PDA

View Full Version : Teabags (not the bad kind)

WildGoth
01-28-2008, 05:04 PM
I have seen many recipes for bush tea but it seems resticted by where you are what about a unviersal tea recipe what is it you ask bring store bought teabags like the green tea ones or whatever and simply put it in a water tight container and for a added boost bring sugar packets :D i came about this idea when i was making tea in the morning and i wanted to bring some with me into the bush for the day and since a thermos was bulky i put some tea bags into a water tight container i had :D hope it helps

Beo
01-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Pine tea, sasafrass tea, even a tea made from boiled walnuts (don't even go there) is pretty good.

Rick
01-28-2008, 06:21 PM
No no on the sassafras tea. Carcinogen.

See my rant on:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=687&highlight=sasafras

Post 17.

Wildgoth - I always carry tea and coffee bags with me just in case. Thanks for the tip.

Tony uk
01-28-2008, 07:19 PM
I carry teabags with me when i got, I like the fruit infusions ones, more wildernessy

Rick
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Right, Tony. And you carry them in a hemp bag on a little hemp string. We know.

Sam
01-28-2008, 07:37 PM
you can also use tea bags to stop a cut from bleeding. Just don't tell your friends the next day at breakfast. ;)

trax
01-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Right, Tony. And you carry them in a hemp bag on a little hemp string. We know.

Why you're just downright nasty (please understand that was not a criticism :D)

Rick
01-28-2008, 07:40 PM
They say if you remember the 60's you were using the wrong drugs.:rolleyes:

dilligaf2u2
01-28-2008, 09:33 PM
They say if you remember the 60's you were using the wrong drugs.:rolleyes:

So if we remember the 50's, what? Are we seasoned or well preserved?

Don

Tony uk
01-28-2008, 09:35 PM
So if we remember the 50's, what? Are we seasoned or well preserved?

Don

Nither, You somoked

Kemperor
02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
I love tea, I prefer to brew it loose leaved. Harder to do that in the wild though. I still bring the infuser when I go camping.

Even if Sassafras has carcinogens, does it have an activating chemical? For instance, one who smokes weed is unlikely to get cancer, even though it has carcinogens, because THC counteracts the carcinogens. One who smokes Tobacco is more likely to get cancer because nicotine accelerates the carcinogenic constituents. Furthermore, check this out http://www.naturalfamilyinfo.com/Sassafras.html

I'm not saying that it doesn't give you cancer, but I'm also not necessarily agreeing that it does. If you smoke tobacco, however, the chance is greater that the safrole would be negatively affected and therefore produce cancerous growths. I got resources on it if you want them.

Rick
02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't disagree. As I said, it's anecdotal evidence but I tend to shy away from anything that has the potential to harm me. It's why I quit smoking tobacco years ago. I was on a medication a couple of years ago and the FDA issued a black box warning on it. Zip....straight to my PCP with the article in hand and said prescribe something else. I don't want to use it for ten years and find out they were right and I've got cancer. Same thing with sassafras. I've seen enough articles to suggest there might be some connection between it and cancer so why take the chance? There are so many other teas out there.

It might sound silly but I don't see a whole lot of difference between using any product that MIGHT cause cancer and Russian roulette.

nell67
02-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Used to drink sassafrass tea when I was a kid,have not had it in years,we have alot of sassafrass trees here on the property and was thinking about trying it again,and just happened to google it one day and got the 411 on the carcinogens in it,and decided to skip the tea.

Kemperor
02-04-2008, 08:44 PM
You make some very good points there Rick.

Assassin Pilot
02-05-2008, 07:44 AM
I'll drink pretty much any kind of tea I come into contact with, I don't really have any one that I like the most.

Rick
02-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Kemperor - Have you tried pine tea in the wild? That would eliminate the need to carry the infuser and your loose leaf tea. Not much of a weight reduction but pine is pretty prevalent.

dilligaf2u2
02-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Tea? Is that something like boiling weeds for drinking.

Now that I got the brits all upset. I have a (Pardon my expression) French press 32 oz insulated cup I use. Lipton loose tea and I almost wish I had coffee.

Tea and infusion. Sounds almost sick when put together.

Coffee Black and strong! Nothing more to say! Says it all!

Don

Rick
02-05-2008, 08:00 AM
I can't disagree, Don (he said as he sat at the keyboard drinking his morning java).

Assassin Pilot
02-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I am not too fond of coffee, but I drink tea every morning so my case would be the opposite of Rick's

Kemperor
02-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I drink both coffee and tea. Coffee in the morning, black or oolong tea at lunch, and green or white tea at dinner. Then I finish it off with a cup of Chamomile or Lemongrass before bed. Speaking of which, it is time for me green tea.

No, Rick, I never have had pine tea. There's some pine nearby fight now, I may have to try this before going into the wild. I assume I'm using just the needles and not the bark, right? I also like the idea Beo put forth about the walnut tea, I have a black walnut tree in my back yard. In which case I'm also going to assume that I'm only using the meat out of the nut and not the casing. I figure anything you can use to paralyze a fish wouldn't be too good to drink yourself.

Tony uk
02-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Strong coffee in the morning when your still half asleep is great, Expresso will get anyone up pritty fast

crashdive123
02-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Coffee gets my vote. Now that I'm no longer in the Navy I've cut back to about 15 cups a day.

Rick
02-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I generally carry both tea bags and coffee bags with me in a zip lock bag. I can't exist without my coffee in the morning but a cup of tea at noon is really nice especially when it's cold. I also carry a couple of pouches of apple cider mix that you can stir into a cup of hot water. That makes a nice diversion, too.

Kemperor
02-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Ah yes, good ol cider. Nothing like warming up from the cold while sitting next to a fire and drinking a nice warm cup.

Another good wild tea is the grand ol dandelion. Your liver will thank you. Birch bark is pretty decent, and a nice alternative for those missing the taste of sassafras. Not the same taste, but similar.