question and say, and the end, "Don't forget to introduce yourself in the introductions forum."

You also shouldn't sweat people for their credentials in an introduction. They could always just lie anyways.

The search feature, as I said it can be useless. Sometimes you remember the thread you're thinking of in your head, you remember the title, the subforum, maybe the author, so you can find it easily. It will be much harder for the newbie to find who is just going off of vague keywords. It is also okay for a forum to have two threads on the same topic. So you could just answer the question, if you know it, or do a quick search and link the thread you're thinking of.

But also think about magazine subscriptions. You may subscribe to a trade or niche magazine for awhile (not something that reports current events), but eventually, you start to notice the articles repeating themselves, or you're no longer getting new information from it. So you cancel your subscription. This is normal churn, and while I don't want anyone to cancel your non-paid subscription here (and since you don't pay for it, you don't have a reason to), but it is normal for there to be churn, when people get bored, or masters or the information.

Of course, if I wanted just to skyrocket the participation rate, I could make one subforum on Politics, one on Religion, and one on Zombies and we'd have a ton more posts, but not necessarily the posts I'd like.

Here, by the way, are the monthly new user registration statistics:

April 2007
26May 2007
48June 2007
66July 2007
95August 2007
60September 2007
114October 2007
98November 2007
116December 2007
107January 2008
140February 2008
112March 2008
135April 2008
164May 2008
177June 2008
133July 2008
123August 2008
99September 2008
125October 2008
97November 2008
136December 2008
152January 2009
178February 2009
148March 2009
163April 2009
143May 2009
112June 2009
120July 2009
181August 2009
196September 2009
130October 2009
124November 2009
137December 2009
124January 2010
134February 2010
96March 2010
161April 2010
106May 2010
104June 2010
119July 2010
123August 2010
135September 2010
130October 2010
86November 2010
108December 2010
156January 2011
220February 2011
181March 2011
259April 2011
208May 2011

As you can see, it is pretty solid growth. You'll also notice that registration seems to spike in the winter and taper in the middle of the summer, which would seem odd (really) unless it is like crash said, we're all outdoors (or, perhaps, all the outdoor/survival shows filmed during summers are then put on TV during the winter).

Rick
05-20-2011, 05:26 PM
But a lot of the other men on this forum manage to BE men without feeling threatened or disrespected, and they were the ones that made it worth coming here.

I got news for you sweet heart. I don't feel threatened or disrespected by you or anyone else. I'm not touchy either. I'm about as laid back a person as you want to meet. If you had said I was opinionated, I'd buy that. Abrasive, perhaps to you. But then I know from the get go I won't make friends with everyone. I don't even try. If it works out fine if not then I guess you just have to live with it. If you find me all those wonderful things then it's just something you'll have to get over or learn to live with because it doesn't bother me one iota.

And the next time you decide to single me out why not be an adult and do it privately? If you or anyone else has a problem with me then step up and tell me. You won't make me mad. Just do it privately.

Finally, it's a forum. You know? A forum. It's not your real life. If you get your feathers ruffled here then I truly feel sorry for you.

doug1980
05-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I can't really speak for anyone but myself on this subject. I haven't participated very much lately for many reasons. Little Travis keeps me very busy, I have a lot going on in my life currently, been getting things ready for our move. So personal reasons keep me away from the computer. I also am a member of many other forums that pertain to my many hobbies. Another reason is this site has become a bit boring. Nothing really new happens that pertains to survival. The General Chat area is always hoping but most of the time it's stuff I'm not interested in. Unless I have a question I rarely post anymore and when I do post to try and spark something I get a dozen people knit picking my post which causes me to not bother. There is absolutely a "clique" here, several to be exact. There are those that seem to hate answering "dumb" questions, there are the jokesters who don't know when to stop and just clutter up potentially informative posts, there are the lurkers and then those that just don't seem to fit in. It's really no different here than any other forum. I have no issues with it, it is what it is. Many people use it as a form as social communication, just like MySpace or Facebook. There is some great info here too if you dig deep enough. I don't want to say the topics here are very limited because they are not, but the basics have been rehashed many times and until we all can come up with new material it will be stagnant. I'd say that at least 70% of new members only join to ask a few questions and once they have their answer they leave. Those that stay either wish to share their knowledge, but often get tired of repeating themselves. Then there are some that can only add a limited amount of knowledge on a few subjects so they run out of things to post. That's where the random off topic chatter comes in. Personally I will not post on a topic just because I'm bored, unless I have something constructive to add which I seldom do. I enjoy my time here even if it isn't perfect, I've made some great friends, learned a lot and hope I've added useful info or at least entertainment. I have no issues or ill will towards any member and will continue to read and participate when I can.

I forgot to add... If you really want to liven it up lets start talking about Politics and Religion. That would be entertaining. :)

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 06:09 PM
I got news for you sweet heart. I don't feel threatened or disrespected by you or anyone else. I'm not touchy either. I'm about as laid back a person as you want to meet. If you had said I was opinionated, I'd buy that. Abrasive, perhaps to you. But then I know from the get go I won't make friends with everyone. I don't even try. If it works out fine if not then I guess you just have to live with it. If you find me all those wonderful things then it's just something you'll have to get over or learn to live with because it doesn't bother me one iota.

And the next time you decide to single me out why not be an adult and do it privately? If you or anyone else has a problem with me then step up and tell me. You won't make me mad. Just do it privately.

Finally, it's a forum. You know? A forum. It's not your real life. If you get your feathers ruffled here then I truly feel sorry for you.
Maybe it was that "thong" pic; just sayin' :sneaky2: :innocent:

BENESSE
05-20-2011, 06:13 PM
If people have so many issues here in a virtual community, I shudder to think what's it like for them in the real world where one doesn't often have the luxury of clicking people away and putting them on ignore.
Seriously, I just don't understand the whole hullabaloo. Could be because I expected a little more resilience from people who prepare for TSHTF and TEOTWAWKI on a daily basis. Maybe they ought to include in their preps the human interaction factor beyond "shoot first, ask questions later". Could come in handy during those business as usual times.

