PDA

View Full Version : Beginner

Patrick2G
05-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm going camping and although we are bringing along our own food, my friends and I would also like to catch some fish and eat that. But I am not sure what fish to look for. What's safe, what's good/bad, etc?

Any help is appreciated!

BornthatWay
05-12-2011, 07:10 PM
depends upon the geographic area and is it pond, lake or river.

Rick
05-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Well, you might start by camping at our Introduction section and fishing up some information about yourself. It would be nice to know an approximate age range since the information we would give an 8 year old is quite a bit different than we'd give a 28 year old. It would also be nice to know some general geographic location since fishing in salt water will catch completely different fish than in fresh water. A state would help a lot.

EDIT: Sorry BTW. I was typing when you posted.

gryffynklm
05-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Location location location. Sea bass as a recommendation would do no good if you are camping on the shores of lake michigan. Why don't you stop by the introduction section and introduce yourself.

Welcome

your_comforting_company
05-13-2011, 05:54 AM
As far as I'm concerned, almost any fish you can catch in a survival situation is good. Catfish are rather easy to catch and don't require much finessing. They would probably be my goal fish because I can set up trot lines or limb lines or spring-trap type things to fish for them while I do other things, where bass would take a reel and rod and some "action" on the line to get them to bite.
But I prefer to eat white / striped bass.
I wouldn't normally eat gar or shad or blackfish or needlefish, but all bets are off when you're hungry and lost in the woods.

EdD270
05-14-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm with yourcomfortingcompany, I wouldn't eat gar on a bet. But when we lived in MO I knew several folks who would gladly trade you a couple of catfish for one buffalo or alligator gar.
The answer to your question depends on where you are, what kind of fish, etc.
If you are catching trout in a mountain lake or stream, just clean, gut, the fish, being sure to strip out all the blood along the backbone. Then put a couple of slices of bacon in the cavity, with a couple of small wedges of lemon, wrap in heavy aluminum foil, and put in the fire coals for a few minutes, turning every three or four minutes. Take out of fire, unwrap, eat and enjoy. Watch out for the little bones.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-14-2011, 11:39 PM
As mentioned location will determine what's available to catch. Usually you can find a small store that sells fishing tackle suited to the area. Ask and if they fish themselves will probably set you up with the right rig, give you some places to go (never thier own spot) and chew your ear off telling you tales of the greatest fishing adventures they ever had.

JPGreco
05-17-2011, 02:02 PM
better check the local laws too. You might have to get a license, as well as everyone else in your group.

rwc1969
05-18-2011, 12:38 AM
AS makes a good point, ask someone local. They'll know what's in season and what they're biting on.