PDA

View Full Version : Making a notch

HempKnight
04-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I watched one of the survivor shows and it showed them making a notch for an arrow they were making. he cut the wood in a couple different places then bent it slightly a few different ways and when he broke it apart he had a perfect notch in the wood. I searched this site, but didn't see a post on it. Anyone know what I am talking about? :eyepoke:

randyt
04-29-2011, 10:52 PM
come down on your shaft a couple inches, drill in a shallow hole with a awl, then drill in another shallow hole just across from the first hole. above those holes roughly 3/4 of a inch at a right angle to the holes take a knife and score a slot, then score another slot across the shaft, hold the shaft below the holes and grab the shaft above the score marks bend sideways. the shaft should split from the score marks to the holes. you may have to work it slowly, bending it back and forth. once it has separated from the scores to the holes, break the piece sideways from the holes. the piece should break off at the holes and you will have a slot left.

Rick
04-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Do you have a diagram or picture for that? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

randyt
04-30-2011, 07:12 AM
I'll cut a shaft today and take a couple pictures.

randyt
04-30-2011, 05:03 PM
here's a few photos of the process. The photos are awful but it shows the process.

here's a photo of the start. there are two slits or notches on the left hand and right hand side of the shaft. Above my thumb there is a hole made from a awl, on the back side of the shaft there is another hole. the top of the shaft is bent back and forth sideways until a split goes from the notch to the hole.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/001-10.jpg
then the shaft is turned and the small piece snapped sideways and broken away from the two holes.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/008-5.jpg
here's the slot ready for a arrow head.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/011-3.jpg

Rick
04-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Well, I have to tell you, that's pretty darn ingenious. Had to give you some rep for that and I appreciate you taking the time to post the pics. I've never seen a shaft done that way.

JPGreco
04-30-2011, 11:42 PM
thats awesome. Gonna have to give it a try for sure.

The hole you make though, does it go all the way through or just a little into the branch on each side?

randyt
04-30-2011, 11:45 PM
just a little on each side.

HempKnight
05-01-2011, 02:24 AM
Yeah man that's exactly what I was talking about. I was racking my brain trying to remember ... Many, many thanks!!

jack trapper
05-08-2011, 10:51 PM
I tried this notch idea and it works wonderfully, whoever came up with this; props to you!!!

Shalako
07-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Yep, you're making a NOTCH, but I think its called a NOCK

Sparky93
07-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Awesome, I would have never thought of that.

randyt
07-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Yep, you're making a NOTCH, but I think its called a NOCK
actually it's a notch for lashing a point to a arrow shaft. it could be shortened up and used as a nock though. a shallow notch used as a nock is typically abraded in with a rock chip.

Sparky93
07-15-2011, 12:12 PM
What materials are best for making an arrow shaft? It almost looks like your pictures are just a "woody" weed.

Shalako
07-15-2011, 07:12 PM
My mistake Randyt, I was thinking about the other end.

randyt
07-15-2011, 08:21 PM
My mistake Randyt, I was thinking about the other end.

It don't matter what it's called as long as we end up where we want to be. I have slang terms for things that nobody would know what in blue blazes I'm talking about LOL.

randyt
07-15-2011, 08:27 PM
What materials are best for making an arrow shaft? It almost looks like your pictures are just a "woody" weed.

I'm probably the last guy that should be giving advise on arrow making. In my opinion straight grain cedar split and shaved to a uniform dimension may be the "best" arrow material. Other than that any straight relatively uniform shoot should make a good arrow. Generally they are cut and tied up into a bundle to dry then processed and straightened.

crashdive123
07-15-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't know about best, but around here River Cane (a species of bamboo) is pretty popular.