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't ask for intros near as much as I used to. If someone just butts in here without one I ignore them,,,usually; unless I might suspect that they're a troll or a spammer. If someone asks a question regarding equipment, or survival knowledge, then I NEED more info in order to answer their question properly. I feel that it's the responsible & mature thing to do. If you decide not to give an intro then I decide not to give info, clear? That's MY decision & is not open to discussion. Ya'all can do what you want, but like Rick said, I don't give info about blades & guns to people I know very little about. Chris is right, they can just lie if they choose, but then it's on them, not on me. :cool2:

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Seriously, I just don't understand the whole hullabaloo.

I believe the original concern is that for a survival forum, there are hardly any survival related postings anymore. Or atleast that's how I see it.

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Ranger...it's because you're in the general chat section. LOL. It's the only section that doesn't have predominately survival topics.

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Ranger...it's because you're in the general chat section. LOL. It's the only section that doesn't have predominately survival topics.
Great point! I just checked the other forums to see how they're doing and they're all going great! Great pointTrabitha! :clap: :thumbup1:

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 06:32 PM

Lol. Let me add to that statement. When a survival related thread is started, it may receive only very few replies. Usually with the first 5 or so replies, a joke is posted somewhere and the thread is derailed.

canid
05-20-2011, 06:35 PM
yes; this community of being destroyed from within by it's good nature and jovial character.

here's an idea; you can still discuss the original topic even when other people are having a bit of fun.

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Lol. Let me add to that statement. When a survival related thread is started, it may receive only very few replies. Usually with the first 5 or so replies, a joke is posted somewhere and the thread is derailed.
Is that why your avatar always shows you with out a shirt? Just curious.

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 06:49 PM
I have no problem with a person being jovial and kidding around but the sections are divided for a reason. For instance, "General Survival Discussion: For anything survival related not covered elsewhere." This section is supposed to be related to SURVIVAL. "General Chat: Talk about anything except politics & religion." I would see the joking and playing go here. One of the most recent problems I saw was the thread about Ray Mears that, in my opinion, was rudely derailed. It was posted in the General SURVIVAL section, so I think the thread should have stayed on topic. If it was in General CHAT, then I would have seen no problem with the way it went.

The above example is just one of many derailments in a topic oriented section. I also am only referring to the derailment, not the actions that led to a course of discipline.

canid
05-20-2011, 06:52 PM
i know; i know. beyond a certain point it's like grade school. too much seriousness and it's no fun for us, and too much jocularity and nobody's paying attention to the subject. i think the usual approach of 'now, now kids' would probably work just fine as long as it's implemented as needed for people to show some respect for on-topic posting. i've seen it happen here quite a few times.

when people post in a given thread, they face a choice to continue the original topic, or join the current momentum. if the current momentum is a tangent, but is more interesting or amusing, it's likely to draw more attention and participation. this applies to you too. you always have the choice to keep discussing the original topic. if people care, they will respond to it. it's not as if there can be only one line of thought in a thread at a time. it's the way things are supposed to work, more or less, but the entire history of dialog, conversation and internet chat, newsgroups and forum posting paint the first picture.

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 06:53 PM
I have no problem with a person being jovial and kidding around but the sections are divided for a reason. For instance, "General Survival Discussion: For anything survival related not covered elsewhere." This section is supposed to be related to SURVIVAL. "General Chat: Talk about anything except politics & religion." I would see the joking and playing go here. One of the most recent problems I saw was the thread about Ray Mears that, in my opinion, was rudely derailed. It was posted in the General SURVIVAL section, so I think the thread should have stayed on topic. If it was in General CHAT, then I would have seen no problem with the way it went.

The above example is just one of many derailments in a topic oriented section. I also am only referring to the derailment, not the actions that led to a course of discipline.
As far as I know Chris has not laid down any hard & fast rules about going off topic, and he's the guy who would have to do that. Then everybody would be required to re-sign a new listing of rules. Sounds kinda complicated to me. However, if that all came about I'd enforce them. Wonder how many "deleted posts" we'd have in the 1st week?

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Is that why your avatar always shows you with out a shirt? Just curious.

I'm not following you as to what you meant? But I'll give it a try anyway. I don't see how an avatar or signature of anybody interferes with the subject matter of a section.

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 06:57 PM
I like the light-heartedness of this forum. It's friendly...and for the most part...fun to be at. Many times a topic is a question and with all the knowledgeable people we have here, the question gets answered rather fast. Does the topic go off the rail after that? Yeah...but is there really anything more to talk about after the question has been answered? ;)
I just ignore what I don't want to read. Guess I can't understand people that can't do that. It really adds far too much stress to your life to get so upset over the little things. ;)

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm not following you as to what you meant? But I'll give it a try anyway. I don't see how an avatar or signature of anybody interferes with the subject matter of a section.
I was making a joke while derailing you. :sneaky2: :innocent:

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 07:01 PM
No doubt it would be complicated and tedious, but think of it this way: If you are a new student to music class, would you want to have to sort through the rubbish talk of what the celebrities are wearing in order to find the information to become a better musician, or would you want to have that relative information easily attainable?

I believe the idea of having the information easy to attain without having to sift through the non-relevant posts would introduce more members to posting and increasing the activity. The idea of this is not to stifle any sense of personality, as we can still have that over in the General Chat thread.

rebel
05-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Looking for Ideas on how to put some life (Postings) into this forum. Other than saying "Hello and Welcome to the Forum" to the new members, there is little to post too here. Maybe it is the nature of the subject matter here, maybe we have touched all the bases and all knowledge is in the archives, maybe it is the matrix of the members. I just find it odd that there can be "No new posts" for several hours in the middle of the day or early evening. What say you........???

