PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Smoker Advice

Rick
04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm in the market for a gas cabinet smoker. I've got a bullet smoker made by Brinkman or someone and it's okay but I'm constantly adjusting the temp. I'd really like a cabinet smoker I can set and check a few times but will hold a constant temp.

I've had a couple of pork shoulders on since about 8:00 this morning and I've worn the valve out adjusting the temp. Any good candidates out there?

your_comforting_company
04-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Are you wanting the meat cooked or smoked or both?
My regular grill works great for cooking and smoking at the same time, just adjust the air inlet and smoke outlet so that it can only smolder.

I saw "cabinet smoker" and I thought of my smokehouse cabinet I use for smoking skins. I just cut a hole near the bottom, used some flexy-exhaust pipe like what goes on a dryer to tunnel the smoke into the cabinet from the grill. Just open the grill if you need more fuel. I'm sure it would work just as well for curing meat strips, but I get the feeling you're not trying to make jerky out of the shoulders. As far as a fancy one that they sell at the store, I can't say.

GrillMaster makes some nice grill-type things that would work, but you'll have to check it often to keep the fuel smoldering. The advantage would be there are no "valves" to wear out.. just hinges on the lid haha.

2dumb2kwit
04-22-2011, 07:48 AM
I know it's not really what you asked for....and that these other places don't exist, but I just can't stop myself. LOL
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80125

Rick
04-22-2011, 07:49 AM
This is just for smoking. I have a grill that I really enjoy. The bullet smoker is okay. I considered it a low end unit. The temps vary wildly and you have to pull the lid off the meat if you have to add wood. That, of course, let's all the heat out. I'd prefer a two door cabinet.

your_comforting_company
04-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Any old box will work. pipe in the smoke and you can build your own smokehouse for nearly nothing. If you already have a grill, there's your firebox for making smoke.

I have a hunch you're toying with meat preservation tests or something like. If I remember right, cooked meat will spoil, but smoked meat will store. The flexy pipe allows you to keep the meat well away from heat so that it just smokes. Consider putting some pans in the bottom to catch drippings. This way you can keep the two side-by-side and just adjust the length of pipe to control how much heat goes in.
I actually took the doors and partition off my box to make it easier to hang stuff in. No need to open it really once I pull the tarp over, just open the firebox and throw in some more wood for smoke.

This is where I'm confused in your intention.. smoking is used to preserve and uses little heat, so it shouldn't make a difference if you open yours and let the heat out, as long as you don't let the smoke out. Or are you slow-cooking with smoke as for supper? you know.. cook it till it falls off the bone with good smoke flavor. IMO that's grilling.

If it were me, I'd visit the hardware store for lumber and nails and some hose. Use the bullet as the firebox and build a real smokehouse.

2dumb2kwit
04-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Oh, Oh, Oh....I have an idea!
If you could find a single burner camp stove, (wink, wink) you could put it in the bottom of your bullet smoker. Then put a small cast iron pan on the burner. This will radiate the heat, catch the drippings, and even hold your wood chips, for making smoke!:tongue_smilie::chef:

2dumb2kwit
04-23-2011, 12:00 PM
...or....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8