PDA

View Full Version : Trout

Justin Case
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
My Sister gave me a few nice sized trout her friend caught,, she said the best way to cook them is to season and wrap in foil and throw on the grill,,,, what say you ?

RCKCRWLER
04-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Yup, gut em, wrap em, and enjoy em! You can even leave the heads on. Or, in true wilderness survival tradition make a fire, get two Y sticks and slide another stick through their mouths and gills and cook away as if stranded on a deserted island. Just drink a beer and not your own pee.:stuart:

Justin Case
04-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Yup, gut em, wrap em, and enjoy em! You can even leave the heads on. Or, in true wilderness survival tradition make a fire, get two Y sticks and slide another stick through their mouths and gills and cook away as if stranded on a deserted island. Just drink a beer and not your own pee.:stuart:

That sound more funner ;)

grrlscout
04-27-2011, 01:05 PM
They are quite tasty crusted in crushed hazelnuts too. :)

Justin Case
04-27-2011, 01:18 PM
I guess "Trout Helper" wouldn't be too good huh... :bored:

RCKCRWLER
04-27-2011, 04:35 PM
:eek2::eek2::fishface: lol...

cbr6fs
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Been fly fishing for about 30 years now, best way i've found is to wrap em up in some tin foil, table spoon of butter and a slice of lemon.

Then just add lemon to suit your flavour when cooked.

I'd leave the heads and skin on as well.

Aurelius95
04-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I agree with CBR. Gutted, buttered and a slice of lemon in the middle while you grill them. Wrapping in foil, flip once, they should cook in about 8-10 minutes, depending on how hot the fire is.

Also, I have eaten trout cooked over an open fire with a stick running through the mouth and out the tail. The stick is then angled towards the fire. Oh yeah, the fish were salted, but just on the inside. We ate the skin, too, which is pretty tasty when it's crispy like that. The skin of the fish when cooked in foil is mushy, and unappetizing.

Anyway you do it, I'm sure it'll be good.

PNW
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Take your large cast iron skillet, fry 4 slices of bacon. Remove to a plate. Throw a cut up potato in the bacon grease, sear on med. high heat until crispy brown. Remove to bacon plate. Put skillet back on the stove to get good and hot. Add a bit of butter. When it sizzles, slap a trout or two in the pan, 4 to 8 minutes a side. Personally, I like the skin crispy, so I may cook a bit longer if the heat is not high enough to produce results in the listed time. This is a pan you watch, dont go off and fiddle around somewhere or you will be sorry. Some make gravy; but I like a squeeze of lemon and a couple dashes of hot sauce. Dish up, eat well!

Justin Case
04-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Take your large cast iron skillet, fry 4 slices of bacon. Remove to a plate. Throw a cut up potato in the bacon grease, sear on med. high heat until crispy brown. Remove to bacon plate. Put skillet back on the stove to get good and hot. Add a bit of butter. When it sizzles, slap a trout or two in the pan, 4 to 8 minutes a side. Personally, I like the skin crispy, so I may cook a bit longer if the heat is not high enough to produce results in the listed time. This is a pan you watch, dont go off and fiddle around somewhere or you will be sorry. Some make gravy; but I like a squeeze of lemon and a couple dashes of hot sauce. Dish up, eat well!

mmmm that sounds GOOD ! :) (even at 5:30 in the morning ;) )

Justin Case
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
OK,,,,,,,, The grill is hot ,,,,, Potato's are frying,,, the vegetable's (squash, cauliflower,brockly blend) are ready to go in the Pot,, The Trout is seasoned with creole seasoning and lemon pepper, wrapped in foil ,,,, I think I am ready !! :) Let the Trout grilling begin ! ;) :)

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h435/scottinaz1/food/2011-04-29001001.jpg

finallyME
05-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I have done it many ways. I haven't really found a way that doesn't work. I do like to take the skin and head and tail off. I give those to my dog, she loves 'em. Cooking in a fire with foil is fool proof. I put whatever seasoning I have on hand. I try and mix it up by trying different seasonings. You can also bake it in your oven, just make sure it doesn't dry out.

EdD270
05-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Yup, the best trout I ever had was cooked by gutting and cleaning the fish, then putting a couple slices of bacon and a wedge of lemon in the cavity, wrapping it with heavy aluminum foil and putting it in the coals of a campfire for a few minutes. Man, that was good, I don't care who you are.