Maybe, we should all have a few adult beverages and see how lively it gets.

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Maybe, we should all have a few adult beverages and see how lively it gets.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 07:06 PM
I was making a joke while derailing you. :sneaky2: :innocent:

Well there are other pictures I'd rather look at for my avatar, but those might get me in trouble. :innocent:

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 07:09 PM
No doubt it would be complicated and tedious, but think of it this way: If you are a new student to music class, would you want to have to sort through the rubbish talk of what the celebrities are wearing in order to find the information to become a better musician, or would you want to have that relative information easily attainable?

I believe the idea of having the information easy to attain without having to sift through the non-relevant posts would introduce more members to posting and increasing the activity. The idea of this is not to stifle any sense of personality, as we can still have that over in the General Chat thread.

But...we're all adults here...and most of us have either grown up with the web or have enough exposure to it to know what it's like. It's like having a conversation with 20 people at one time at a party. If you can't deal with it...well...the web can be a very overwhelming place. What you're proposing is to have this site (which is for the most part a very safe and friendly place.), do what no other successful site that I've even been to...HASN'T done or wants to do. You're asking for massive censorship and over moderation. Do you really want that...or would you just rather assume that the adults reading the thread will find what they need regardless of our goofing around? :)

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm asking for courteous posters and would want that. Courtesy and respect for others.

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 07:16 PM
So you find the goofing around, even though it's light hearted...to be disrespectful? Really?

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm asking for courteous posters and would want that. Courtesy and respect for others.
I appreciate what you're asking for but feel that it's unrealistic. Oft times we get rude & discourteous people here. Then the nature of the "rugged individualist" is oft-times anti-social. The friendly, joking banter here is, IMO, needed to help people from getting angry over certain responses as that is surely what would happen if we all started to act super-serious. We already have an "anti-flaming" rule in place, and that only works part of the time. :cool2:

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 07:21 PM
If a person is trying to learn and the goofing around is distracting or a hinderence, then yes. I do find it disrespectful to the one learning.

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 07:23 PM
I know it is impossible to have everyone happy and people are going get their stuff wadded up, but what does it say about us if we don't even try to be courteous?

2dumb2kwit
05-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Is it just me, or are the people who don't like the way the forum works suggesting that to increase the post count, the people who post the most should limit their posting?

canid
05-20-2011, 07:29 PM
i think we do; i feel sure i haven't imagined it.

2dumb2kwit
05-20-2011, 07:31 PM
BTW...I also find it funny, that Me and Kens BS was going to kill the forum, but now that we don't post much, the forum is almost dead.....because Rick and crash are killing it! LOL Tooooo funny!

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not suggesting the limiting of posting, but the posting of off topic ideas on specific sections. And while we may not insult each other (usually), I do find it discourteous to derail a legitimate thread asking for advice or thoughts. See example above.

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 07:33 PM
If a person is trying to learn and the goofing around is distracting or a hinderence, then yes. I do find it disrespectful to the one learning.
Sweetheart...we're on the web. I can understand if you were talking about a classroom...but we're talking about a MESSAGE BOARD. That argument seems more than a little unrealistic.

BENESSE
05-20-2011, 07:35 PM
BTW...I also find it funny, that Me and Kens BS was going to kill the forum, but now that we don't post much, the forum is almost dead.....because Rick and crash are killing it! LOL Tooooo funny!

Precisely. Which is why I'd love to see Dogman's idea implemented for an entire month. Or even a week. NOthing will change!

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't see it as unrealistic because the person is still wanting the same end results, to learn. Just different mediums.

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Then may I suggest that if you are in a learnin' type of mood, you not go to a discussion forum, but take advantage of the plethora of information that has been provided to us: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/ ;)

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Lol. I have looked at the main page, but when I try to type to it, I don't get any response. ;)

Trabitha
05-20-2011, 07:46 PM
LOL! Goofball.

2dumb2kwit
05-20-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm not suggesting the limiting of posting, but the posting of off topic ideas on specific sections. And while we may not insult each other (usually), I do find it discourteous to derail a legitimate thread asking for advice or thoughts. See example above.

Yes, you should see the example above. There were some points made there, that you should try and learn from. You know...learn something. Isn't that why your here?

RangerXanatos
05-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes, you should see the example above. There were some points made there, that you should try and learn from. You know...learn something. Isn't that why your here?

Yes, I am here to learn, and I have learned. To what points are you referring?

Sarge47
05-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Yes, I am here to learn, and I have learned. To what points are you referring?
I think you're trying to push everybody into a "cookie-cutter" personality type & it isn't going to happen. It's not a perfect world. BTW, the whole thing sounds boring to me. :yawnb:

LowKey
05-20-2011, 08:38 PM
I certainly don't have any ruffled feathers.
When initially looking for information on emergency preparedness other than the CDC after being out of practice for many years, I checked out several places. Most had a lot of youngsters doing the rambo thing or talking about their tacticoolness or 'surviving by firepower' and a lot of other nonsense. A lot of them revered the TV show image of Survival fantasy or at the other extreme embraced the militant edge that really creeps me out about any holocaustal survival scenario.

This forum, believe it or not seemed far more adult, level, and well-based. Chris's outer shell pages that surround the forum are well thought out and provided just the right information to pull me in for a better look. Sure there are all kinds of personalities here. Am I 'afraid' of some of them? No, not really. I can give as good as I get. I do know I'm not as experienced as most of them in 'Wilderness Survival'. But that's not all this forum is good for. There is a lot of information here on a lot of other topics.

