PDA

View Full Version : Blacksmithing

Rick
01-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Some of you have expressed an interest in blacksmithing. You may be interested in this link:

http://www.anvilfire.com/

Assassin Pilot
01-28-2008, 07:32 PM
seems interesting, but I'll stick w/ professionals knives and blades

Smok
01-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks Rick I am teaching myself blacksmithing now and can use all the help I can get

Rick
01-29-2008, 08:16 AM
AP - It's a whole lot more than just knives. For those that have animals it can be used for shoeing. It can used to manufacturer any manner of metal products that one might need, particularly if they are homesteading or otherwise off the grid. Some folks just like the pleasure of being able to make something with their hands.

Assassin Pilot
01-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Ahhh, I guess I'm one of those folks when it comes to wooden objects, I just have no way to blacksmith (or learn to blacksmith) at the moment, time/money-wise.

Does it count if I can turn a paperclip into a fishhook?

Rick
01-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Actually, yes. To be successful in wilderness survival, it helps to understand the simple machines. There are only six. The inclined plane, the lever, the wedge, the screw, the wheel and axle (they work together) and the pulley.

Every machine on earth is constructed of one or more of those six simple machines. Your knife blade or ax head is nothing more than a wedge but it can also be used as a lever.

And converting an object into a usable tool or product is the essence of wilderness survival. (rabbit into food, wood into fire, paper clip into fish hook!).

Assassin Pilot
01-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Well some people say the gear is the 7th simple machine, but most consider that a wheel/axle. Just some food for thought.

Hmmm, I can make a paperclip into a needle, fishhook, firestarter (with battery), fishing spear (with stick), compass (with magnet), and use it to fix various objects..... I think everyone should from now on carry paperclips in their survival bag.

Kemperor
02-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah, paper clips are pretty handy an versatile little devils.

I've been looking into blacksmithing. Mostly bladesmithing, but you never know what type of metallic item you may need to make. Shoot, if you can make your own nails, then you're probably headed in the right direction.

RobertRogers
02-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Very fascinating subject that one can spend a lifetime learning

pgvoutdoors
02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I came across a very good book on blacksmithing by Alex W. Bealer called "The Art of Blacksmithing". http://www.amazon.com/Art-Blacksmithing-Alex-W-Bealer/dp/0785803955
He has written many other good books as well. http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Bealer,%20Alex%20W.
I'm sure many of you have either read his books or have heard of them, I believe they're worth looking into.

BatCat
02-08-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm still in the process of setting up my forge (work and life keep getting in the way:D). I got plan for a good sized charcoal forge and also a porpane forge for when the burn bans kick in around here.

I've been making my own tools and knives for about 10 years now. It's a good way to get rid of a day's worth of stress

BatCat