PDA

View Full Version : Camping this past weekend

RangerXanatos
05-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Me and a couple of friends went camping this past weekend. I had a great time, though the others didn't always enjoy it. We hiked in 1.5 miles and made camp along the river. Two of the people with me were complaing that it was too far for them but they kept following while they could have went elsewhere. We found a couple of good trees so me and another tag-a-long started setting up our hammocks while the other two were pitching their tent. Before I even got my tarp and hammock set up good, I had to administer first aid. My tag-a-long decided he wanted to throw his knife into a tree and it bounced back and hit him righ above the ankle. If we were closer to town, I would have gotten it stitched to close the gap but he didn't want that. I offered superglue if he wanted it instead after we cleaned it with alcohol but he didn't want it either. So I just pushed it closed and wrapped him up. He didn't complain too much about it. In fact, the next morning we hiked to a fish hatchery and back which was 5 miles altogether and he never said a word about his ankle. The other two were different though. The East Fork Trail soo turned into Fay's "Trail of Tears" as she started crying. Once again, they had the distance pointed out to them that it was going to be 2.5 miles to the hatchery, but they still wanted to go. It rained a little on us, but we stayed dry. It got a little chilly at night when the temperature got around the low 50's and you're sleeping in a thin fleece sleeping bag.

But it wasn't all bad. I showed them a couple of cool things like splitting wood with a saw, starting a fire an easier way then what they know, and boiling water in a plastic bottle. They all said they would like to do it again. I think next time I'll just go on the hikes by myself unless there is someone that doesn't complain as much.

Sorry for the bad flow. I've grown tired of writing for school.

hunter63
05-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the report.
Seems that this outdoor stuff isn't for everyone, LOL.

The proof is in the doing, so Kudos for putting up with exrta baggage...Hopefully they learned something and had a good time.......
You know, the old, "Some day you are gonna laugh......" Fun is funner when your home talking about it.

Rick
05-16-2011, 05:17 PM
And we only remember the "good ole days" never the "bad ole days". They'll forget about it soon enough. So will you.

PreppingToSurvive
05-17-2011, 07:14 AM
Even though it may not have been quite as enjoyable of a weekend get way, it was probably a worth while experience. Sounds like you got a chance to take care of some less experienced people during the trip.

finallyME
05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Man, now I think my scouts are angels compared to those people. I usually don't get complaints until mile 5.

Richard68
05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Nice, guess some were meant for the outdoors, while others should stick to reservations. Seemed like a good time anyway. thanks for the story.