I don't think you should even begin to think about limiting anyone's posts or even suggesting that. And the idea that joking around makes it harder to learn is silly. A person who is serious about learning should be mature enough in their quest to see through the joking around while learning what they can. It is very clear in the posts here who is joking around. I've never seen a bad advice comment given as a joke as I see in some other non-related forums, which is commendable here as it could be dangerous. I've seen forums where they tried to keep posts On Topic and there is nothing that kills the exchange of information faster, and can lead to a very boring forum. This isn't a list server. You want just info, go find one of those. This is an interactive forum.

As for intros, it really does help to know the skill level of a person asking a question.

There, I've written yet another book for no really good reason.

mosquitomountainman
05-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Its been interesting watching this thread develop and it went the direction these things usually go. You have one group trying to explain why and what kind of change is needed and the other group digging in their heels lamenting that the problem is obviously the new people. How many of these responses go along the line of, "if they don't like it here they should move on, grow up, get real, etc."? It's sooooo like an ingrown church. The "old guard" doesn't really give a rat's behind about anything except maintaining the status quo. The church (or forum) remains stagnant and it's always everyone else that's to blame.

Very valid concerns have been mentioned (by numerous people) about introduction abuses, searching for old threads, and constant joking around to the point of being disrespectful to the original poster. If your reaction is that those concerns are not legitimate and you aren't going to change your behavior then you are the problem.

The numbers of new members looks impressive until you start perusing threads then one has to ask where all these people are? Look at this thread. How many posts are from the same group of people? The new people spoke thier piece and left. They're probably watching to see if their concerns are taken seriously. Obviously a few of the old guard have taken them seriously but they've been blown off by the more vociferous here. If this is your private chat room let everyone else know up front so that they don't waste their time. Maybe I'm off track by believing you want new people taking part.

Few churches recover at this stage because the people who made it the way it is; 1. Won't admit that they are the problem. 2. Won't take the steps to rememedy the situation because the problem isn't "them." In their opinion it's the new people who aren't "committed, sincere, or are too immature, childish," etc. 3. Have run off everyone of independant thought and action who could step in and fill their leadership roles. So if they leave the church falls on hard times. If they stay the church remains stagnant. There'll be a constant stream of new people coming in the front door and an equal number of people exiting the back door. They think they're growing and they are on the roster but they never address the issue of inactive members. I've seen churches with over 500 members but less than 50 in attendance on any given Sunday.

Sorry to keep coming back to the stagnant church model but this thread fits it to a "T."

canid
05-20-2011, 09:00 PM
then i suppose i am the problem. shame.

LowKey
05-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Canid, you are not the problem.
This thread is going in circles itself.
If you find something stagnant, stir it up.
No sense in just complaining about the smell either way.
This thread has been going on for near two days and I don't see any posts out there trying to spice things up.
You want a challenge, float it. See what happens.
You want more content, write it, or ask someone here about something you'd like to hear about.
Participate in a noob thread, even if it's just to welcome the person and introduce yourself. Maybe they'll get the hint.
If you don't like off comments, does this forum have an ignore function (haven't checked). If so, use it. You may miss out on some good stuff too but life's full of tradeoffs.

**** or get off the pot.
That is all.

BENESSE
05-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Well, I suppose this is a perfect time to take a sabbatical. Hope this turns out to be the place y'all want it to be. I liked it just fine.
Later...

Sourdough
05-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Ideas to enliven this sleepy forum.......?

kyratshooter
05-21-2011, 01:24 AM
I have stayed out of this for 6 pages of nonsense.

IF THE REGULAR POSTERS ARE TO REFRAIN FROM POSTING OR CHANGE THE FORUM STANDARDS PLEASE SET UP AN IDENTICAL FORUM WE CAN GO TO AND CONTINUE OUR DISCUSSIONS WHILE THIS ONE FALLS APART.

Every forum has more members than posters. It is the nature of forums. Folks do a google search, ask a half dozen meaningless questions and go back to their golf, knitting or turn on the ball game and sit under the AC. 90% of the people that register on most boards never post and drift away.

The main thing I like about this board is that the regulars are consistant, knowledgable and express themselves uniquely. I know I am not going to have to wade through a bunch of know-nothing crap to get information from People shooting .22 lr at 1,000 yards and heading into the Canadian North with their "Rambo knife and sack of rice".

I also know that if I get out of line someone is going to jerk a knot in my tail, same for others without reguard to post count.

There are plenty of forum boards where you can interact with ignorant newbies all day long only to find they are going to ignore you and try their own foolish way anyhow. Survivalist boards is their home. 30,000 people that know absolutely nothing giving each other "expert" information.

No new posts for several hours?

The folks here have things to do. Some have jobs. Some of us have chores. Some have hobbies. Some go out in the fresh air and do things. Some of us wash our socks more than twice a year!

We do not sit in front of the computer waiting for the next post. Some refer to it as "having a life".

crashdive123
05-21-2011, 05:56 AM
It has never been the goal to chase or scare new members away, nor has it been the goal to keep new members from signing up. Some very valid points have been made. Some - not so much. I'll do my best at not asking for intros since that seems to be a point of contention for many. To the point that was made about Mods and Admins weighing in on topics - again - I will do my best at holding off a response to the newbie questions of knife selection, hiking across Canada with no experience or gear, running away from society. I will not curtail my participation and interaction elsewhere in this forum though. My enjoyment comes from the interaction with others on this forum. Without that, there would really be no need for me to stay. I derive no pleasure from some of the "clean up" efforts that take place. My goal as a Moderator is to keep this forum running as smoothly as possible in accordance with the guidance received from the owner, as I'm sure it is the goal of Rick and Sarge as well.

For those that have a critical view of the Mods and Admins here, also understand that sometimes the questions that we have asked of new members is because of the amount of spammers and trolls that are dealt with on a daily basis. This forum has been the continual target of spammers - a lot of spammers. You usually don't see them, as we are fairly good at dealing with them quickly if we are on line. We also get our fair share of trolls - people that want to do nothing more than disrupt this forum for their own personal jollies, or some perceived wrong from the past. Often times the questions you may see to a new member are to confirm (or deny) whether or not they are here to cause trouble. The "staff" does its best at being even handed with regard to enforcing the rules. Doesn't matter if you have 20 posts or 20,000 posts, there are lines that if crossed, will cause one of us to step in and do our best at resolving it. Sometimes we are successful, and sometimes we are not. Again - it is our goal to make this a great place for everybody - just as it is yours.

rebel
05-21-2011, 06:12 AM
Amen, Kyratshooter. After a while you begin to notice how some ideas resurface. Some ideas are changed a little but, they smell the same. This one came out of the fan in many directions.

sjj
05-21-2011, 06:41 AM
This thread has developed into a discussion about increasing interesting and informative posts and attracting and keeping new members. Anyone who desires to do either - should simply do it - by posting interesting/informative posts and/or by posting responses to new members showing interest in what they have to say. The two are not the same. If change is desired, more will be accomplished by setting an example. I am always amazed that Rick and Crash almost "always" responds respectfully and with interest to "ANY and ALL" new threads that reflects any serious question or effort to present useful information. In other words, the administrators do more to engage both new and old members than the rest of this forum put together. Take a look at threads that have only generated a few responses - threads you may not have even opened because the name/subject didn't interest you - and you might be amazed how many times the administrators took the time to say something kind and respectful. They also consistently try to bring threads back to reality/sanity. I applaud our administrators.

randyt
05-21-2011, 06:48 AM
The OP was about livening the forum up and the thread seemed to have slid into something else. Some things are taken way to seriously IMO. I've seen some over the top posts. Remember the thread about shotguns? somebody posted that a baikel 16 g. is lighter than a 20 g. Then a member got all riled, for what? A simple "prove it" would have sufficed. Or the ray mears thread, somebody made a joke and the Op got all riled up. A simple "hey folks this is very important to me comment" probably would have gotten the thread back on track. It's no big deal. I haven't noticed any grammar or spelling police to speak of. Vulgarities are non-existent.

I don't know if this is the place to ask but why is the forum visited? For me it's to learn a little, rub elbows, show a project, see how other folks are doing, be a goof ball, unwind after a hard day at work, hopefully post something useful. This leads me to ask all newbies and lurkers "what keeps you from posting?"

mosquitomountainman
05-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Don't whine and get your undies in a knot. Some valid concerns have been expressed time and time again. Some things to change: stop insisting that new people introduce themselves, stop insisting that they look up old topics and don't let threads devolve into the endless and disprespectful joking , and nonsense that happens so often. It's disrespectful to the original poster and to those who actually came here to learn something.

It's nice that so many here have good relationships and can joke with each other but it's also cliquish and puts new people off. What you've done is drawn a little circle around yourselves and excluded everyone else. Save it for a chatroom or PM each other or set up your own section and do it there. The way you're doing it now is that you've set the entire forum up as your personal chat station.

Things for long term members to do: encourage new people, post things about what you are doing, be respectful, let new people know that you value their participation, appreciate new people and include them in the discussions instead of talking at them or ridiculing them.

Sourdough: There are few new posts because the forum has become like the residents at a retirement home. They've told each other their life stories several times over and they have nothing new to discuss. You need input and activity from new people.

Read what sjj had to say in post #106. These are the people you should be listening to.

Again, true change will depend on whether you want to make this forum your own personal chat room or you want it to grow. You decide. If you get your undies in a knot, pout, take your toys and run away or go sulk in a corner then you're probably the type that the forum would be better off without. If you're going to stick around be a positive influence.

Trabitha
05-21-2011, 09:48 AM
I see one serious complainer here...and I'm sorry to say it's mosquitomountainman. You just love to hand out the criticisms, don't you? How can one preach about being a positive influence when each post is riddled with crankiness and personal knocks? Here's a thought. Y'all came here for a reason. Because you LIKED what you saw. If you don't like it anymore, leave. Don't go on and on, post after post deliberately being offensive to those who have been here considerably longer and have grown a relationship.

How do you liven up a board? You most CERTAINLY don't chase off those who enjoy it and you DON'T tell the members to keep their humor and light heartedness to themselves.

MMM, I think you better take a nice long look at yourself and then rethink what it is you're claiming WE'RE doing.

mosquitomountainman
05-21-2011, 09:53 AM
I see one serious complainer here...and I'm sorry to say it's mosquitomountainman. You just love to hand out the criticisms, don't you? How can one preach about being a positive influence when each post is riddled with crankiness and personal knocks? Here's a thought. Y'all came here for a reason. Because you LIKED what you saw. If you don't like it anymore, leave. Don't go on and on, post after post deliberately being offensive to those who have been here considerably longer and have grown a relationship.

How do you liven up a board? You most CERTAINLY don't chase off those who enjoy it and you DON'T tell the members to keep their humor and light heartedness to themselves.

MMM, I think you better take a nice long look at yourself and then rethink what it is you're claiming WE'RE doing.

Typical and expected response. My only question was who'd be the first to resort to it. Like a wise man once told me. "If you throw a rock at a pack of dogs the only dogs who yelp are those the rock hit."

Trabitha
05-21-2011, 10:09 AM
I was not the one to throw the first rock. You just choose to resort to a self righteous reply. It's okay though. Admitting you are behaving badly when someone points it out to you is difficult. I do recommend you stop seeing your holier than thou behavior as acceptable, however.
If you feel I "yelped", you certainly have another thing coming. I'm not here enough for anyone especially YOU to know enough about me to make me yelp. I call it how I see it and I see you throwing MANY rocks in a desperate attempt to stir the pot for your own entertainment. That's a rather sad way to behave.

LowKey
05-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Sure it's a typical response.
Dude, she pegged you.

Since you're pulling stats, out of 100 posts, you've only started 2 threads (one is your intro that you appeared to offer without being told to) and judging from your answers on other threads, you have something to offer. Soooo????

Hey, I have over 900 posts. How'd that happen. So I must be one of your whiney ones.
Maybe if Chris removed the post counts, none of this would be an issue. I hate the stupid things anyway. They are no indicator of skill level or whether you belong to any clique or special annointed group. Only that you type a lot (or have a lot of free time.) I've seen professional forum nonsense games where people pitch in to write a nonsense story one word at a time to blow off tension. So much for any meaning in post count.

rebel
05-21-2011, 10:50 AM
This thread seems to have chased away several folks. Say what you want but, words are powerful. Some apologies are in order.

mosquitomountainman
05-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I was not the one to throw the first rock. You just choose to resort to a self righteous reply. It's okay though. Admitting you are behaving badly when someone points it out to you is difficult. I do recommend you stop seeing your holier than thou behavior as acceptable, however.
If you feel I "yelped", you certainly have another thing coming. I'm not here enough for anyone especially YOU to know enough about me to make me yelp. I call it how I see it and I see you throwing MANY rocks in a desperate attempt to stir the pot for your own entertainment. That's a rather sad way to behave.

Believe me I have better ways to entertain myself than this. My responses are in line with my education and experience. I didn't start this thread and I've attacked no one by name. I've posted some negatives and some positives. There is a problem here with getting new people to 1. stick around, and 2. take part. The problems are not with the new people. Go through some of the threads and cross out the portions that are LTM (long term members - those with over 1,000 posts) BS'ing with each other. The threads have very little real discussion of the original poster's question. If this is a private chat room then label it as such. Just remember that when an "outsider" sees all the banter from a group of people they see a "clique" and recongnize that they aren't a part of it. Those who are part of the "in" group see themselves as just friends getting together to shoot the bull. Others see a group of people with a wall around them that keeps others out ... unless they conform to "group" standards. If it's a forum for teaching and learning from each other then make it that. You've already decided by default and practice what you want out of this forum. Now it's time to step back and see where you are. If that's where you want to be then you've reached your destination. If it isn't, you need to change course and take this board where it should be going.

It's your decision.

rebel
05-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I guess the best way to respond is not.

Sarge47
05-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Believe me I have better ways to entertain myself than this. My responses are in line with my education and experience. I didn't start this thread and I've attacked no one by name. I've posted some negatives and some positives. There is a problem here with getting new people to 1. stick around, and 2. take part. The problems are not with the new people. Go through some of the threads and cross out the portions that are LTM (long term members - those with over 1,000 posts) BS'ing with each other. The threads have very little real discussion of the original poster's question. If this is a private chat room then label it as such. Just remember that when an "outsider" sees all the banter from a group of people they see a "clique" and recongnize that they aren't a part of it. Those who are part of the "in" group see themselves as just friends getting together to shoot the bull. Others see a group of people with a wall around them that keeps others out ... unless they conform to "group" standards. If it's a forum for teaching and learning from each other then make it that. You've already decided by default and practice what you want out of this forum. Now it's time to step back and see where you are. If that's where you want to be then you've reached your destination. If it isn't, you need to change course and take this board where it should be going.

It's your decision.
Opinions are like rectums, everybody's got one & they usually stink! Excuse me while I get up wind of yours. Nobody's going to do anything different because a few members don't like it. :cool2:

2dumb2kwit
05-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Has anyone here ever gone into an old gun shop, and found a couple of old guys talking about using squirrel to make brunswick stew over a camp fire? Did you go running and screaming out the door, because they weren't talking about guns? Did you tell them that the store was going to fail, because they were talking about food, there?

mosquitomountainman
05-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Opinions are like rectums, everybody's got one & they usually stink! Excuse me while I get up wind of yours. Nobody's going to do anything different because a few members don't like it. :cool2:

Attack the messenger? I've made some long posts in this thread. Can you point out where I'm wrong or I've misrepresented anyone or anything? Whoever said I came across as arrogant is correct and I apologize for that. If we were talking face to face I'd have probably presented things more considerately ... maybe. The older I get the less patience I have with ... never mind. But there are no apologies for the information I've presented. If I said men never walked on the moon or that the holocaust never happened there'd have been posts made to prove my information was not correct. Since that hasn't happened and the only response has been personal attacks am I to understand that you can't refute what I've said?

This thread is deteriorating into personal attacks and name calling so unless you can come up with a new line of attack I'll just assume spectator staus awhile. In the meantime I'll close with a quote from you, "Nobody's going to do anything different because a few members don't like it." That illustrate exactly what I've been saying all along.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-21-2011, 01:45 PM
These cliques where in place when I arrived last year and my ways are different to most of them which I feel only made the conversation more interesting. I think of these guys more as a cadre that can be counted on to keep things going. If ideas can't stand up to the scutiny imposed it's probably because they are crap to begin with. I don't mean to stiffle conversation as SD suggests but sometimes when the facts are laid out that's all there was to discuss. Rick is hardly an imposing authority figure...Have you seen him in his thong? We can have long arguementive conversations about the economy but this is only because we are both clueless on the subject and I'm sure if there was somebody that knew anything about would be able to state the facts and stiffle that conversation. There are some that feel this is some kind of competition and take opposition as a blow to thier ego's so some "holding back" is needed to coddle thier delicate sensibilties. I'd like to take take as much of the competive nature out as possible. I could post so much more if I wasn't made to feel I was stepping on somebodies toes. Take into account also that not all survivalists are willing to share and want to preserve the secrecy of thier activities. I crossed that line long ago but have other things in place for my survival that I don't discuss.

If there is one thing I would see change when dealing with new people is not to jump so hard on the things they obviously don't know without trying to find out if they know anything at all. They could know something.

Sarge47
05-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Sorry MMM, my bad. On checking your profile I found no info & you never posted an intro so my talking to you is done! watch yer top-knot! :closedeyes:

Trabitha
05-21-2011, 02:04 PM

It's your decision.

Aaaaaand...you are the authority on what direction this board should be going...how? LOL! You are just so darn sure that you're way is the right way regardless. Aren't you?

Sarge47
05-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Aaaaaand...you are the authority on what direction this board should be going...how? LOL! You are just so darn sure that you're way is the right way regardless. Aren't you?
You catch on quick, Trab! :sneaky2: :thumbup1: :thumbup: :lol:

welderguy
05-21-2011, 02:13 PM
How about this, let people have fun, and build friendships and stop whining about off topic posts between members. As long as its not rude or flaming. I know when I first joined and for about a year I enjoyed being here. Now its become. A nest of whining bags that don't like joking around, unless they have a wise *** comment to make. I have enough drama with my ex wife to want to deal with it here.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-21-2011, 02:20 PM
I bet Bear Grylls would know what to do!

mosquitomountainman
05-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Sorry MMM, my bad. On checking your profile I found no info & you never posted an intro so my talking to you is done! watch yer top-knot! :closedeyes:

Uhmm ... You might check out:
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?14504-Howdy-from-NW-Montana

Good thing you're a moderator. Otherwise people might start wondering about your credibility.

welderguy
05-21-2011, 02:28 PM
I bet Bear Grylls would know what to do!

That's right he would have us all sit down and ha e a discussion over a nice warm glass of pee. Seems to solve his problems.

welderguy
05-21-2011, 02:30 PM

There seems to be a lot of that around here lately.

Rick
05-21-2011, 02:38 PM
MMM - You've been here a total of 5 months and know all the ills. You have very, very few posts of substance. Most are BS posts just like the rest of us. The difference is you and only you have the RIGHT answer. Tabitha has your number, though. She's spot on. You've earned no stripes with me and your opinions hold no weight.

The real villain here, in my opinion, is David. You do this about once a quarter. You jump on here and make a post about how bad the forum is and then sit back and watch everyone go at it.

It's simple. If you don't like the forum, move on. If you like the forum, stay. If you don't like the quality of the posts then make better posts yourself and stop whining. You are majoring in minors. I have more to do with my life than wet nurse a bunch of grown kids and whiny old cranks. Get off your butt and go live your life. Cripes.

Sourdough
05-21-2011, 02:56 PM
MMM - You've been here a total of 5 months and know all the ills. You have very, very few posts of substance. Most are BS posts just like the rest of us. The difference is you and only you have the RIGHT answer. Tabitha has your number, though. She's spot on. You've earned no stripes with me and your opinions hold no weight.

The real villain here, in my opinion, is David. You do this about once a quarter. You jump on here and make a post about how bad the forum is and then sit back and watch everyone go at it.

It's simple. If you don't like the forum, move on. If you like the forum, stay. If you don't like the quality of the posts then make better posts yourself and stop whining. You are majoring in minors. I have more to do with my life than wet nurse a bunch of grown kids and whiny old cranks. Get off your butt and go live your life. Cripes.

Hear ye' hear ye, god hath spoken. And me thinks the god is muffed. As god hath spoken so shall it be in the land of WSF. And it came to pass that as he did bequeath that those who would aspire to enhance the quality and subsidence of the forum were once again invited to be banished. And the god said, I have quieted the malcontents.

doug1980
05-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Well if this thread isn't lively I don't know what is. :)

Sourdough
05-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Well if this thread isn't lively I don't know what is. :)

I agree this is the way a "Open" forum should be.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Constructive criticism is one thing...Sniveling crap is another.

How much open honesty do you want?

doug1980
05-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree this is the way a "Open" forum should be.

I'm afraid your idea of an "open" forum isn't going to happen here. I agree that there seems to be a lack of relevant substance here, but most of those who regular this site seem to enjoy it the way it is. This site is more of a place to shoot the **it for many. Whether it's because they know all there is to know about the subject matter or because it's boring to rehash the same crap over and over. I got very bored here just like you seem to be now, so now I seldom visit. The fact is it's not anyone's fault here that I got bored it was my own. I also realized that only I could fix it, which I did. I understand what you are trying to do, you want to make this a better forum, I get that, but it isn't in your power nor your responsiblity to do so. The majority is happy and content with the way it is and that is a good thing. I just don't want you to waste your time trying to fix something that many feel isn't broke. Now go work on your cabin and install that toilet, that's a priority. :)

mosquitomountainman
05-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Nope, never claimed to know all the ills. If you know what to look for some ills are obvious. Look at the numbers. Only a very small percentage of new people post here. And of those that do, very few are ever heard from again. Your response is of course "if you don't like it leave." Be sure to keep the "group think" restriction in place. I've asked if anyone has any information that would prove my assertions wrong. The only answer forthcoming is personal attacks on me. Am I the only one who said it was out-of-line to hammer people about introductions? Am I the only one who said it was counterproductive and disrespectful to derail people's threads with mindless banter? Am I the only one to mention the constant referrals to people to use the search feature? Am I the only one to refer to this board as "cliquish?" Look at those who do these things and you'll find the finger points squarely at you and a few other vociferous individuals on this forum. Yet your response is not correction of the problem but to silence the messengers. Quite frankly, you've made this board a hostile environment for new people. Why should they stay to be badgered by a few bad apples in the group. ... But then, that's what you want, isn't it! For them to shut up and go away if there's any disagreement with you.

mosquitomountainman
05-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm afraid your idea of an "open" forum isn't going to happen here. I agree that there seems to be a lack of relevant substance here, but most of those who regular this site seem to enjoy it the way it is. This site is more of a place to shoot the **it for many. Whether it's because they know all there is to know about the subject matter or because it's boring to rehash the same crap over and over. I got very bored here just like you seem to be now, so now I seldom visit. The fact is it's not anyone's fault here that I got bored it was my own. I also realized that only I could fix it, which I did. I understand what you are trying to do, you want to make this a better forum, I get that, but it isn't in your power nor your responsiblity to do so. The majority is happy and content with the way it is and that is a good thing. I just don't want you to waste your time trying to fix something that many feel isn't broke. Now go work on your cabin and install that toilet, that's a priority. :)

Now that's spot-on!

2dumb2kwit
05-21-2011, 04:13 PM

The real villain here, in my opinion, is David. You do this about once a quarter. You jump on here and make a post about how bad the forum is and then sit back and watch everyone go at it. It's simple. If you don't like the forum, move on. If you like the forum, stay. If you don't like the quality of the posts then make better posts yourself and stop whining. You are majoring in minors. I have more to do with my life than wet nurse a bunch of grown kids and whiny old cranks. Get off your butt and go live your life. Cripes.

But he contributes so much "boots in the field" info!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/search.php?searchid=261790

Oh...wait. LOL

2dumb2kwit
05-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Nope, never claimed to know all the ills. If you know what to look for some ills are obvious. Look at the numbers. Only a very small percentage of new people post here. And of those that do, very few are ever heard from again. Your response is of course "if you don't like it leave." Be sure to keep the "group think" restriction in place. I've asked if anyone has any information that would prove my assertions wrong. The only answer forthcoming is personal attacks on me. Am I the only one who said it was out-of-line to hammer people about introductions? Am I the only one who said it was counterproductive and disrespectful to derail people's threads with mindless banter? Am I the only one to mention the constant referrals to people to use the search feature? Am I the only one to refer to this board as "cliquish?" Look at those who do these things and you'll find the finger points squarely at you and a few other vociferous individuals on this forum. Yet your response is not correction of the problem but to silence the messengers. Quite frankly, you've made this board a hostile environment for new people. Why should they stay to be badgered by a few bad apples in the group. ... But then, that's what you want, isn't it! For them to shut up and go away if there's any disagreement with you.

No. Not the new people......just the people who ***** and moan.

You are telling us how to solve a problem, that only a few crybabies think's is an actual problem.

rebel
05-21-2011, 04:35 PM
It's like the time I went fishing in a small boat with the neighbor and his kid. The kid was flipping hooks everywhere! If you've been there you know what I mean.

Sarge47
05-21-2011, 04:37 PM
No. Not the new people......just the people who ***** and moan.

You are telling us how to solve a problem, that only a few crybabies think's is an actual problem.
I strongly suspect that MMM might be related to a former French Marine Commando. If not they should hook up, they'd make a great couple!

Alaskan Survivalist
05-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Be sure to keep the "group think" restriction in place. I've asked if anyone has any information that would prove my assertions wrong.

When the rules are the same for everybody that's as fair as it gets. When I have called moderators on hypocracy it was acknowledged and applied. I can't even recall how many times I have gone against the status quo and not just in this forum. Much of what is promoted as fact amoung the survival community is based on very limited experience that became popular belief. I've never been able to get through a single Survivalist Boards blog that was obviously some professor theorizing how things are. The simple truth is there is no one in the wilderness handing out credentials. You've either done it or you havn't and its easy to tell who hasn't when you have. This is why I like the things SD has done to promote "Boots in the Field" and enjoy the hands on projects people do. Real people doing real things I find more interesting than expert BS. People with real experience should have no difficulty but when a person cannot make a case either thier credentials are worthless or they are lieing about having them.

Rick
05-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Hear ye' hear ye, god hath spoken.

Cute and so adult like. Can you put the geese on, please.

But then, that's what you want, isn't it! For them to shut up and go away if there's any disagreement with you.

I guess you just make my point for me. Thanks.

2dumb2kwit
05-21-2011, 04:49 PM
I strongly suspect that MMM might be related to a former French Marine Commando. If not they should hook up, they'd make a great couple!

MMM going commando.....EEEWWWWWW!!
That's worse than Rick, in a thong!

Sheez....I hope he doesn't have a picture! LOL

Oh, wait...you said......nevermind. LOL

canid
05-21-2011, 04:49 PM
nobody expects you to shut up and go away for disagreeing with others. the fact that this thread is 5 pages long is a pretty good testament to that. on the other hand, if you were to voluntarily pick one for a little while you probably wouldn't get a lot of objections from me.

Sarge47
05-21-2011, 05:00 PM
See, this is how you liven up a forum; you have some old fart of a troll come on here and start spewing crap! Live enough for you now? :2:

nell67
05-21-2011, 05:10 PM
*Can't we all just get along*:bawling::surrender::eek2::hugs:

Sarge47
05-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Attacking Mods is unacceptable. Most forums ban you at the start for doing such a thing. Say g'night, I'm locking it down! :devil2:

crashdive123
05-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Jeepers creepers! I rush to finish teaching class so that I could get back and see everybody one last time before the end of the world, and what do I find? It may have ended early! Quite a few points were made. The bottom line is that it is up to all of us as to how this forum is perceived by others. I was a little disappointed to read some of the back and forth exchanges. Locking the thread down was a good idea. Please do not let any hard feelings spill over into other parts of the forum.

OK - Now - Who can recommend the best survival knife.:innocent: